ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 12-26-17, 03:00 PM

Archerobx is on a distinguished road
Study help

I have been diagnosed less then month and on Adderall.im taking my last prerequisite before testing into nursing.
Last semester was first class Iíve taken that wasnít online in 15 ish years.
I struggled and that was the final straw to see a dr.
Iíve always had horrible study skills. I find that writing everything down helps. I rewrite tests and notes to study. And of course my mind wanders.

Iím hoping with medicine I will be able to silence the noise in my head and concentrate.

Any study tips or habits that yíall have and wouldnít mind sharing?
Iíd appreciate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Archerobx For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-26-17)
Old 12-28-17, 04:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,204 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Study help

The best study method is self-testing.

Re-reading and highlighting do not help. These techniques trick us into feeling "familiar" with the material.

You have to give your a question and write out the answer with no notes.

Here's the thing. What you struggle with (the questions you can't answer) are those where you next target your energy. But there's a ton of researching indicating that self-testing helps us learn, even when we still don't "know" all the material.

Also spreading out your study helps ... Skip a day or so in between ... and then make yourself call up the answers from scratch again.

The key thing is to make your bring dig for the answer ... even if you can't. It's the process of making your brain call up information without cues that somehow strengthens memory and learning.

The technical term is called "the testing effect" and you can find a ton of articles online.

Those notes you're talking about--you want to rewrite them from scratch .. with no notes ... Literally, you close all books, put away all notes and write out what you know. You'll call up more than you think ... and again you will get a sense of what you need to focus on for the tests. BTW: flashcards are a form of self-testing.

Tone
Old 12-30-17, 07:46 PM

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-17, 02:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

When I was in college and graduate school, i used to make a lot of flashcards for tests or foreign language vocabulary or pretty much anything I wanted to memorize. Then I would carry them around and review them whenever I had a moment. I would test myself on each card to make sure I knew the material. The idea was to get the information out of my faulty working memory and into my long-term memory. It usually worked well, I got good grades for most of my classes.

Of course, these days (10 yrs after I graduated) you would probably use a flashcard app on your phone rather than actual cards. There are several good ones out there. Look for one that will schedule reviews for you automatically and send you notifications when reviews are due. Saves you having to remember to review.

For a mind that wanders during study, finding the best study place is important- one that is quiet and not distracting. I used to hang out in the quietest corners of the college library.

Also it helps to take frequent, short breaks. Don’t try to study for an hour and then take a fifteen minute break. Study for like ten minutes or so and then take a two minute break. Something that is not too stimulating so you don’t get hyperfocused and stretch the break out to half an hour! Maybe take a quick walk around the library. Or play one round of a very short game on your phone or tablet... whatever works for you.
Old 01-01-18, 05:41 PM

I never gave a thought of flash cards on phone. I need quiet to study . I even deleted all the fun apps off my phone.
Thank you