ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 01-02-18, 01:00 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: ADHD-Inattentive, hyperfocus and hypofocus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
do all people who have adhd-inattentive hyperfocus excessively?

M
Not all, in fact, probably most do *not*. That would probably be more indicative of something like OCD. ADHD people might seem to hyperfocus on things that are stimulating (such as video games), but that is because they need something to boost dopamine.

Quote:

do all people who have adhd-inattentive hypofocus excessively?
M
By the classic definition, yes, they should have those symptoms to qualify for diagnosis.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (01-03-18), mildadhd (01-02-18)
Old 01-02-18, 02:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,141 Times in 857 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Not all, in fact, probably most do *not*. That would probably be more indicative of something like OCD. ADHD people might seem to hyperfocus on things that are stimulating (such as video games), but that is because they need something to boost dopamine...

Interesting, thanks.

Do people hyperfocus on things they enjoy?

Do people hypofocus on things they enjoy?

Does hyperfocusing require dopamine?

Does hypofocusing require dopamine?

M
Old 01-02-18, 02:59 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Interesting, thanks.

M
People with ADHD tend to focus on activities that are stimulating *because* these activities help them increase their levels of dopamine. People with ADHD have deficient baseline levels of dopamine, so they are constantly looking for ways to increase dopamine. At least, this is according to the standard biological model of ADHD.

That is why someone with ADHD might not be able to do homework or chores (boring!), but seems to never have issues with video games (stimulating!).

IMHO, you're focusing (excuse the pun!) too much on the semantics of "hyper" vs "hypo" focusing, and you're missing the bigger picture. Plus, the DSM does not use these terms in its clinical description of ADHD, so I don't know whether there's even an authoritative definition for these terms in the context of ADHD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-02-18), mildadhd (01-03-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-18, 09:02 AM

Thanked 14,544 Times in 6,492 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Little Missy, Lunacie, aeon

Do you think it is interesting that people who have ADHD-Inattentive, hyperfocus excessively?

Do you think it is interesting that people who have ADHD-Inattentive, hypofocus excessively?
No, not really.

Thanks,
Ian
Old 01-02-18, 09:28 AM

Thanked 21,170 Times in 11,327 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do not think, I think in black and white.

M
what does that mean and how does that help you?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-02-18)
Old 01-02-18, 09:29 AM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Little Missy, Lunacie, aeon

Do you think it is interesting that people who have ADHD-Inattentive, hyperfocus excessively?

Do you think it is interesting that people who have ADHD-Inattentive, hypofocus excessively?

M
No, why?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-02-18)
Old 01-02-18, 01:22 PM

Thanked 25,453 Times in 11,837 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Interesting, thanks.

M
Hyperfocus is intense focus or concentration on something interesting, which
can include daydreaming about that interest.

Hypofocus is a lack of focus or inability to concentrate, therefore it doesn't
have anything to do with being interested in or enjoying something.

Apparently both hyper- and hypo-focus are thought to be caused by low levels
of dopamine.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (01-02-18)
Old 01-02-18, 02:54 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,467 Times in 6,939 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Hyperfocus is intense focus or concentration on something interesting, which
can include daydreaming about that interest.

Hypofocus is a lack of focus or inability to concentrate, therefore it doesn't
have anything to do with being interested in or enjoying something.

Apparently both hyper- and hypo-focus are thought to be caused by low levels
of dopamine.
I must be low in dopamine because I'm usually in one state or the other most times.
Old 01-02-18, 02:58 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,452 Times in 14,480 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of hypofocus before and hyperfocus tends to be sort of accepted lingo but without the "officials" deeming it important enough to be included in the symptoms?(am I right)? I used to think there was no such thing as hyperfocus until I learned about it here and understand myself better. Its something that is often mentioned when discussing adhd but I dont think its official yet at least with the DSM but maybe I am wrong. I find that constantly discussing these things and how they apply to 1 kind of adhd(leaving out H or combined) is a bit alienating. I know I always feel like I am not allowed to relate because I am not purely 1 or the other.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-03-18, 11:15 AM

Han123 has a spectacular aura aboutHan123 has a spectacular aura about

It's interesting that some of you say that hyperfocus is not an official term. When I got diagnosed it was mentioned and explained to me several times. Some cultural differences maybe...

Sorry for the off topic post
The Following User Says Thank You to Han123 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (01-03-18)
Old 01-03-18, 11:51 AM

Thanked 14,544 Times in 6,492 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Hyperfocus might be more appropriate for those on the autistic spectrum, whereas those with ADHD more often engage in perseveration.

That said, those terms are used loosely, overlap in usage/meaning, and are not part of the diagnostic criteria, or associated materials, found in the DSM-V.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-03-18)
Old 01-03-18, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
People with ADHD tend to focus on activities that are stimulating *because* these activities help them increase their levels of dopamine. People with ADHD have deficient baseline levels of dopamine, so they are constantly looking for ways to increase dopamine. At least, this is according to the standard biological model of ADHD.

That is why someone with ADHD might not be able to do homework or chores (boring!), but seems to never have issues with video games (stimulating!).

IMHO, you're focusing (excuse the pun!) too much on the semantics of "hyper" vs "hypo" focusing, and you're missing the bigger picture. Plus, the DSM does not use these terms in its clinical description of ADHD, so I don't know whether there's even an authoritative definition for these terms in the context of ADHD.
Thanks.

Good idea.

Let’s start with the bigger picture.

ADHD-Hypoactive, ADHD-Combined, ADHD-Hyperactive/Impulsive.

Thoughts?

Mi
Old 01-03-18, 04:02 PM

I wonder if ADHD-Hypoactive has a sluggish form of impulsiveness?

ADHD-Hypoactive/Impulsive?

Thoughts?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 01-03-18 at 04:20 PM..
Old 01-03-18, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I wonder if ADHD-Hypoactive has a sluggish form of impulsiveness?

ADHD-Hypoactive/Impulsive?

Thoughts?

M
Tell us your thoughts!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-03-18), Lunacie (01-03-18)
Old 01-03-18, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Tell us your thoughts!
Instead of us (ADHD-Hyperactive/Implusive) constantly interrupting the people.

The people are constantly waiting for a reply from us (ADHD-Hypoactive/Umpulsive).

Ummmmpulsive

M