ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 01-03-18, 09:43 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road
Job/Career Predicament

As we enter another new year, I once again find myself unemployed and rather aimless in my life. Whilst I am no longer depressed and feel somewhat upbeat on Concerta (I still believe my dose is too low though), it's remarkably difficult for me to identify what I want to do with my life.

Despite my relatively old age (I turn 28 in May), I have never held down a job for longer than 6 months and if voluntary work is disregarded I have only worked for about a year in total since leaving school with poor grades in the summer of 2008.

Prior to my ADHD diagnosis, I was fortunate to be employed by the NHS as an Apprentice Business Administrator in the Winter of 2016. However, I resigned in March after three months of feeling utterly useless in the role. My boss was extremely kind and supportive of my ASD yet I couldn't continue to feel like a complete liability for another 9 months.

I am now applying for similar apprenticeship positions but I do suspect that my age and appalling work history are setting me back. It's perhaps for the best as I would associate strong organisational skills, excellent time management abilities and attentiveness to detail with good administrators....none of which I possess.

At the age of 27, my prospects look rather bleak as I do not have a degree and my interpersonal skills suck. Thus, virtually any customer service role would prove to be troublesome.

I would be interested to learn what other ADHDers do for a living and the age at which you learnt your core interests, biggest strengths and greatest weaknesses.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barbrady1 For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (01-12-18), stef (01-03-18)
Old 01-03-18, 03:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,037 Times in 2,500 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job/Career Predicament

I've had a number of roles in very varied sectors, but the thing that stands out is that I've crashed and burned in office type environments. I seem to do well in active type roles where there's a small team, a flat hierarchy and short, project focused work where everyone works hard toward a defined goal after which there's time to chill.

Remember that conventional "work" in a long term role isn't the only way to work... there's a whole world of project type work where practical skill outweighs qualifications and "customer facing" type skills.

I've found I work best with a "buddy" who helps keep me grounded and handles the customer if there is a need to. This type of scenario is common in trade work where people often work in two's or three's.

In short..... conventional work doesn't work for me. Which is why, like you I have a CV that makes an HR droid scream with terror.

PS.... you're not old.... I'm into my 50's and still don't have more than 12 months continuous work in any one role.... but I have many seasonal or project roles where I've gone back to the same team several times over a couple of years.

Most important thing is to find the right tribe..... office workers ain't mine!
The Following User Says Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
stef (01-03-18)
Old 01-03-18, 06:54 PM

Thanked 4,011 Times in 2,065 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I've been a civil engineer my entire career for almost 20 years now. That said, I've realized now that if I continued working as a civil engineer, I would probably die early as the extreme stress I feel from my extreme procrastination would put me into an early grave.

I didn't really understand how severe my weaknesses were until my mid 30s. Reason being that I still finished things on time and got decent results (though it killed me to do so). Also cause I often could mitigate my weakness in some way like delegate work to others get someone else's notes, etc.

My strengths, I think I've known some of them since really early. But some, I really didn't see until my diagnosis in my late 30s. Diagnosis really made me see myself better I think, both strength and weaknesses.

What is it you like to do? Van dwelling is become more popular with young people in the US these days. There's these websites like coolworks where they can get jobs working at national parks, ski resorts, basically really fun vacation destinations. Most people only do the jobs for a few months at a time and then they move on to another vacation destination they want to see. Food is often free, rooms/rv parks are heavily subsidized. Salary isn't high but some of them wrote in a forum that they can save more than their friends cause their expenses are mostly covered and thry live a very cheap life. There is no/little potential for job growth this way.

I'll have to say, living this way, I don't know how you would save for retirement and I don't know how long you'd want to keep living that life. But it sure looks like a lot of fun. Plus, I'm not sure how generous the UK is when it comes to retirement so unsure how much you need to save for retirement.

Just an idea. I personally wouldn't have gone that route myself as there are definite cons to it but perhaps it might appeal to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-03-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-18, 08:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your replies. I'm still none the wiser but I guess trying new things should help somewhat.
Old 01-16-18, 04:32 AM

jmtyle is on a distinguished road

I have always thrived in a fast paced environment with a lot of multi-tasking i.e. kitchens, hospitals, but I always end up getting ****** off at most management or any sense of unfair treatment and eventually put myself into hot water/unemployment due to impulsive behavior and rude and sarcastic remarks. My current job as a sterile processing tech is looking bleak because I can't help but challenge our department managers decision to unfairly promote a racist butt kisser with complete disregard to hospital policy of open application. I know my fight is useless since H.R. is never on the employees side but would feel amiss if I didn't speak up. Honestly though I would find something to complain about or get extremely bored and make trouble for myself just keep the mind stimulated.
Old 01-16-18, 05:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtyle View Post
I have always thrived in a fast paced environment with a lot of multi-tasking i.e. kitchens, hospitals, but I always end up getting ****** off at most management or any sense of unfair treatment and eventually put myself into hot water/unemployment due to impulsive behavior and rude and sarcastic remarks. My current job as a sterile processing tech is looking bleak because I can't help but challenge our department managers decision to unfairly promote a racist butt kisser with complete disregard to hospital policy of open application. I know my fight is useless since H.R. is never on the employees side but would feel amiss if I didn't speak up. Honestly though I would find something to complain about or get extremely bored and make trouble for myself just keep the mind stimulated.
True racism is an HR issue and I *think* a legal issue and I would at least bring that part up and leave the butt kissing part out.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-16-18, 09:46 PM

Thanked 4,011 Times in 2,065 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
True racism is an HR issue and I *think* a legal issue and I would at least bring that part up and leave the butt kissing part out.
I feel this way too and yet I know it can also turn against you depending on how messed up your company is. I'd think hard about whether they wouldn't retaliate against you before you say anything even I'd it should be the right thing to do.
Old 01-19-18, 04:31 PM

jmtyle is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response, but most of the time I try to tell coworkers that what they are talking about is inappropriate or offensive, I am ignored and shunned. Our management staff has said they want to keep out of issues and that we should be policing ourselves. All this in a non for profit hospital. Half the time they don't understand their offensiveness and argue their right to free speech or just deny it. And of course H.R. is not on the workers side, so being an impulsive SJW only gets you in the trouble. But it beats being complacent.
Old 01-20-18, 05:07 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtyle View Post
Thanks for the response, but most of the time I try to tell coworkers that what they are talking about is inappropriate or offensive, I am ignored and shunned. Our management staff has said they want to keep out of issues and that we should be policing ourselves. All this in a non for profit hospital. Half the time they don't understand their offensiveness and argue their right to free speech or just deny it. And of course H.R. is not on the workers side, so being an impulsive SJW only gets you in the trouble. But it beats being complacent.
Well if you lose your job, this has to be brought up.

I carried a watermelon?