ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 01-03-18, 05:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: ADHD-Inattentive, hyperfocus and hypofocus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han123 View Post
It's interesting that some of you say that hyperfocus is not an official term. When I got diagnosed it was mentioned and explained to me several times. Some cultural differences maybe...
Thanks

Yes, cultural differences maybe...

If the stars align, I also hope to learn the biological terminology involved, strengthening my overall understanding.

M
Old 01-03-18, 10:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

CharlesH is a jewel in the roughCharlesH is a jewel in the roughCharlesH is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Thanks.

Good idea.

Let’s start with the bigger picture.

ADHD-Hypoactive, ADHD-Combined, ADHD-Hyperactive/Impulsive.

Thoughts?

Mi
I'm confused. What is "hypoactive"? That term seems to have come out of nowhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (01-03-18)
Old 01-03-18, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
hyperactivity

1. abnormally increased muscular activity or function.
2. former name for, and now a principal sign of, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. adj. adj hyperac´tive.
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic.../hyperactivity

Quote:
Quote:
hypoactivity

1. abnormally diminished activity, as of peristalsis.
2. abnormally decreased motor and cognitive activity, with slowing of thought, speech, and movement.
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...m/hypoactivity

Attention Deficit Hypoactivity Disorder-Primarily Inattentive (ADHD-I) (aka; ADD, hypokinetic)

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder-Primarily Hyperactive/Impulsive (ADHD-H/I) (aka; ADHD, hyperkinetic)

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 01-03-18 at 11:34 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-18, 11:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

CharlesH is a jewel in the roughCharlesH is a jewel in the roughCharlesH is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Attention Deficit Hypoactivity Disorder-Primarily Inattentive (ADHD-I) (aka; ADD, hypokinetic)

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder-Primarily Hyperactive/Impulsive (ADHD-H/I) (aka; ADHD, hyperkinetic)

M
Your original post was about "hypofocus," not "hypoactivity." Why the switch in terminology?

Also, "ADHD - Primarily Inattentive" simply means that the individual did not meet the diagnostic criteria for hyperactivity. It does NOT mean that they are hypoactive. To give an analogy, just because someone is not hypertensive, does not necessarily mean that they are hypotensive. The individual might simply have normal blood pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-04-18)
Old 01-04-18, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Your original post was about "hypofocus," not "hypoactivity." Why the switch in terminology?

Also, "ADHD - Primarily Inattentive" simply means that the individual did not meet the diagnostic criteria for hyperactivity. It does NOT mean that they are hypoactive. To give an analogy, just because someone is not hypertensive, does not necessarily mean that they are hypotensive. The individual might simply have normal blood pressure.
In your last post yesterday, I thought you may be right when you wrote you thought I was getting caught up in the semantics and recommended I look at the big picture, first.

I do not think a person who has ADHD-Inattentive, must have ADHD-Hyperactive/Impulsive.

I do think a person who has enough symptoms of both ADHD-I and ADHD-H/I would have ADHD-Combined.

(In regards to your analogy, I do not think a person who does not have hypertension, means the person has hypotension) (unless the person has symptoms of both).

Also considering the FEAR/Freeze or Flight response system.

See post #4, http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...55&postcount=4

AD(Hypoactive)D leans toward the Freeze response.

AD(Hyperactive)D leans toward the Flight response.

(Two ways of responding, shaping early individual brain development in either two different ways, or combination of both ways)

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 01-04-18 at 01:14 AM..
Old 01-04-18, 03:27 AM

Anything not quoted is my interpretation.

I am posting this quote by Dr. Mate, to help focus on factors involved and other factors missing up to this point in the thread discussion.

Quote:
The distractibility in ADD is not consistent.

Many parents and teachers are misled: to some activities a child may be able to devote, if anything, compulsive, hyperconcentrated attention.

But hyperfocusing that excludes awareness of the environment also denotes poor attention regulation.

Also, hyperfocusing often involves what may be described as passive attention, as in watching television or playing video games.

Passive attention permits the mind to cruise on automatic without requiring the brain to expend effortful energy.

Active attention, the mind fully engaged and the brain performing work, is mustered only in special circumstances of high motivation.

Active attention is the capacity the ADD brain lacks whenever organized work must be done, or when attention needs to be directed toward something of low interest.
-Gabor Mate, M.D., “Scattered”, p 14.

M
Fuzzy12 (01-04-18)