ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 01-17-18, 01:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,171 Times in 883 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Do you own your children? Do your child owe you?

Do you own your children?

Do your children owe you?

mildadhd
Old 01-17-18, 04:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,640 Times in 14,603 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you own your children? Do your child owe you?

Since my kids are not property I do not own them.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Caco3girl (01-18-18), mildadhd (01-17-18), stef (01-18-18)
Old 01-18-18, 04:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to behold

Interesting question.

Do I own my children, well as Sarah said they aren't property. HOWEVER, if they skip school for 10+ days I'm the one that get charged with a crime. If they drive into a house, I'm the one that gets sued. If they act out in public I'm looked at as a bad parent who didn't teach them better.

So, do I own them....if my dog bites someone I'm libel, and if my kid bites someone same thing, so I'm going with the theory that I'm renting them until they are 18 :- )

Does my child owe me? They owe me an explanation if I ask for one, they are accountable to me. However, they don't owe me monetarily, or figuratively for the privilege of raising them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-18-18), sarahsweets (01-19-18), stef (01-18-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-18, 04:53 PM

Thanked 29,697 Times in 13,705 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

No we don't our children. We have just got the privilege of taking care of them. Our children don't owe us. They didn't ask to be born

Last edited by Fuzzy12; 01-18-18 at 05:23 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
stef (01-18-18)
Old 01-18-18, 05:15 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,886 Times in 13,057 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Parents have legal obligations of course, but love is unconditional.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-18-18)
Old 01-18-18, 06:35 PM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t have any, and neither does my sister. The family line dies with us. I asked her years ago what informed her decision and it was the same reason as mine. The chain is broken with us.

So I owe nothing, and am owed nothing.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
stef (01-18-18)
Old 01-19-18, 01:41 AM
Contributor

WheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to behold

No.
No.

In the words of many sages: We have children because we desire to leave something better for humankind.

It was OUR decision to have children. Not the child's decision.

If anybody owes anybody anything, it is the parents who owe the children. The parents, after all made all the decisions to bring the children into this excessively complicated ****** up world. And...in all 'developed' countries, it was the parents' generation that lumped bad decision upon bad decision politically, leaving the children there to clean it up.

Which is why America's millennials pretty much are giving up hope for much of a future.

Exactly what do those children owe their forebears?
Old 04-27-18, 01:54 AM

natnatroswell22 is on a distinguished road

We dont own them, it's that just we have the responsibility and obligation to take care of them.
Old 05-01-18, 12:49 AM

ryanolivas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresMyMind View Post
No.
No.

In the words of many sages: We have children because we desire to leave something better for humankind.

It was OUR decision to have children. Not the child's decision.

If anybody owes anybody anything, it is the parents who owe the children. The parents, after all made all the decisions to bring the children into this excessively complicated ****** up world. And...in all 'developed' countries, it was the parents' generation that lumped bad decision upon bad decision politically, leaving the children there to clean it up.

Which is why America's millennials pretty much are giving up hope for much of a future.

Exactly what do those children owe their forebears?
I super agree with your opinion
Old 05-15-18, 02:19 AM

ryanolivas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Since my kids are not property I do not own them.
And yes, THIS.
Old 05-15-18, 02:46 AM
Contributor

WheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to behold

No. No.
Old 05-15-18, 06:29 AM

Thanked 4,848 Times in 2,099 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

You raise your kids so they can spend their lives with someone else. They don't owe you anything.

I am very happy that my kids have found life partners.
Lunacie (05-15-18)
Old 05-15-18, 07:36 AM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

My father actually called me his property.

My son isn't property. I don't own him. He is a slightly smaller person with a mind and dreams and goals and ideas. He has his own life. Well not smaller, he's already taller than I am already.

I wouldn't trade my son for the world. Right now it's my job to make sure he becomes a successful adult. After I've done that its my job to nag him about his unworthy partners and not calling enough.