ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 01-22-18, 12:46 PM

Noreaster is on a distinguished road
Work ADD and planning.

So I will try to keep this short and add info as I go along.
I have ADHD first diagnosed when I was 8 or 9. I'm now in my late 30's My ADHD is primarily inattention. From the time I was 17 until my early 30's I was off meds. I'm currently on Concerta 36mg. I have also been diag'd with depression. And I should be taking prozac but I don't because it changes me from depressed to not caring what happens (just want to sit and do nothing all day).
I work in sales (b2b) and am having alot of trouble with my job. I can't remember anything. I procrastinate and in generally waste alot of time on stupid parts of my job while ignoring real issues. The concerta sometimes helps but in general I still have big issues. My dose was upped about 6 months ago because the effectiveness seemed less. It worked well for about a month then not so much.
I'm starting to think I need to work on behavior modification or better skills in order to get over my issues not just medication.
The big issue is the last 9 years or so I have worked in an office. This is bad for for me. I started off in the trades and loved it but slowly transitioned to office work for better pay and benefits (I'm the primary earner for a family of 5) I would prefer to go back to trades but I barely make ends meet now so it's kind of out of the question. I have noticed also since my ADHD has become a bigger issue my salary has been stock in a standstill. My employers still like me but I think I get knocked back from the issues I cause by missing important emails or forgetting to call an important customer back.
My big issue seems to be time management. I have read several books on the subject but have yet to find something that works for me. When I worked with my hands it was pretty simple and satisfying to stay on task and Finnish a job. Now the end points are less clear and the work much less satisfying.

So I guess my question is should I be looking at adjusting meds again or should I be looking at behavior therapy. Any ides where to start.
Old 01-22-18, 06:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 20,424 Times in 10,880 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Work ADD and planning.

Unless you have plenty of time for therapizing, I'd go for the meds route.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 01-23-18, 02:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold

I have a funny thing about planning. I can plan, in my job i have made year-long production schedules for the projects that we run in our department.

I have the skills to plan, there is only one condition. It works as long i am not part of the plan. Cause from the moment i start planning my own time, anxiety comes up.

Planning myself more then a few hours ahead creates tremendous pressure. As i am not sure how my moods and attention will evolve over time, it could well be that i fail at a task that i would plan tomorrow morning, would take more time, some external event could come between it too, or it could also be that i find that hyperdrive and get it done in an excellent manner and in half the time i planned. Trouble is, i just don't know what it will be.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-18, 11:24 AM

Noreaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutter View Post
I have a funny thing about planning. I can plan, in my job i have made year-long production schedules for the projects that we run in our department.

I have the skills to plan, there is only one condition. It works as long i am not part of the plan. Cause from the moment i start planning my own time, anxiety comes up.

Planning myself more then a few hours ahead creates tremendous pressure. As i am not sure how my moods and attention will evolve over time, it could well be that i fail at a task that i would plan tomorrow morning, would take more time, some external event could come between it too, or it could also be that i find that hyperdrive and get it done in an excellent manner and in half the time i planned. Trouble is, i just don't know what it will be.
Yeah I have similar issues. My wife is big into planning. I can do it but getting myself involved stresses me out. Like you I never know how the day will go. Some times everything done and I feel awesome other days I just get mired in everything.

I make lists but conveniently ignore them etc. I can plan out a whole project as work but usually don't include my time in the plan.

I'm changing DR's as mine is retiring so I will bring up changing meds as well.

I also have another thing where sometimes I don't do something because I know if I start it I will have issues doing something the normal way and I will go overboard on something and take too much time so I just don't do it. I think this is one of those things my family does not understand they way things click in my mind makes things go a bit sideways. Take Saturday my wife asked me to clean up the wires to the wall mounted TV in my son's room. Simple zip ties some trim done. Nope I decided I didn't like all the wires coming down to the cable box etc on his dresser a few feet away. So I built a shelf onto the mounting bracket for the tv and Mounted everything up there so only the power and cable had to be run along the wall. This is kind of the way work if I fix something I have to fix everything. If I can't It frustrates and depresses me. Which is why I avoid things I know will bring me down a rabbit hole.

For example I need to redo our company price list. This involves databases and spreadsheets that have basically never matched in the past. So instead of running a few formulas to update everything I know what I really want to do is rebuild everything so it matches and makes sense. But I know that will eat up a week of my time so I have been avoiding it. I will likely due a quick fix job on it right before the deadline.
The Following User Says Thank You to Noreaster For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (01-23-18)
Old 01-23-18, 02:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
I also have another thing where sometimes I don't do something because I know if I start it I will have issues doing something the normal way and I will go overboard on something and take too much time so I just don't do it.
oh yes. There is no "middle" way when i do stuff either. I can either take a genius shortcut that avoids most of the work to be done in the first place, or i set myself an overbearing standard and deliver something that overshoots the target completely.

In my work this often pays off, the shortcuts are rarely noticed as i am able to present them with an air of "efficiency", and the overachieving moments are ofcourse greatly appreciated. Only downside is that sometimes they expect and need the overachievement, and i come up with a shortcut instead. Or i have a bad week and then nothing really advances.

likewise, family often doesn't understand it why i just can't do the predicteable thing. i tried to explain that the normal solution is often boring, my variations atleast become entertaining to me.