ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 01-20-18, 09:17 PM

Jason26 is on a distinguished road
ADHD and Hyperthyroidism

I was diagnosed with ADHD in elementary school but stopped treatment after only one year because of my father's disapproval of the medication. Fast forward to my senior year of high school, I was then diagnosed with Graves Disease/Hyperthyroidism. The symptoms I experienced from the Hyperthyroidism were as follows: irregular heartbeat, tremors and fatigue among a few more. I have since been relieved of those symptoms as my thyroid has been removed and I am now taking synthroid everyday. The symptoms that I am left with are as follows: inability to focus, inability to finish tasks at hand, impulsiveness, forgetfulness, restlessness (hyperactivity) and anxiety(due to so many unfinished tasks). I was thinking at the time that these symptoms must be from the hyperthyroidism but I have been on well regulated thyroid medication since 2011. Obviously, that's not what is causing these symptoms.

I was told early on that I would grow out of ADHD, which I now feel like is a massive lie. I have been experiencing the ADHD symptoms all of my life but since it was left untreated, it grew to present itself as anxiety in high school as well into adulthood. The anxiety has gotten worse over the last two years and I have only recently began to study why it is that I have this anxiety. I feel like that if I were able to decide what I am focused on instead of taking on the many thoughts that I have going on at any given moment, I would be able to accomplish the task at hand, therefore I wouldn't have so much anxiety about not finishing the task or not doing as well as someone else. These symptoms drastically effect my everyday life as well as the people around me.

I have an appointment with my family physician coming up soon and my biggest fear is sounding like a lunatic while trying to explain this to him. If anyone has any advice or if anyone knows if these two conditions can be treated together, please let me know!
Old 01-20-18, 10:18 PM

Pinkyswear is on a distinguished road
Re: ADHD and Hyperthyroidism

You are not alone and you will not sound like a lunatic! I also have thyroid issues and ADD. I have autoimmune Hashimoto's that was diagnosed in 2000 and it started as hyperthyroid and then as the years went by I became hypothyroid and began medication for that in 2009. I am 42 yrs old and finally started taking meds for the ADD about 5 months ago. So far I have tried Adderall and Vyvanse but next week at my next appt I will be asking to try something different, possibly Straterra because of extra anxiety and insomnia from the stimulants. I am here if you have further questions!
Old 01-20-18, 11:07 PM

Thanks for responding! I know that the thyroid can wreak havoc on your body and I hate to hear that you had to experience that, it flat out SUCKS! My thyroid usually keeps me pretty tired so I don't think the stimulants will effect me too much in a negative way but I'm open to any treatment options at this point. Please let me know how the Straterra works for you! Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-18, 10:07 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,667 Times in 14,621 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it was a big fat lie you were told about growing out of adhd and I am sorry you were told that. You do not grow out of it and in many cases it gets worse. Sort of like how a virus mutates, it gets better in some ways, and worse in others. Thyroid issues aside, your adhd should have been treated all this time but you have a chance now to sort of start anew. You probably developed coping skills both healthy and helpful and unhealthy and unhelpful. So if you begin medication you are going to have to try and give yourself some neutral goals and not expect everything to be perfect all at once.
Im sorry you went through what you have gone through but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-21-18, 12:51 PM

You're absolutely right! I'm fresh out of coping skills because the ones I developed no longer seem to work. I'm so incredibly happy to have found this forum and to realize that there are people out there who think and feel the same way I do. Thanks for the positive message Sarah!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason26 For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (01-22-18)
Old 01-21-18, 05:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,566 Times in 1,203 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Might sound like a lunatic?

You don't need to worry about that. Heck my primary care doctor let slip one day that she took Concerta, an ADHD medication.

There's nothing "lunatic" about identifying a difficulty with concentrating and explaining that since you had the thyroid problem, you assumed the lack of focus had to do with thyroid .... Whadda mean dude? That's really sharp, starting the sorting process ... since we all have multiple health conditions.

Just share specifically and go from there ... mention the lack of focus and the anxiety ... and your mind not feeling settled. Doctors love when patients open up and share their struggles and yes, their mind/brain struggles ... they hear, "oh, here's a person who really wants to get their life together." Docs love that.

Go for it! ...

Tone
Old 01-21-18, 06:42 PM

I guess the fear of "sounding like a lunatic" comes with knowing that my primary dr and I usually have short, to the point conversations at each visit. So I want him to clearly understand the severity of what has been going on without it taking me all day to explain. It's hard for me to explain it because I think the majority of people have these symptoms to a degree. Everybody forgets sometimes, everybody sometimes lacks focus in something that doesn't interest them, but in the ADD brain those things are AMPLIFIED SO MUCH!!!

The best way I can describe it is to think of the brain as a vehicle. A "normal" brain would carry you at a comfortable speed, allowing you the time to take in the scenery and make executive/rational decisions, preparations, etc. An ADD brain "my brain" on the other hand, is going so fast that if you do manage to catch a glimpse of the scenery, you don't even have time to process/remember it because everything else is coming at you at 100mph.

Would you describe it the same way?
Old 01-22-18, 07:03 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason26 View Post
I guess the fear of "sounding like a lunatic" comes with knowing that my primary dr and I usually have short, to the point conversations at each visit. So I want him to clearly understand the severity of what has been going on without it taking me all day to explain.
I had the same kind of concern when I went to my own primary care doctor five years ago to get evaluated for ADHD.

Most doctors nowadays are encouraged by the HMOs they work in to keep their appointments short which doesn't allow enough time to deal with something more complicated. And to me at least, it felt kind of embarrassing and humiliating to describe my ADHD symptoms to my doctor. This is probably mostly due to the family I grew up in where a lot of stigma was attached to any kind of mental health problem.

But my doctor handled it in a very matter of fact way. He didn't even have much to say but also didn't seem in any way judgmental. He just referred me to a clinical psychologist for evaluation and that was it. It was much more painless than what I had envisioned.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
Old 01-24-18, 09:45 AM

Pinkyswear is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason26 View Post
Thanks for responding! I know that the thyroid can wreak havoc on your body and I hate to hear that you had to experience that, it flat out SUCKS! My thyroid usually keeps me pretty tired so I don't think the stimulants will effect me too much in a negative way but I'm open to any treatment options at this point. Please let me know how the Straterra works for you! Thanks again!
So I ended up not trying the Straterra... I had 2 issues going on. I had figured out that part of my issue with Anxiety was that I was over medicating with my thyroid meds. I take Nature-Throid for that. Probably because I had lost some weight since starting the stimulants. Then the second part was that the Vyvanse i was taking was making it hard to sleep because it just lasted wayyy to long in my body. I would take it at like 6 am and still be wired at 11pm or later. (Needed more meds to shut my mind off)

I cut back on the Nature-Throid and went back to Adderall IR dosed a couple times a day and we will see what happens. My Dr also prescribed Trazadone to help me get to sleep. I will go get a blood test in a couple weeks to check the thyroid to make sure I’m on the right dose now.