ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-18, 01:28 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,217 Times in 8,203 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Note cards

I'm looking for a way to organize and store my note cards so that I can refer back to them quickly. I'm looking for ideas and maybe ways of classifying them, too.

I use note cards when I'm reading, when I hear something profound, or a quote from a great speech. I've found this tactic to be very helpful, with the memory recall issues associated with ADD. They're also easy to carry around.
namazu (01-24-18), stef (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 05:34 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 19,177 Times in 9,549 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Note cards

A few questions:

1) Do you use index cards, or are you taking notes on random scraps of paper? (Are they all the same size/east to stack?)

2) Do you prefer having a physical card, or would you be willing/interested in looking at electronic options (either native electronic options, or scanning/photographing the cards)?

3) When you use the cards for reading, is it similar to how you use them in other contexts -- to collect ideas and turns of phrase that you might want to remember and pull out for a speech or comment? Or do you take notes in some other way/for other reasons?

4) What are the difficulties you're having with the current "system" -- are you losing cards, or just can't find the ones you need, or...?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (01-24-18), stef (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 03:38 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,512 Times in 12,926 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

If they are index cards i am thinking: some kind of a flat, soft case ( even if thats not its intended use- look at a cosmetics case even, they have stuff thats not girly
Get some post it dividers or tabs
Also colored index cards?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (01-25-18), namazu (01-25-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-18, 12:38 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,217 Times in 8,203 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
1) Do you use index cards, or are you taking notes on random scraps of paper? (Are they all the same size/east to stack?)
I use index cards. They are all the same size, and I think that size is 3 x 5.
Quote:
2) Do you prefer having a physical card, or would you be willing/interested in looking at electronic options (either native electronic options, or scanning/photographing the cards)?
I struggle with this a lot. I have a few inspirational quotes on cards that I've taken a picture of and kept on my iPad. The rest of my cards are just on paper with either a paper clip or rubber band holding them together.
Quote:
3) When you use the cards for reading, is it similar to how you use them in other contexts -- to collect ideas and turns of phrase that you might want to remember and pull out for a speech or comment? Or do you take notes in some other way/for other reasons?
I'm not sure. Let me think on this and get back to you.
Quote:
4) What are the difficulties you're having with the current "system" -- are you losing cards, or just can't find the ones you need, or...?
Having a proper place for them where they are secure and put away. Right now, I have several piles or groups peppered throughout the house, and this drives me nuts. I'd love to have one place for everything, but I don't know what that place looks like. I want to be able to access it in a quick way. I'm thinking of a box for index cards, but that's way too small.
namazu (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 03:52 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 28,709 Times in 13,279 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have just four or five categories you could use one of those hanging wall thingies. I've got no idea what they are called. They've got 4 or 5 pouches to out things like newspapers into them and they hang from the wall so would be very accessible.

Otherwise like Stef said something like a toiletries or cosmetic bag. They often have quite a few compartments.

You get box folders for loose paper.

I guess a stationary shop would have some kind of organiser or organising folder that you could use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 08:11 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 20,372 Times in 10,847 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Index cards come spiral bound.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969

Last edited by Little Missy; 01-25-18 at 08:29 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-25-18), anonymouslyadd (01-25-18), namazu (01-25-18), stef (01-26-18)
Old 01-26-18, 01:30 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,215 Times in 13,782 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I use my handy old school metal index card filing box

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (01-27-18), Little Missy (01-26-18), stef (01-26-18)