ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 01-23-18, 05:50 PM

Taraleigh is on a distinguished road
Concerta to Focalin

My 8 year old daughter was diagnosed with ADD and anxiety. Her presenting symptoms are behavioral such as irritation, lack of self control, moodiness and lots of whining and crying in addition to the lack of focus. The concerta once titrated to 32mg worked beautifully. I saw a dramatic difference in her self control and management in emotions. The thing was she couldn’t eat and always complained of a stomach ache. We went back to psychiatrist and are now on 15mf of focalin after a brief break. She takes in the morning once. The teacher says school is much better but the behaviors and outburst and self control at home have been terrible. I’m not sure what to do. Thoughts? Help! She is very difficult to manage. Also note she is in counseling as well.

Thanks
Tara
Old 01-23-18, 06:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Concerta to Focalin

If she is taking the immediate-release formulation of Focalin/dextromethylphenidate, a dose given in the morning is not going to last long enough to provide coverage and symptom control after school.

Look into Focalin XR, if you can, as this would provide the extended-release benefit that Concerta did.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 01-26-18, 04:25 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,408 Times in 15,013 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Concerta to Focalin

In my experience of being on stimulants for over 13 years and having three kids be on meds and off meds (ages 22,17,14) I have found that its easy to tell when anything from the methylphenidate class of drugs wasnt going to be good. (concerta, focalin, focalin xr, metadate, ritalin, ritalin la, concerta etc). Within a week I knew the if the side effects or lack of positive effects were going to be worth it. Our family always seems to have done well on amphetamines so its something to think about.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links