ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-18, 09:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,215 Times in 13,782 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Another article spectulating about mental illness and mass shootings/violence.

Granted it is Fox news, but I've read it elsewhere. Even though it involves the media/articles I wanted to get more in depth about Bipolar (and mental illness), how poorly its misunderstood and how quickly it disparages those that have it, so I put it here.

This involves the Vegas shooting. I've said this before and I am sure it could be searched up in this section somewhere- once something outrageous happens with a celeberty, a horrible violent tragedy or out of control behavior- the bipolar label has increasingly become the go-to for explaining behavior. Suddenly (I would say the last few years) every public meltdown is "bipolar" or "psychotic" every violent tragedy with no obvious motive is "suspected of having bipolar" or other tics/compulsions.( this one says germaphobe). A few years back and for many, many years prior it was people attributing all manic episodes and all psychotic episodes to sczitzophrenia.(sp) The slang/slur "he must be sczitso!" was often tossed around. Just like people that are wound up or scattered or super busy say "I have add". Its like popular to say you have bipolar. You go from depression in the morning at work to totally happy by lunch and think "oh wow I'm so bipolar" Bipolar is so much more than moods that change. I am sick of these campaigns that are supposed to raise awareness and remove the stigma about mental illness- unless of course something bad happens, then its ok to play armchair psychiatrist and call us crazy. These are devastating conditions in many cases. When I was unmedicated or not on the right meds I would have sleepless nights where I would start enormous projects at three in the morning, crash and leave chaos in my wake. I experienced Fugue episodes where I slurred and was out of touch with reality and almost seemed impaired.Hospitalized 3 times. IOP/PHP twice. These are only a few examples. The opioid campaign is supposed to take the stigma of addiction away but if they don't solidly pair it with good mental health resources and research I cant see how it can be solved.
Sorry for my rant but I get so offended by it.
Do I think something mental was going on with this guy? Yes. Can I say what it was?NO.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/19...y-bipolar.html

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-20-18)
Old 01-22-18, 04:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another article spectulating about mental illness and mass shootings/violence.

Something I meant to mention is, even though people who commit these heinous crimes have something going on mentally- its not the same as comparing them to people who are diagnosed mentally ill or trying to make up your own correlations.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-28-18, 05:53 AM
Mod-A-holic

Re: Another article spectulating about mental illness and mass shootings/violence.

Was curious if adhd is grouped into the "mental health disorders" in the same fashion as someone with bipolar? Wondering if blaming adhd will be the next soup du jour.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links