ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 01-17-18, 07:22 PM

jtie55 will become famous soon enough
Performance Improvement Plan

Well yesterday I was informed that I'm going to be put on a performance improvement plan (PIP) at my work. I'm fully aware of what these are and the stigma of it. I have to go on one or be offered a severance package which I'm sure will not afford me enough time to find other employment. If I had the luxury of not having to worry about money I'd take the severance but that isn't possible given I have a mortgage and bills to pay.

I've worked for the same company for 12 years and make around 6 figures. I've performed at the highest levels in prior positions at this company which led to me getting promoted to the role I'm currently in. The thing is I hate this role and find it terribly boring. It is detailed analysis, mounds of technical reading, sitting through painfully long meetings and little to no visibility. The only visibility I do have is when there is an issue in my area. I literally space out about all day playing on the internet (doing that at this time), text friends, etc then feel terribly guilty of it. I operate in denial that I hate the work but now reality is staring me down.

I plan to search hard for jobs starting today but I'm so shaken up by the dreadful PIP. I am sure others a level above me know I'm on one so I'm doing the walk of shame around the office. I was up all night stressed out and stomach issues due to stress. I take medication (Vyvanse 60 mg) but the work is so boring no medication will fix the problem. Haven't job searched in years but I really have no choice as I do not think I'll turn my poor performance around.
The Following User Says Thank You to jtie55 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-19-18)
Old 01-17-18, 09:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Performance Improvement Plan

Welcome!!! Many of us on here have been on PIPs or things like it so you are in good company. Work is a tough one for so many of us.

This company knows that you are a good worker due to other positions you have excelled at and you've worked a long time. Others above you may know and that is hard to deal with. Read my signature and you'll see that shame and I are well acquainted.

Can you up the dose or maybe change it if it's lost effect?

Is there another position you could go to in that company? Even if going down the ladder?
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-19-18)
Old 01-18-18, 03:43 AM

Thanks for reaching out. Sadly it is good to hear I'm not alone with the PIP. So awful anyone has to go through the process.

The final straw to get on the PIP was me not thoroughly reading an email about presenting some data comparing us to competitors. I had things prepared but not to the detail of my peers. Honestly it is a ******* contest to see who has the most PowerPoint slides in our routine meetings. None of it is valuable to begin with but I would have played along had I read the email better. Ugh! Trust me, I did all sorts of dumb things like this over the year because I have the most boring job ever.

Yes, they are good people at this company and they recognize I have performed really well in other positions but told me they cannot consider that with this PIP decision. I probably need to visit the doctor again to up the dosage. I'm not sure how high is too high with Vyvanse. I'm on 60 mg...is that high for an average sized adult? need to do some research there.

Sadly the company is in the process of a merger and nothing is open internally. Believe me, I'd take a demotion if it were something I could do within my skillset. Sadly, welder and electrician are not skills I own but dang that sounds more interesting that what I am doing now! I do have to wonder if this isn't some sort of house keeping thing to streamline head count prior to the merger.

I fully admit this is not great performance from me but compared to my peers I did argue this was rubbish For example, this lady in her mid 20s is considered a rock star but spends at least 1/2 her time at work planning her wedding or buying a house etc. This has been going on with her within the last 3 years since she started with the company out of college.

Another example: I sat next to a guy who napped all afternoon and did so for several years until he retired. Nobody gave him assignments because he couldn't meet deadlines and was crabby most days. Nobody knew what he did but dang it he was an engineer so they all said he was smart (yes he was at not doing anything and getting paid tons of $)....I did bring this up to management to fight against reasons I will be put on the PIP. He made $20k more than me which I know because he always printed out his pay stubs and left them on the printer.

So despite my efforts to argue that I don't suck as much as others the decision to put me on a PIP was made. I'm currently doing the walk of shame and trying to job search. It's more time consuming than I ever imagined but I'm super fired up, mad/upset/not tired. Just wanted to put this all out here as I'm new to the forum and hope my story can help others.

My ADHD has never ever impacted my career to this level until now. I'm 40 years old with a masters degree in accounting and a CPA of all the boring things. I learned early on in my career that accounting was a bad idea. Well duh! Accounting has to be one of the worst careers for people with ADHD. But the positives out of that background was that it led me to more interesting areas until this position ...which is crazy boring and why I'm on a PIP.

The thing that I'm most upset and ashamed about is that I can't force myself to thrive in the position I'm in. The right person would have respect and stability until retirement. I can't buckle down and perform in this role until there is a gun or a PIP to my head? Even then it is awful. I don't think any ADHD drug can fix this lack of interest in the 6 figure position at hand. I feel like such a selfish brat for even admitting this. I know so many people out there would feel lucky to make that salary or have a job. But I guess I am that big of a selfish lazy brat. I'm also worried all future jobs will be boring and I'll be lazy in those jobs if I'm lucky enough to find anything else. So goody, I'm not sleeping or eating and have wicked diarrhea. Only upside here is weight loss and honestly if I lose more than 15 lbs that won't be good.

Anyways, way too much info but I'm a fighter and will keep fighting to not just beat the PIP but achieve outstanding performance next review. I hope to have something lined up before the "somewhat meets expectations" is cemented on my records too long where I'm at. I know once you've been on a PIP you lose all credibility and zero chance of any upward mobility. I can't obtain outstanding performance in future years given that is sadly the case where I work as is so many places out there. Plus this current job is super boring so yeah I can prove success for 1 year but sustaining it beyond that is just not realistic.

Sorry this was so long and I'd be too ADHD to read all this. But writing it was therapeutic. :P
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jtie55 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-19-18), finallyfound10 (01-20-18), Little Missy (01-18-18), stef (01-18-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-18, 12:53 PM

Noreaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtie55 View Post
Thanks for reaching out. Sadly it is good to hear I'm not alone with the PIP. So awful anyone has to go through the process.

The final straw to get on the PIP was me not thoroughly reading an email about presenting some data comparing us to competitors. I had things prepared but not to the detail of my peers. Honestly it is a ******* contest to see who has the most PowerPoint slides in our routine meetings. None of it is valuable to begin with but I would have played along had I read the email better. Ugh! Trust me, I did all sorts of dumb things like this over the year because I have the most boring job ever.

Yes, they are good people at this company and they recognize I have performed really well in other positions but told me they cannot consider that with this PIP decision. I probably need to visit the doctor again to up the dosage. I'm not sure how high is too high with Vyvanse. I'm on 60 mg...is that high for an average sized adult? need to do some research there.

Sadly the company is in the process of a merger and nothing is open internally. Believe me, I'd take a demotion if it were something I could do within my skillset. Sadly, welder and electrician are not skills I own but dang that sounds more interesting that what I am doing now! I do have to wonder if this isn't some sort of house keeping thing to streamline head count prior to the merger.

I fully admit this is not great performance from me but compared to my peers I did argue this was rubbish For example, this lady in her mid 20s is considered a rock star but spends at least 1/2 her time at work planning her wedding or buying a house etc. This has been going on with her within the last 3 years since she started with the company out of college.

Another example: I sat next to a guy who napped all afternoon and did so for several years until he retired. Nobody gave him assignments because he couldn't meet deadlines and was crabby most days. Nobody knew what he did but dang it he was an engineer so they all said he was smart (yes he was at not doing anything and getting paid tons of $)....I did bring this up to management to fight against reasons I will be put on the PIP. He made $20k more than me which I know because he always printed out his pay stubs and left them on the printer.

So despite my efforts to argue that I don't suck as much as others the decision to put me on a PIP was made. I'm currently doing the walk of shame and trying to job search. It's more time consuming than I ever imagined but I'm super fired up, mad/upset/not tired. Just wanted to put this all out here as I'm new to the forum and hope my story can help others.

My ADHD has never ever impacted my career to this level until now. I'm 40 years old with a masters degree in accounting and a CPA of all the boring things. I learned early on in my career that accounting was a bad idea. Well duh! Accounting has to be one of the worst careers for people with ADHD. But the positives out of that background was that it led me to more interesting areas until this position ...which is crazy boring and why I'm on a PIP.

The thing that I'm most upset and ashamed about is that I can't force myself to thrive in the position I'm in. The right person would have respect and stability until retirement. I can't buckle down and perform in this role until there is a gun or a PIP to my head? Even then it is awful. I don't think any ADHD drug can fix this lack of interest in the 6 figure position at hand. I feel like such a selfish brat for even admitting this. I know so many people out there would feel lucky to make that salary or have a job. But I guess I am that big of a selfish lazy brat. I'm also worried all future jobs will be boring and I'll be lazy in those jobs if I'm lucky enough to find anything else. So goody, I'm not sleeping or eating and have wicked diarrhea. Only upside here is weight loss and honestly if I lose more than 15 lbs that won't be good.

Anyways, way too much info but I'm a fighter and will keep fighting to not just beat the PIP but achieve outstanding performance next review. I hope to have something lined up before the "somewhat meets expectations" is cemented on my records too long where I'm at. I know once you've been on a PIP you lose all credibility and zero chance of any upward mobility. I can't obtain outstanding performance in future years given that is sadly the case where I work as is so many places out there. Plus this current job is super boring so yeah I can prove success for 1 year but sustaining it beyond that is just not realistic.

Sorry this was so long and I'd be too ADHD to read all this. But writing it was therapeutic. :P
I'm in a similar position bit bored by the work and not sure what to do. I can tell you my job before my current one sounds alot like yours. I never got on a PIP there but I think I was close. Mostly because I procrastinated alot. I was fine when I actually did the job. That was at a fortune 500 company and I realized part of the problem was not just doing the job but how you appeared to your coworkers. When I worked in trades it was easy to see things getting done and I loved it and my employers loved me. But the more I have worked in an office the less efficient I have become and I think it rubs off on fellow employees, dragging down peoples perception of me. I think for me I kind of have a time limit at jobs as well. moving jobs seems to help at least for a year or two so yeah applying for a new job may be a good idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Noreaster For This Useful Post:
jtie55 (01-23-18)
Old 01-23-18, 03:55 PM

Sorry to hear you've had the same type of struggles. They are encouraging me to apply for another jump in the company but it is more boring that the one I have with extra nerdy boring people. I can't be continuously miserable. Sanity is worth more.

I'm doing the PIP and getting things done on it for the next 3 months as there is a gun to my head. Every min of every day is so painful. I can't eat or sleep. I'm just obsessed at the PIP. Selling the PIP as a good thing is downright cruel. I was not amused at the "sell." But I have to pay mortgage and bills so other than winning the lottery or taking a worse job these were my only options. I do not trust the severance plan option would buy me enough time to find anything else. That was an option as well. Ugh!

Hang in there and hope you find something less boring that pays the bills too.
Old 01-23-18, 07:40 PM

Thanked 3,922 Times in 2,020 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Sorry for your troubles. Getting bored of work is a problem for me too.

I recommend saving money so you can one day retire early if need be. We often burn bright but short. If you think you'll be like that, I'd save just in case. With your salary, you can get a decent nest egg really quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
jtie55 (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 02:16 PM

I'm far from retirement let alone early retirement. They were wanting me to apply to another job in the company which is actually more boring yet pays more. I'm to the point where something more boring will only be trouble for me. My boss is encouraging me to apply for FMLA and take a short term leave of absence to get the anxiety under control and come back refreshed. Maybe it is that simple. I'm wiling to give that a try before being placed on a PIP.
Old 01-24-18, 05:59 PM

Thanked 3,922 Times in 2,020 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtie55 View Post
I'm far from retirement let alone early retirement. They were wanting me to apply to another job in the company which is actually more boring yet pays more. I'm to the point where something more boring will only be trouble for me. My boss is encouraging me to apply for FMLA and take a short term leave of absence to get the anxiety under control and come back refreshed. Maybe it is that simple. I'm wiling to give that a try before being placed on a PIP.
Oh, i didnt mean retire now. Saying I just recommend saving more so if your need to one day if you need to retire early, you can. I realize now that if I don't retire early that I'll end up dying early. So glad I saved.

Your bosses idea sounds like a good one to me. Thpugh id still look for another job. Best of luck.

Best of luck to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
jtie55 (01-29-18)
Old 01-28-18, 09:09 PM

roflwaffle is on a distinguished road

Does your employer know you have ADD, and if so, have you requested some form of accomodation? It may be possible to make some constructive changes to how you do your job that would play to your strengths. If push comes to shove and your employer refuses to even consider reasonable accomodations, that undermines their ability to terminate you for performance problems. Even if you're on the fence, I would request accomodation and retain proof of your request prior to going on FMLA because a company is within their rights to terminate someone on FMLA if there a performance problems documented prior to going on FMLA.

In terms of accomodations, the JAN has a good overview of ADD and reasonable accomodations.

https://askjan.org/media/downloads/ADHDA&CSeries.pdf

If you have any questions, they also have a really good helpline, and from personal experience they'll escalate your questions all the way up to the chain if need be (the person who handles their ADD stuff).

I was in a kind of similar situation, although in my case I think it was more about spreading blame for a problem out among a bunch of people instead of specific performance problems I had. I recieved a written warning for a poorly defined performance problem (other people also recieved warnings), even after telling my manager I was having problems because of my medication/ADD, which is a no-no based on my conversations on the JAN's helpline since initially telling my manager about my problems is considered a request for accomodation.

After the warning I explicitly requested accomodation, even though my earlier exchange was enough for a request for accomodation, and HR was looped in. They shot down all my suggestions for accomodation except for one, and from that point on my performance was "excellent", even though it didn't change much from my point of view

I now make more, have way more flexibility in work hours, and spend more time browsing random websites during work, although I do try to work hard and complete the work assigned to me. I think the biggest change is that I seem to have a lot more lattitude about how I do my work, and I can do things in ways that are far more interesting/engaging as long as the company can still expect a reasonable amount of work in a reasonable amount of time.

Anyhow, if a company refuses to provide you with reasonable accomodations, they erode their ability to terminate you for performance problems without violating the ADA, so it's worth asking about if you're willing to. Technically they can refuse to provide accomodation and accept the work you provide without it, but any termination after a request for accomodation doesn't look good for the company, especially if they refused to provide accomodations that are generally seen as reasonable (it's good to check with JAN about accomodation ideas).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roflwaffle For This Useful Post:
jtie55 (01-29-18), namazu (01-29-18)
Old 01-29-18, 03:27 PM

I've told them about my ADHD if anything to CYA myself. I've asked for longer deadlines as this plan will be impossible to get everything done by such aggressive deadlines but nothing as been granted.

I spend more time documenting tasks I work on or plan to work on and documenting all the steps/issues in a task than I spend actually doing any task. Since it is so hard for me to buckle down and do documentation work I'm often documenting until 4am. By then I'm too fired up to sleep. I pulled 2 allnighters last week alone from documentation. Anxiety spirals out of control and I panic about getting it all done.

I will check out that website. Thanks for all the suggestions!