ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 01-26-18, 06:23 PM

Jason26 is on a distinguished road
To The Psychiatrist I Go

So I was able to see my GP a couple days ago and he decided to refer me to a psychiatrist. Can anyone give me any insight on what I should expect from the appointment such as tests, etc.?
Old 01-26-18, 07:58 PM
Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: To The Psychiatrist I Go

I think it'd be helpful for us if you would provide more background info about yourself. I did a quick search on your previous posts, and it looks like you were diagnosed as a kid, but that your dad ended your med treatment due to his personal beliefs about medicine.

You should just summarize that to the psychiatrist. Since you already have the diagnosis, and since you're now an adult who can make his own decisions, I don't think you should have too much trouble being prescribed ADHD medicine. That being said, don't try to play doctor, and just let the psychiatrist do his/her job.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-26-18)
Old 01-27-18, 09:02 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,045 Times in 14,226 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldnt worry about tests because there are no approved tests for adhd. You should be prepared to give a thorough history with examples of how adhd as impacted you since childhood. Sometimes having school reports helps but its not required. Sometimes they recommend the conners' survey for yourself and someone close to you but its also not required. I had to write stuff down in a notebook so I wouldnt forget anything the very first time I saw my doc 17 years ago. I still use that notebook for med changes and stuff like that. It was sort of like prep for a class. I had my notes and was ready to explain them,

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-27-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-18, 06:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,188 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Just be ready to tell your story when the person asks, "What brought you here?"

Just tell them about the issues you're struggling with and how they are harming your life. And answer honestly ....

Tone