ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-18, 05:11 AM

br3akingchains is on a distinguished road
My caffeine addiction

After going through some horrible, horrible months I now know how much I have to respect caffeine’s effect on me.

In the past I never felt anything when drinking coffee, no extra alertness, no anxiety or jitters if I drank a lot and no trouble falling asleep right after drinking it.

I always had a very hard time waking up and night sweats were a routine thing. I had gotten used to drinking between 8-12 cups of coffee a day(sometimes more) and didn’t realize I had become tolerant and dependent on it. This isn’t counting other caffeinated beverages.

I quit coffee after realizing I would get some pretty bad headaches if I didn’t drink any for a day or two. I quit cold turkey last fall. BOY WAS THAT A MISTAKE!!

The months after quitting a very bad coffee addiction cold turkey were dreadful, gray, zero motivation...I was depressed and couldn’t even get myself to even start a project let alone finish anything. I was used to some level of apathy but not like this.

After having what seemed like the start of a panic attack I decided I would start drinking coffee again. I had to see if the absence of coffee was what caused such a sudden and uncharacteristic change in my mood and motivation. The following day I was groggy at work. after getting a full nights sleep (early to bed, early to rise) there was no reason for me to be tired, right? I had to get my first cup of coffee in months.

It felt a lot like the first time I took stimulants. Everything was so much brighter, clearer, happier. I don’t remember getting this feeling ever before in my history of drinking coffee. It was incredible!! A cup of coffee lifted an ocean of gray that had been with me for so long.

I’ve read a lot of personal stories about how coffee withdrawal can last months, sometimes longer, not the headaches but the mood/motivation symptoms that come afterwards. I plan to quit coffee or maybe keep it to one cup a day, max. If I decide to quit I’ll wean myself off slowly and recommend the same for anyone else trying to quit.

I’ve tried messing with diets, sleep schedules, med admin time etc to figure out ways to optimize my mood, motivation and time. It seems that coffee was a big player affecting most aspects of my life. So far meds seem to work great, consistently as long as I don’t over do the caffeine.

Today I overdid the caffeine and took my meds a little late which is why I’m still up at 4 in the morning...I’m hoping I can still salvage some of my day if I can get some rest before dawn.

Btw, a friend suggested that the night sweats are due to withdrawal, he had the same thing happen after overdoing caffeine for a few months. If you’re tolerance is high and you drink a lot of coffee everyday you might be going through mini withdrawals while you sleep, This explains the sweating and unrefreshing sleep.
Old 02-05-18, 05:27 AM

Re: My caffeine addiction

Here’s a helpful link for those interested, but even more helpful/interesting are the comments on the bottom of the page of the people who had high caffeine consumption and quit cold turkey.

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/my-caffeine-detox

Here is one of the most helpful videos I found

https://youtu.be/_kXq8na6Q9w
Old 04-13-18, 04:23 PM

Re: My caffeine addiction

So far so good. I weaned myself off caffeine back in February-March. No caffeine for a couple weeks now and the second time around feels much better than the first. I look forward to everything improving as time goes by.

I’ve also started going to the gym very consistently and am eating as healthy as ever. Woooohoooo
Sponsored Links