ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 01-27-18, 01:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 24,438 Times in 11,336 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dual diagnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I think what you are worried about OP is more like urban legend than fact. Most of the people who complain they feel like zombies or lose their creativity are on the wrong dose or wrong med. And like someone else said, you would know right away if something isnt jiving and can stop them.
It's based on some history though. Back in the 80's when treatment for ADD
was new there was only one medication, Ritalin.

We know now that it doesn't work for everyone, and doctors were still new at
working out doses, so some kids really did feel or look like zombies.

And some parents thought the kids needed the meds and kept them on them.
We know better now so we can do better now.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 02-01-18, 08:08 PM

FlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the roughFlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the roughFlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the rough

I would love to try something low dose. I have so many ideas that I can't follow through on. I don't have natural will power for many tasks. If I am feeling manic I can work like a fiend. That can carry me for a long time if I am happy with it. But lately I have lost hope in the usefulness of creative endeavors. I am pretty good at a lot of things, better than good at a few things, but not very successful at anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlipperTheWhale For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-01-18)
Old 02-06-18, 06:11 AM
Jr Member

TheWomble is on a distinguished road

I hear ya. Low self-esteem seems to follow with ADHD. So many projects not completed, so many great but unrealized ideas. It's unbelievably depressing and frustrating.

The one thing I have been able to stick at is music. It's creative, energetic, exciting, and I have found a really cool supportive bunch of guys to play with. I think the isolation that goes with having ADHD can be crushing. Forums like these are life savers (and I say that literally).

The one thing I would say is try to work to your strengths initially. If you write, bash out the first draft like Kerouac (minus the Benzedrine and Whiskey of course). Then you have an admittedly rough but complete piece of material to work with. Then you can take your time knowing that you have a first draft done.
Sponsored Links