ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-05-18, 06:24 PM

Comanglia is on a distinguished road
Recently Diagnosed trouble deciding on medication

So I've been recently diagnosed with ADHD -inattentive type. Before I could begin any form of medication I had to get a EKG/ECG done. I did the EKG testing and it comes out that I have a "premature ventricular contraction" or PVC. Due to this I'm being denied being able to use Stimulant ADHD medication (Ritalin, Adderall, etc). I've also been asked to quite caffeine entirely and been given the option to get the testing done again in about 1 month to see if that was the cause of my issue (I was ingesting approx. ~600-800mg of caffeine daily) and if I'm good at that point I could possibly start a Stimulant medication. Problem is there's no guarantee I'll have a good test. I was told to lookup some other options. Strattera (Atomoxetine) which seems ok, but everything I'm finding on it suggests it's less effective than the stimulants, but still effective. Guanfacine which the side effects of that seem positively terrible especially since some of the things that bother me the most about my symptoms would be made worse by those side effects (Sedation feeling, Anxiety, Nightmares, etc) and finally Wellbutrin which everything I'm finding on this suggests it's marginally better than placebo for ADHD...

The doctor who referred me to the psychiatrist who diagnosed me also prescribed me Prozac (Fluoxetine), and that was absolutely terrible and would never do again.

So I guess the main things I'm looking for is...

Should I wait to see if I can be put on a stimulant?
Should I try a different drug in the mean time?
What are people's experience with the nonstimulant medication?

Also should mention I'm looking to avoid feeling super tired, rather not have my anxiety issues come back, I don't want to be an apathetic zombie to life.
Old 02-06-18, 12:28 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,352 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of
Re: Recently Diagnosed trouble deciding on medication

Hi Co, I am going to assume that you have symptoms that you strongly feel need to be addressed. So in your case, I would
  • Cut out the caffeine and try to address PVC if possible.
  • Research the approved and off-label drugs and make a prioritized list w/ questions.
  • Send the list to your Doc and let him/her know you want their input to review the list and decide which med to try next.
  • Start meds approved by your Doc.
  • Keep daily logs as to effectiveness, problems, concerns, etc.

This is liable to be a lengthy process and the sooner you start the better. Your Doc is open to off-labels (fluoxetine) so take a look at the WIKI for "Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder management" for ideas. If you get the PVC's addressed you might have found a drug that works great for you or you have found some that don't and you will be ready to try stimulants. HTH and GL, -LN
Old 02-07-18, 04:59 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,667 Times in 14,621 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Is this all being handled by a cardiologist or just a primary?

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-18, 09:57 AM

Comanglia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Is this all being handled by a cardiologist or just a primary?
I'm seeing a Psychiatrist and a Primary care physician.
Old 02-09-18, 07:50 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,667 Times in 14,621 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanglia View Post
I'm seeing a Psychiatrist and a Primary care physician.
I think in your case its important to get clearance from a cardiologist and not rely on your primary. Ive known people who were told by their primary that they could not take stimulants but then got clearance after some specific cardiologist testing to try them. Primary doctors are mainly for sick visits, general heath maintenance and harm reduction. Its easier for them to protect themselves and the patient by saying no and not digging any further. I have high blood pressure. My primary knows I am on adderall from my psyche and she prescribes me my metoprolol for my BP.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 02-09-18, 09:04 AM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road

It is suggested in some scientific literature that predominantly inattentives would generally do better on non-stimulant treatments such as Atomoxetine (Strattera), or only in low doses to stimulants.

I am currently just starting on Strattera, so I don't know yet (You need to give strattera 2 months, one month to build up, another month to gauge it's effect). The Wellbutrin made me abit more anxious and apathetic (= a boring ****).
200 mg Sertraline
5 mg Abilify
80 mg Strattera
Old 02-11-18, 11:00 AM

Mlr3475080 is on a distinguished road

PVCs are actually quite
Common and usually not a problem.. I had them while
On Adderall but I guess theyre being cautious.
Im curious as to what Med you end up on as stimulants seem to just increase my anxiety too much. Ill be following your thread good luck