ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-18, 05:24 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,643 Times in 14,606 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Meeting with School Today

I wish I had been more sensitive and compassionate with my reply- sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_in_SanJose View Post
It is suffering because he can't focus. He gets anxiety about not finishing assignments. He isn't like one of those kids that doesn't care and blows it off. He is literally in a panic in the morning if he knows he didn't finish something. And for what? Because he didn't write the 20th sentence to correct grammar that he already knows and it would be more appropriate to just correct the grammar rather than re-write the entire sentence.
I think rather than eliminating extra or "busy"work he should just be allowed more time to do it.This way its fair in that he still does what all the kids are doing but when it comes to homework or even unfinished classwork he should be allowed to finish it with more time or at home. Busy work or not, I believe that the repetition is important.

Quote:
As for "testing out", again we are in a private school. It doesn't work that way. The material he is learning is only 25% of it for me. I want him well rounded, interested and exposed to lots of different things and his peers. Socially he is in the right class. I would never want him younger in grade, especially in the HS years when he will be immature and unable to handle the peer craziness plus the workload.
Does the school have a gifted sort of class?My son's school had a Gifted program that was just a pull out program once a week where they did challenging things but everything else was just regular work and the same regular classes.

Quote:
More kids at our school stay back as the work is challenging(they are likely doing 5th grade work compared to public school), so for example my daughter is 11 in 6th grade but she has at least 5 kids that just turned 13... He is already in advanced math, so we are all good. At this stage I am not even sure college will be the right place for him. Yes he is super smart, but if he doesn't enjoy school he will need to find something he is passionate about and that will make him excited to learn. Right now he wants to be a chef. Yes, he can focus on a recipe for well over an hour...He is 9 and makes some really good food. Everything that I have read on ADHD inattentive is him to a T. If something excites him he can super focus, if something is boring he struggles and struggles.
Good lord do not worry about college now! The pressure they put on kids now in days to think about college- its so stressful. My youngest just started 9th grade and has horrible anxiety because she thinks that ever single grade will affect getting into college. I told her that she needs to focus on being 14 and doing her best. There are no rules about college. I told her I want her to be happy with her life and self sufficient. If that means being a trash collector, a circus clown or a doctor-thats fine with me, as long as she can support herself and is happy.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
stef (02-09-18)