ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 02-12-18, 09:58 PM

Maghh96 is on a distinguished road
Can't concentrate on studies whatsoever (Any med students with ADD)?

Hello,

I'll try to be as concise as possible...

I'm a first year medical student who's been having serious problems concentrating while studying for exams, or even in class. It's like, there are 2-3 hours per day when I can actually focus/study; rest of the day I would hopelessly spend hours staring at the textbook without absorbing any info I'm reading. When I'm focused im great and have above average learning/information acquisition abilities. I basically have to be in a very good mood so I can actually start functioning. The hours being wasted doing nothing is just annoying, seeing my classmates able to be on time, finishing loads of studies in their break times, being able to focus in class, when I physiologically can't is driving me nuts. It's also affecting my social skills in terms of being attentive to people around me; however, that's not as frustrating as it is with my learning shortcomings.

I went to two psychiatrists: one diagnosed with me with ADD (Prescribed me Concerta), and the other Dysthymia (Prozac). Concerta worked for the first two days (could be psychological) then it failed big time even when I increased dosage to 36 mg.

Importantly, this has been seriously affecting my studies and me being able to lead a normal life. Right now, I'm just a phone addict (my phone addiction could cause my attention issues?) with a very lazy and unproductive life style.

I have no idea what's happening to me but it's depressingly frustrating me, LIKE BIG TIME FRUSTRATING. Should l try and change Concerta? Or what can I do?

Is there any methods to improve my attention/short term memory acquisition? As in any tests to make my brain more lucid and active? I'm willing to do whatever it takes to gain my normal performance back. Otherwise I'll have to quit uni.

Any help however tiny would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-15-18, 04:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,544 Times in 1,193 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can't concentrate on studies whatsoever (Any med students with ADD)?

Could be lots of things ...

But big picture suggestion: You don't have to diagnose yourself. Instead, nail down the symptoms with precision and detail ... And then share that info with a doctor ... ... and let them use their training and experience to figure out what might be going wrong.

You're in med school, and you'll soon learn that the most helpful thing patients can do for doctors is be really specific and thorough and honest about the symptoms they're having ... The least helpful thing patients can do is edit and omit symptoms in hopes of getting a specific medication and treatment. The challenge is that sometimes seemingly random stuff is relevant ... Any stress in your family? ... any recent relationship problems? ... A recent (or not so recent) parental divorce or absent parent ... or a sibling crisis ... These matters can totally wreck the mood of an adult child even though the person thinks they're "handling it." Sometimes there is a delay in the impact of a family problem.

Now to your specific possibilities.

Assuming the Concerta doesn't help, then your doc can adjust the dose or try a different med ... And doc can try a different antidepressant. Just so you know, many people with ADHD have (as you probably know this term) co-morbidity ... meaning very common for folks to have ADHD and depression or ADHD and anxiety ... And you have to treat them both ... Treating the ADHD doesn't necessarily solve the depression (though it can help).

Exercise might be really helpful ... it gives your mind a physical break ... and exercise boosts the mood and concentration ... And it doesn't something else ... it helps get people "out of their head" when they're stuck processing something ... And regular exercise can put the rest of life in perspective ...

Phone sounds serious ... I'm constantly fighting internet addiction ... and the problem is ... you could be using the phone to boost your mood ... and using the phone, despite the short-term high, could be undermining your mood and your focus. Both things could be going on. I couldn't manage a smart phone--way too addicted ... I shifted back to a plain phone, and I love it!

Med school is exhausting and at times very tedious--especially the first few years when they're dumping all this info on you ... So if you have the habit of ignoring pain and not paying attention deeply to what's going on inside, you may be paying a price because the challenge you face is really an enormous one right now. Transitions and relocations are often times when the unfinished business and pain of the past comes roaring back.

Your med school should have some counseling center ... and don't dare worry about "stigma." Be aggressive and persistent and shameless until you are functioning better. You can even ask your professors for suggestions. I teach in college, and trust me: nobody in school administration cares that a student or faculty member is getting therapy or meds. Plenty of my colleagues have been in therapy and been on medication. And these days, we hide it less and less.

Good luck.

Tone
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Funky1 (05-07-18), Maghh96 (02-16-18), Tetrahedra (02-19-18)
Old 02-17-18, 07:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,190 Times in 14,311 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maghh96 View Post
Hello,

I'll try to be as concise as possible...

I'm a first year medical student who's been having serious problems concentrating while studying for exams, or even in class. It's like, there are 2-3 hours per day when I can actually focus/study; rest of the day I would hopelessly spend hours staring at the textbook without absorbing any info I'm reading. When I'm focused im great and have above average learning/information acquisition abilities. I basically have to be in a very good mood so I can actually start functioning. The hours being wasted doing nothing is just annoying, seeing my classmates able to be on time, finishing loads of studies in their break times, being able to focus in class, when I physiologically can't is driving me nuts. It's also affecting my social skills in terms of being attentive to people around me; however, that's not as frustrating as it is with my learning shortcomings.

I went to two psychiatrists: one diagnosed with me with ADD (Prescribed me Concerta), and the other Dysthymia (Prozac). Concerta worked for the first two days (could be psychological) then it failed big time even when I increased dosage to 36 mg.
Which psychiatrist are you seeing now? The one who gave you concerta or the one who gave you prozac?
One of the biggest issues with medical school is competitiveness and comparing yourself to others. Its a make or break environment and I am sure there is a higher than normal drop out rate. Do not worry about what your fellow students can do. Focus on yourself. Go to the psyche that prescribed you concerta and ask to try something different. Find the on campus counseling services and start some therapy- even if its just to blow off steam.

Quote:
Importantly, this has been seriously affecting my studies and me being able to lead a normal life. Right now, I'm just a phone addict (my phone addiction could cause my attention issues?) with a very lazy and unproductive life style.

I have no idea what's happening to me but it's depressingly frustrating me, LIKE BIG TIME FRUSTRATING. Should l try and change Concerta? Or what can I do?

Is there any methods to improve my attention/short term memory acquisition? As in any tests to make my brain more lucid and active? I'm willing to do whatever it takes to gain my normal performance back. Otherwise I'll have to quit uni.

Any help however tiny would be much appreciated. Thanks!
You need better medications and if allowed- accommodations to help you with the requirements. I dont know if thats a thing with med school or not. Get that diagnosis nailed down and start some therapy and get better medicine. I think thats a goof place to start.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ToneTone (02-21-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-18, 02:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

Tetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really nice

Hey, does your doctor know that you're taking two medications at once? If you got one medication from one doctor and the other from a second doctor, you need to make sure that whoever is prescribing you your medications right now (whichever one you consider to be "your doctor") is well aware that you're taking two medications. There could be drug interactions that can be lethal if you're mixing drugs that aren't supposed to be mixed.

I do echo the sentiment of going to your doctor and giving a list of symptoms, especially noting which ones occur in which environment, how long they last, etc. Also there are tons of ADHD medications, so maybe Concerta doesn't work but there are others that do work for you.

In the meantime, I suggest that every time you realize that you hit a period of not being able to study to do something else instead: go for a walk or jog, play a board game with a friend (or solitaire, whatever), do some stretches, wash the dishes, vacuum, etc. Try to do something productive with the time - no matter how small- so that you aren't worrying about what you're NOT doing and can instead focus on what you ARE doing and the fact that you are being productive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tetrahedra For This Useful Post:
ToneTone (02-21-18)
Old 05-06-18, 11:07 AM

apothecia is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Can't concentrate on studies whatsoever (Any med students with ADD)?

Hi,

I totally feel you! I have been working really hard to get into a good PA program, and I always blow it at the end of the semester. Here I sit again in this same position. It is really stressful and frustrating because I have been a caregiver for the elderly and people with disabilities. My struggles with my own disabilities and life experiences have instilled a deeper understanding and compassion for people and their hardships which translates to better bedside manner. I am a double-major and, if I can just make it to graduation, will have a degree in both biochemistry and cellular-molecular biology.

I watch my peers nail stuff down that I can't remember. I contrived this awesome study method for biochemistry that's great for tactile learners. You could also use this method (if you like fabricating things) for anatomy/physiology. I cut a bunch of shapes out felt and write names on them for the cycles. I have the entire krebs cycle, the urea cycle, the antagonistic process of glycolysis/gluconeogenesis, the electron transport chain, pyruvate dehydrogenase complex, all cut out of felt. I have all of the enzymes and all of the cofactors, and I use yarn with arrows glued onto it for the bonds. I can construct the different pathways and I actually remember how it works because it's interactive. If I'd had time, I could have done that for my physio class too, but I'm stuck in this awful physical chemistry class and it's kicking my *** and destroying my GPA.

First and foremost, find a psychiatrist who understands you. You will know, if you feel icky when you leave there, like they're just prescribing stuff based on theory (I have had to fire psychiatrists for this) then find someone else who you feel has a more qualitative understanding of your challenges. I am

Disclaimer: This is what has worked for ME in the past, but as you probably know, there are different types of ADHD and what has worked for me may not work for you. But, here it is.
Meds that worked for me in the past:

adderall instant release (10 mg/4-6 hours) and

ritalin (5-10 mg) as needed.

I also have found relief from small amounts of Valium when I get insomnia, but I don't take that on a regular basis - maybe a couple of days in a row every couple of weeks.

I wish you the best of luck. You can do this! A lot of those other students who are nailing good grades are good at memorizing theory and writing papers about it, but at the end of the day, how are they at connecting with and caring for people?

Now, my question for you is: Is there a medical school I can get into with a 2.78 GPA?

Last edited by peripatetic; 05-07-18 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: removed references to illegal substances per guidelines.