ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-18, 11:56 AM
Jr Member

yentzee is on a distinguished road
Hi from Germany

Hi,
my name is Jens. I am 40 years old and have been diagnosed about half a year ago. Being a doctor myself (well not excatly - I am a dentist) I suspected having adhd for quite a while. Having had some expercinence with illegal substances in the past I noticed getting calm when taking something while others got really active (obviously dependent on the dose).

I have been taking methylphenidat (product is called medikinet and contains a slow release form of methylphenidat as well as a normal one) since then which really helped especially with my temper and impulsivity (is this even an english word???). Anyway - I now read the fourth book and the more I read and know the more I realize how much ADHD (in my case a very mild hyperactive part) is holding me back. Unfortunately while I was doing more or less fine (obviously lots of trouble at school) small issues that never have been of great interest to me or the people around me I notice that these problems are getting more and more serious with time. I am very self councious even if get lots of good feedback. Regardless if it is about chatting up a woman or being in a group of people where I am the new one I find myself struggleing more and more to connect. This is 50% my fault as I get bored pretty quick and as soon as I hear things like football, cars, marvel movies etc I am gone and then on the other hand the things I like to talk about seem a bit weird to lots of people.

There is a Germany forum but as diagnosis and treatment or lets say acceptance of ADHD is way more developed than it is in Germany (most of my friends don't take this seriously and I feel ashamed when I want to talk about stuff that has to do with it fearing that people might think this is just an excuse or some topic to feel important etc.) I thought I gonna have a look in here and see what is happening on the other side of the atalantic ocean. I am really interested in seeing how other people cope with problems I have too and that I don't really have an answer for. I am visiting a coach / therapist who does know about adhd but I am just in the beginning and would need a much more intense appointmentplan than his appointmentbook allows.

It seems clear that the medication is doing positive on certain aspects but obviously can not treat things that are the result of being a bit different. So yeah opefully I will get some intersting insights into other peoples way of experiencing, living, enjoying and working with the condition.

Last edited by Greyhound1; 02-19-18 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Added paragraphs for easier reading and changed retarded to slow release for clarity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yentzee For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (02-19-18), Lash107 (02-27-18)
Old 02-19-18, 12:10 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 22,831 Times in 13,496 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hi from Germany

Hello and welcome
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
yentzee (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 11:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

Hello, and welcome!!
The Following User Says Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
yentzee (02-22-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-18, 06:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

Hi, with regard to attitudes in Germany regarding ADD, I know a psychiatrist in the US who is a native of Germany,( and studied at The University of Cologne), who treats ADD. Her name is Dr. Cordulla Holzer and she is at 825 South 12th Street Philadelphia, Pa. 19147 USA maybe she can give you some names of professionals who might be helpful
Old 02-22-18, 08:39 AM
Jr Member

yentzee is on a distinguished road

Thanks, that is really nice of you.

I am having a neurologist where I get the presciption and a therapist in Hamburg so I am covered

Just curious of what people in the us (i suppose the forum is us based?) are saying, thinking etc. as the condition is way more accepted than in Germany from what I think.
It hopefully gives some ideas on how to deal with certain things, get tips on good reads and just interact with other people that can relate.
Old 02-23-18, 01:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

Sure, read Ratey and hallowell's 'Driven to Distraction' excellent primer written by a neurologist who discovered that he had ADD when he was in medical school studying neurology.
Absolutely, feel free to ask any questions you like, you can private message me as well if you like.