ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-19-18, 07:07 AM

andyb1205 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ADHD Stigma!

So I’ve been trying hard to get my younger brother, who just turned 17, medical treatment for ADHD. He suffers greatly from ADHD symptoms and also has High Functioning Autism.

From my own experience, the earlier one is treated the better. I have been outraged at the run around by doctors, who seem to think that only kids who are dumb, stupid, lazy and unorganized can have ADHD! In Grade 11 he’s been struggling very hard in school, increasing the depression, anxiety and OCD. His paediatrician (family doctor referred him to her) wants him to do more testing (as if a total of 7 hours of psycho evaluation with a registered psychologist at the school wasn’t enough!) and doesn’t think he has ADHD or needs treatment because he gets good grades and has a tidy and neat room. The kid gets As and Bs by regularly staying after school for an hour to get help from a homework club, sees a tutor for 3-4 hours a week, gets extended time for writing tests and doing homework, and has to spend ridiculous amounts of time on homework as if he’s studying in med school or law school! Not to mention his perfectionism had been carved by emotional and physical abuse from the parents, the latter which has recently stopped ever since I moved back into the house. We shared this with the doctor while discussing his coping strategies that help him manage ADHD at the expense of worsening anxiety and OCD.

The lack of sympathy from doctors is just disgusting. It breaks my heart that life can be much easier for him and the more it’s delayed the more he suffers. Meanwhile his teachers at school are wondering what the heck is taking so long for the doctors to help him! I’m afraid he will first be put on antidepressants which may further increase his inattention and demoralize him. Though that’s another issue entirely, he may or may not need them in addition to the ADHD meds.

I will get his teacher to write a letter that I can give to the paediatrician, highlighting the importance of treatment for ADHD. He will see her in a month. I’m just so angry that she didn’t give him anything in the first meeting, we had waited patiently after getting the referral from the family doctor. I can’t believe she wants to do further tests, and she’s just a family doc for kids under 18, despite extensive evaluation already done by a psychologist. She also wants him to bring his past report cards as if that’s even relevant! Sorry for the rant, just had to vent! The stigma against ADHD and especially medication is appalling. Yet antidepressants are handed out like candy.

I don’t want him to crash like I did. I had gotten into a top school in Canada, McGill University, by just hyperfocusing with all-nighters and coffee/cig binging. Crashed hard and I’m still trying to recover 7 years later, only recently I began treatment for the ADHD. Life would’ve been so much more different had it been much sooner.
The Following User Says Thank You to andyb1205 For This Useful Post:
ToneTone (02-23-18)
Old 02-19-18, 09:41 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,347 Times in 780 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of
Re: ADHD Stigma!

Andy, just a suggestion. I would try to emphasize how ADHD has negatively impacted your brother's life. I would make a list of each symptom he suffers from. For each symptom, detail a real life occurrence (NOT SUPPOSITIONAL) of that symptom occurring and next to that detail the negative impact to your brother. HTH, -LN
Old 02-19-18, 06:04 PM

susanv1994 is on a distinguished road

Sorry it is taking so long. Have you considered going to an actual psychiatrist or psychologist? Also the suggestion of mentioning symptoms instead of impact is a good idea. If due to insurance reasons, a psychiatrist of psychologist is not an option, then perhaps you can highlight the evaluation from the school when you see the doctor. Have you checked out some of the resources on Autism, such as Autism Speaks or The Autism Society?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-18, 03:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,162 Times in 14,294 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb1205 View Post
So Iíve been trying hard to get my younger brother, who just turned 17, medical treatment for ADHD. He suffers greatly from ADHD symptoms and also has High Functioning Autism.

From my own experience, the earlier one is treated the better. I have been outraged at the run around by doctors, who seem to think that only kids who are dumb, stupid, lazy and unorganized can have ADHD! In Grade 11 heís been struggling very hard in school, increasing the depression, anxiety and OCD. His paediatrician (family doctor referred him to her) wants him to do more testing (as if a total of 7 hours of psycho evaluation with a registered psychologist at the school wasnít enough!) and doesnít think he has ADHD or needs treatment because he gets good grades and has a tidy and neat room. The kid gets As and Bs by regularly staying after school for an hour to get help from a homework club, sees a tutor for 3-4 hours a week, gets extended time for writing tests and doing homework, and has to spend ridiculous amounts of time on homework as if heís studying in med school or law school! Not to mention his perfectionism had been carved by emotional and physical abuse from the parents, the latter which has recently stopped ever since I moved back into the house. We shared this with the doctor while discussing his coping strategies that help him manage ADHD at the expense of worsening anxiety and OCD.
So are you saying his peds doc doesnt think he has adhd? And wants more testing? Or did you mean the psychologist at the school didnt think he has adhd? I was just confused. I dont think you should bother anymore with the peds doc. I think he needs to see someone who specializes in adhd which would be a psychiatrist.

Quote:
The lack of sympathy from doctors is just disgusting. It breaks my heart that life can be much easier for him and the more itís delayed the more he suffers. Meanwhile his teachers at school are wondering what the heck is taking so long for the doctors to help him! Iím afraid he will first be put on antidepressants which may further increase his inattention and demoralize him. Though thatís another issue entirely, he may or may not need them in addition to the ADHD meds.
He may need antidepressants but thats why you want him to see a psychiatrist instead of a peds doctor so if thats a decision, you are dealing with someone who understands adhd as well as possible depression. Its possible to need both antidepressants and stimulants.

Quote:
I will get his teacher to write a letter that I can give to the paediatrician, highlighting the importance of treatment for ADHD. He will see her in a month. Iím just so angry that she didnít give him anything in the first meeting, we had waited patiently after getting the referral from the family doctor. I canít believe she wants to do further tests, and sheís just a family doc for kids under 18, despite extensive evaluation already done by a psychologist. She also wants him to bring his past report cards as if thatís even relevant! Sorry for the rant, just had to vent! The stigma against ADHD and especially medication is appalling. Yet antidepressants are handed out like candy.

I donít want him to crash like I did. I had gotten into a top school in Canada, McGill University, by just hyperfocusing with all-nighters and coffee/cig binging. Crashed hard and Iím still trying to recover 7 years later, only recently I began treatment for the ADHD. Life wouldíve been so much more different had it been much sooner.
Again, I cant emphasize enough why a psychiatrist is needed in this situation. Part of the stigma is because peds doctors are not experts.

I carried a watermelon?