ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-26-18, 10:44 AM

jackncoco22 is on a distinguished road
Moving to Estonia and have no idea how to get my meds

Hi everyone!

I'm new here (although I've been diagnosed with ADHD for 14 years), so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section or breaking any sort of forum etiquette.

Anyways, I'm moving to Estonia for a year or so this coming May, with my boyfriend, who is himself, Estonian. I lived there for 3 months last year, and when I presented my script for adderall at the pharmacy, they said the medication didn't even exist in the system... I came home and asked my doctor about it, and she, understandably, was unsure of the system in Estonia...

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has any information about ADHD treatment in Estonia/Europe, how I might go about finding out... etc. ANY information you can provide would be so, so appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 02-26-18, 11:39 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,617 Times in 15,105 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Estonia and have no idea how to get my meds

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9550

https://www.regionaalhaigla.ee/en/outpatient-clinic

http://eucpn.org/document/estonian-c...ivity-disorder

https://ee.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/

After much digging, this is all I could find about Estonia

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lash107 (02-28-18)
Old 02-26-18, 12:42 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,355 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Did a superficial search so as far as I can tell it requires psychaitrist to prescribe. Saw references to several "types" of MPH. Didn't see specific reference to an IP, but was time released. Also referenced Vyvanse equivalent, Atomoxetine, clonidine and guanfacine.

Sounds like you, your BF, or a local friend needs to talk to a GP type and ask for how it would be handled and a rough timetable. As for limits on bringing meds in country, you would have to talk to someone in their organization equivalent to our Customs. That should be easier to obtain via search for contact info. GL and Let Me know what you find out. -LN
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-18, 02:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

I'm not from Estonia, but from a neighboring country (Finland). I'm sorry to inform you that we don't have access to Adderall or most other amphetamines here in the EU, they have not been approved for treatment of ADHD by the EMA (EU FDA equivalent). Usually we get methylphenidate (Concerta, Ritalin etc) or atomoxetine (Vyvanse), like Little Nut pointed out. I have heard of some people getting dextroamphetamine after jumping through a lot of hoops (but never any other amphetamine or amphetamine combination) so with some luck that could be stocked in some pharmacies if you can get a prescription for it instead.

If you are moving to Estonia for good it's probably not viable for you to ship your meds from the US to Estonia even if you were technically allowed to (which I'm not sure you would be). Customs would likely be confused and end up seizing them a lot and having you come in to explain yourself since Adderall is not prescribable here.
The Following User Says Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-27-18)
Old 02-26-18, 03:25 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,617 Times in 15,105 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

One of my links was to the US Embassy where if they cant answer your question- they will know who can.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 02-27-18, 12:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

Does it mean I can't fly to UK once a month for a dex and live daily in EU on that ?
Old 02-27-18, 01:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,107 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future

Yeah, in a huge number of countries amphetamines are not available, but methylphenidate is, really don't get why though, they seem pharmaceutically very similar
Old 07-15-18, 10:52 PM

Oceola is on a distinguished road

I life in this rather terrible country and all I've been able to get for my ADD is SSRI antidepressants
(which obviously made matters worse).

Amphetamines are politically incorrect, so even the diagnosis is politically incorrect, at least for adults. I don't think adult ADD diagnoses have happened in this country at all, or they are single digit cases of influential or very endearing people.

Westerners are looked up to here, so having an existing Western-country diagnosis and prescription CAN make things A LOT smoother. Unregistered drugs can be imported to a pharmacy from a distributor at the request of a doctor, that should include amphetamines; a doc will never file such a request for a local, but may well do it for a foreigner with an existing, foreign diagnosis.

Prescribed drugs can also be imported on a flight with you in very limited quantity, but make bloody sure you carry a prescription or a doctor's *official* note about this. Locals have done jail time for one benzo sleeping pill in handbag when returning from abroad, not sure if they treat foreigners that bad... probably not.

Last edited by Oceola; 07-15-18 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: language
Old 08-21-18, 04:46 PM

warmbrew_991 is on a distinguished road

Honestly you should have prepared for this knowing you're going to a foreign country... adderall is pretty much impossible to get anywhere other than America for a start, even in the UK so if you're moving abroad keep that specifically in mind

I'd imagine they prescribe Methylphenidate but in many Eastern European countries the process to get diagnosed can be difficult. I have heard that in some EE countries, the doctors highly respect the diagnosis of doctors from America/UK etc. so it might not be too difficult to get diagnosed again.

http://elf.ee/ath/diagnoosimine-ja-ravi/