ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-15, 07:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

Abcdef is a jewel in the roughAbcdef is a jewel in the roughAbcdef is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Diet and ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post
Thanks for the congrats. It continues to blow my mind in the best of ways.

Makes my belly hurt just thinking about a green or yellow banana. I used to eat them right after they turned yellow. Spots all the way, now, baby. No wonder peeps get sick from the bananas, hardly anyone allows them to get to the proper level of ripeness.

Peeps also try to do way too much too soon when they start different diets or so called detoxes, etc. and end up making themselves miserable and sick, then blame the fruits and veggies. It's a vicious cycle with so much to learn. It doesn't suit our desire to attain a quick fix with little effort.

Done wisely, intuitively, slowly, and with the only intent being improved overall health, nutritional transformation can rock your f'n world. Or not. Mileage varies, as with everything else. But it has to be an entire lifestyle transformation, not just adding a few things here and there and then discounting an entire process.

But first, we have to be okay with unlearning what we think we already know. And that's the part where we tend to get, and remain, in our own way.

A year ago, I would have told folks they were f'n nuts if they said I'd be eating this way now. I likely would have been chowing down on a big ol' rib-eye or hamburger steak and gravy, with mashed potatoes loaded with butter and some milk and some more gravy, and washing it down with a cold beer in the tall giant glass, or sweet tea, or a soda.

Then experiencing digestive hell afterward, but not realizing what exactly was happening within my innards. Now that I know better, and feel so much better, I have to do better. My body lets me clearly know, especially now that I've cleaned out more debris and can listen more intently. Best of luck if/when you decide to embark on a nutritional adventure.
Thanks for this insightful info, you are seriously making me consider it again

One of my main worries is not getting enough protein-I go to the gym. However, I see there is hemp protein shakes, they look like swamp water and supposedly taste as bad as they look though lol

The lack of availability of food on the go could cause problems, but a packed lunch would solve that I guess.

Eating out- I love pizza without cheese! A lactose intolerant friend introduced me to them a while ago....you can actually taste the toppings!

I think I'm talking myself into it lol

It's going to take a bit of planning before I give it a go, but I've nothing to lose and much to gain.

I would be purely doing it for the health benefits, I'm not interested in the politics behind it.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Abcdef For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (10-25-15)
Old 08-16-16, 05:27 PM

SpeedyRabbit05 is on a distinguished road
Re: Diet and ADHD

What do you guys think about this theory on ADHD and diet?
Sorry, kind of a long read!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...195728848b.jpg

Last edited by midnightstar; 08-16-16 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: fixing link
Old 08-17-16, 01:58 AM
Contributor

TheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyRabbit05 View Post
What do you guys think about this theory on ADHD and diet?
Sorry, kind of a long read!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...195728848b.jpg

Nonsense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheFitFatty For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-17-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-17, 03:17 AM

weswes is on a distinguished road

Since following the recommended ADHD diet and vitamin supplements, b vitamins (all of them including niacine) - zinc- vitamin c, I have found my ADHD is much easier to manage.

I have found that I can concentrate almost as much as I could when I was on stimulants without so many of the negative effects associated with them.

I start my morning with a protein shake and my vitamins. I try not to deviate from this because it has been so helpful.

It is not a cure by any means, but it has helped me a whole lot.

I wish the best for you all.
The Following User Says Thank You to weswes For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (04-30-17)
Old 04-30-17, 04:13 AM

Shockcar is on a distinguished road

I like eating snacks with health benefits. I recently started eating macadamia nuts because they have many health benefits.
Old 04-30-17, 07:24 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,578 Times in 15,085 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

A good diet is good for everyone, not just people with adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-27-17, 05:55 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Reading about how some people feel they're looked at like oddballs cause they're vegan was a surprise to me. Think I've really been sheltered in my liberal city where the general reaction is whatever floats your boat.

I'm on a low carb diet. Well not even as low as atkins but I try to stick to less than 100 grams of carbs a day including fiber so it turns out to be somewhere between 50 to 80 non - fiber carbs a day.

I tried to be vegan but that just doesn't work for me cause I cook for someone else who just loves seafood. So then i tried to limit myself to just seafood being the only meat I eat but that didn't turn o too well either cause I find cooking my own meals most of the time to cut on expenses means I need to have some premade frozen dinners. Almost all the premade frozen dinners I like that are low carb all have meat or dairy in them. So now I just limit my meat intake, eating mostly seafood when I eat meat but sometimes other meat as well. Social events are when I end up eating the most meat and carbs. I used to feel guilty about it but I've decided not to.

I use fitness pal to track my diet. It said I don't get enough iron or b 12 so I started taking supplements.

No diet has ever made my adhd better. But I have lost over 10 lbs very easily with low carbs. I didn't even reduce calories, just the proportion of carbs. I didn't exercise more either so it was all about the csrbs.
Old 07-14-17, 07:41 PM

hutchie0109 is on a distinguished road

Anyone tried the Eat right for your blood type, or Paleo Mediterranean diet? I went to extreme on that one cutting ou all carbs/sugar for 2 weeks.

I see Adhd as a possible hindrance to diets, with the organising part to it, good when it's an hyperfocus.
Old 02-27-18, 08:07 AM

Shockcar is on a distinguished road

Does anyone ever use flaxseeds?
Old 02-27-18, 08:21 AM

Thanked 21,510 Times in 11,540 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockcar View Post
I do. But never whole as they do not digest. Ground. Ground golden flax.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (02-27-18)
Old 02-27-18, 10:35 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,792 Times in 8,903 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I use flax meal mixed with water as an egg replacement in baking (1 tbsp. of flax meal and 3 tbsp water per egg), add ground flax seed to my juice pulp flat bread/cracker recipes, toss some in while making veggie/bean "burgers", and toss some in when making frozen banana smoothies/nice cream some mornings, often along with cha-cha-cha-chia seeds.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-27-18), Little Missy (02-27-18)
Old 02-27-18, 05:49 PM

Thanked 30,353 Times in 13,987 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post
I use flax meal mixed with water as an egg replacement in baking (1 tbsp. of flax meal and 3 tbsp water per egg), add ground flax seed to my juice pulp flat bread/cracker recipes, toss some in while making veggie/bean "burgers", and toss some in when making frozen banana smoothies/nice cream some mornings, often along with cha-cha-cha-chia seeds.
Does this really work as an egg like binder?what a fantastic tip.i almost always have got flax seeds at home.

So just to make sure I understand this correctly:you mix one tbsp of flaxseed powder with three tbsp of water?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (02-27-18)
Old 02-27-18, 05:51 PM

Thanked 30,353 Times in 13,987 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockcar View Post
I used to. I used to sprinkle a tbsp or two of flax seed powder on my cereals every morning. It's great. It tastes like powdered mud but it keeps you full and energetic for quite a long time.

I'd like to start again but I need to first grind some more, which probably means I will never have any flax ever again
Old 02-27-18, 06:41 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,792 Times in 8,903 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Does this really work as an egg like binder?what a fantastic tip.i almost always have got flax seeds at home.

So just to make sure I understand this correctly:you mix one tbsp of flaxseed powder with three tbsp of water?
Yep...you've got it.

I like to let it set and "gel" for about an hour before using it.....or if I'm in a hurry, at least get it ready first and let it set while I'm gathering the other stuff.

So far, so good for what little I've used it in. (juice pulp flat breads/cookies/pancakes/lentil eat loaf/veggie burgers/vegan cornbread/and that's all I can remember right now)

The flax meal adds brown specs to whatever it is...most especially the lighter colored foods, so if that would bother you, you might not want to go there.

Happy baking, and substituting! Always a damn adventure. lol

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
Old 07-12-18, 03:12 AM

Damion is on a distinguished road

In my diet routine i eat eggs for breakfast, something small to munch on for lunch and some kind of a healthy dinner...