ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-18, 11:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

Emcon456 is on a distinguished road
I don't have a creative outlet, how do I find one that fits me

Sometimes I journal but only once a month. I use to almost everyday in the beginning of the summer to jot down my thoughts/ideas of my weight loss regiment and chicks.

Also this is an off question but does ADD medicine ruin creativity? This is something I've heard and I think its true. I organize,etc but I notice I can't create something original that is freely from my own imagination when I'm on medicine. Its weird to describe. Its like a dull sensation that only keeps me driven to do what I'm suppose to do to keep up with life or even get slightly ahead. But whatevs lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Emcon456 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (02-28-18)
Old 02-28-18, 12:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,107 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future
Re: I don't have a creative outlet, how do I find one that fits me

The effects of ADHD meds really do vary a lot from person to person, I actually find I can be more creative.

In terms of finding an outlet, a good place to start is trying to find what creative works made by others you enjoy most, then try that.
Old 02-28-18, 01:23 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,371 Times in 7,648 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

I say try many things!
Are you good at sticking with things?
I suck at sticking with things haha. I get REALLY into something, start getting better at it...then quit. All my excitement and enjoyment just gone...and then I'm ready to move on to the next thing without ever looking back.
I wish I could stick to things. I think I could get pretty decent at some of these things if only I wouldn't lose interest in them and continue to practice.

But yeah...I'm a bit of a hobby collector. I'm going to leave a list of some of the (creative) hobbies I've tried to maybe spark up some ideas you might want to try.

-Learn to play a harmonica
-To play the guitar
-Piano
-Recorder
-Creating webpages with HTML
-Learning to draw
-Learning new board games/miniature war games/trading card games
-Gardening
-Collecting rocks from places I visit
-Yo-Yoing (surprisingly fun!!)
-Journaling
-Blogging
-Photography
-Painting miniature models
-Coloring (with adult coloring books)
-Wrecking This Journal (by Keri Smith, available at Amazon, etc.)...OMG this was SO much fun!!!)
-Collecting coins
-Learning how to use a photo editing program (such as photoshop)

I really enjoyed doing everything above...and I could keep the list going...it's just dang! I never stick with them .

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Last edited by namazu; 02-28-18 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: Removed link to Amazon, per ADDF guidelines.
The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
kwalk (02-28-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-18, 02:27 AM

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Officially I think the studies suggest that adhd meds do not stifle creativity. But I swear there have been a number of adhders who have said the exact opposite and I trend to believe that it can happen for some. Maybe the tests just showed the average so it doesn't happen often but it does happen sometimes? Also, I get the feeling a lot of adhders have low self-esteem and don't recognize their own creativity so the studies don't pick up the whole truth.

I agree with others about just trying a bunch of hobbies. Though I'd pick things that arent too expensive to try.
Old 02-28-18, 07:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

Kaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to all

I experience even more freedom in being creative with the meds. At least once i get myself started :roll eyes:

To find your passion, it can be of help to recall what situations made you feel most happy. It can be very small or subtle things. Then brainstorm (without holding back on what's possible or not!) on what you could do to get that feeling back. In my experience, there will be one or more common threads popping out, leading to creative ideas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
kwalk (02-28-18)
Old 02-28-18, 08:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

Emcon456 is on a distinguished road

Do you know how I can change my username?
Old 02-28-18, 10:12 AM

Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,107 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
-Coloring (with adult coloring books)
Just how adult exactly....

Quote:
User CP link on top right of the page

Last edited by sighduck; 02-28-18 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: adding quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sighduck For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (02-28-18), userguide (03-01-18)
Old 02-28-18, 08:28 PM

psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighduck View Post
Just how adult exactly....

No No! Not like THAT!

There's coloring books with intricate designs and things to color that are designed for an older audiance then kids to color.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 02-28-18, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcctUhd456 View Post
I don't think we can ourselves. I think you have to contact one of the administrators to do so. I don't see them around much, but I think they check in periodically to check their private messages and such.

Here's 2 of them. I'd try Andi first, then Andrew if she doesn't respond after a few days.

ANDI

ANDREW

There's also DAVID...but I'm not so sure he checks these forums very often any more .

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 02-28-18, 10:43 PM

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
I'm going to leave a list of some of the (creative) hobbies I've tried to maybe spark up some ideas you might want to try.

-Learning new board games/miniature war games/trading card games
Just curious, what Trading Card Game did you try at the time?
The Following User Says Thank You to Monox D. I-Fly For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (02-28-18)
Old 02-28-18, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly View Post
Just curious, what Trading Card Game did you try at the time?
I've played a ton of them...only held on to a couple.
Magic the gathering is my goto game. Every couple of years I jump back into the game where I play it obsessively.

There's also yu-gi-oh which I me and my friends played for years. haha we're all 30+ years old, but we don't care! We'd often meet up at local restraunts and get some games going. People would often look at us funny, or even come up to us and ask what we were doing. We had no shame and it was great!

I got into pokemon briefly...I really do like the game, it's just I couldn't get any of my friends into it with me so I gave up on it.

Chaotic was a surprisingly fun game...though short lived. Each of the physical cards had a code on it you entered online so you could play them online. I had a really nice deck with tons of the top cards in it I was proud as heck of.

My second favorite game of all time is The Lord Of The Rings tcg. Man that game was amazing! I was a young teen when it was around, and I met a college professor and a college student who played it...we'd often order a pizza and meet up at the college to play some games. It was great!

Oh and another I loved was a game called VS. System. Man that game was amazing!

Then there's a bunch of other smaller, lesser known games I've tried out over the years. I don't know what it is...but I LOVE trading card games.

1 game I'd LOVE to get into, but never found anyone to teach me around here...is Legend Of The Five Rings.

Sorry for the long post haha. I could talk about TCG's all night!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 03-01-18, 01:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

psycho, you should get a gamemaster job at a local club, it really turns you on.
Old 03-01-18, 06:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,567 Times in 15,079 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Finger paint. I do not mean the kind you did in second grade. Go to Michael's or a craft store. buy some tubes of acrylic paint and some of those pre-fab canvas boards. Use your fingers like they were brushes and have at it. If you make a mistake you can always paint over it with a darker color and acrylic paint dries really quick. It doesnt matter what you paint. It could be lines, stripes, shapes or drips, just try it.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-01-18), psychopathetic (03-01-18)
Old 03-01-18, 08:48 AM

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 03-01-18, 01:22 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,567 Times in 15,079 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Commercial Photography

This is the coloring book Im currently working on.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (03-01-18)