ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-18, 05:52 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,572 Times in 15,082 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Ella is scared about moving on to biologics for her psoriasis.

I put this in parenting because it concerns Ella my 14 year old. She has horrible plaque psoriasis. She has had it since she was little but we didnt know what it was until middle school. We have been seeing the dermatologist for nearly 3 years. We have tried every topical cream, oil, solution and shampoo they have. She has been getting injections in her head once a month for almost 1.5 years. We did the UV laser treatment which cost a ton for 16 weeks. All with little to no improvemen. Its on her scalp and it gets awful. Its an autoimmune disease so its not simply a cosmetic issue. The NP said at this point there was little life left in the injections because the scalp skin was thinning in certain spots.

She set us up to see the doctor that oversees severe cases and handles the "biologics" (medicines that interupt the immune system to fight the psoriasis). Stuff like what you might have seen a commercial for- humira, stelaro, etc,

The doctor had to tell us every damn possible risk no matter how rare, and she heard "lymphoma (like .001%) and imunne system weakeness and other stuff like that.

When we got back to the car she was crying she is afraid of those side effects and is not on board right now with tryng it. Its 40,000$ and the insurance will take about a month or month and a half to approve it, and I have to take her for blood work first.

UNtreated psoriasis carries its own life changing risks and I told her about them. I told her I would print out info about biologics so she could make an informed decision.

Has anyone here tried them? She has one of the most severe cases the practive has ever seen. I do not want her to think its purely cosmetic. I want her to realize the risks associated with untreated psoriasis. I want her self esteem to be better of course, but I dont want her to end up with debilitating issues because she is scared.The biologics are injectables but they are preloaded almost like a stamp. She would get one in the office, a month later 1 at home and every 12 weeks at home. Its like a stamp that goes into the thigh. Thats scaring her too. But this girl has been getting injections all over her head for neary two years!

Anyone with insight for me?

I carried a watermelon?