ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-18, 04:51 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,276 Times in 7,101 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
How to handle a member I don't like in a therapy group?

Long story short...I'm part of an intense group that meets 3 times a week for 2 hour sessions. It only started a couple of months ago, but already there's been a "core" built. The members that show up everyday...and we've bonded quite well already and things have been going great.

But then we got a new guy on monday. And I just don't like him. I can go on and on about it...but he's just a very angry, loud, rude, scrappy guy.
My intuition is screaming loud and clear not to put any trust in him.
Plus he keeps patting me on the back like we're buddies or something...but I can't stand being touched...especially by men I don't like.

I'm not sure what to do? I don't want to bring it up in group in front of him...because once it's said, it can't be unsaid, and it'll just make the 2 of us REAL uncomfortable in the group from that point on.
Plus I'm having a real hard time determining if any of the other members are feeling the same way about it.

But I've just been sitting there in group this week...bored...quiet...and angry. There's all this tension, and this guy keeps blurting things out and he so often acts like he knows what he's talking about...when the words he speaks are way off. Or he keeps loudly giving examples of things he's been through...that have NOTHING to do with the topic we're talking about, and it's just like...wtf dude? Stop wasting our time man.

Maybe he'll stop coming on his own after another week or 2? Maybe not.
Maybe I'm way off about him and will grow to trust him/like him in the future?
Something's gotta happen though. I'm not sure I can remain committed to this group if something doesn't change.

I'm just mainly typing this all out to vent.

Any opinions though? Should I confront him about this? I'm not physically afraid of him or anything.
Should I go behind his back and ask the other members what they think of him? Should I be honest with them and let them know I don't like him a bit?
I think I'll talk to one of the people who run the group and see what they have to say.

haha, and I was going to keep this post short.
Well...so much for that idea!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-09-18), Kaia.S (03-08-18), midnightstar (03-08-18)