ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 02-10-18, 07:12 AM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light
I no longer care about being in a relationship

Having lost all ability to relate with anyone, I avoid all social interactions with people and get easily annoyed when I'm interacting with them, it's gotten to the point where I also get physically ill whenever I am in large crowds or driving with a lot of other people on the roads. I just want to become a survivalist and completely withdraw from society, you all can have that rotting corpse, its yours.

Have I become a psychopath? Or have I finally had enough with being taken advantage of and no longer allow myself to succumb to abuse? Regardless something is changing inside of me for better or for worse, all I know is I'm no longer the same person I was.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd_ For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-10-18), daveddd (03-08-18), DeClutter (02-10-18), kwalk (02-12-18), Lunacie (03-09-18), mrzyphl (02-10-18), psychopathetic (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 07:53 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,000 Times in 14,796 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I no longer care about being in a relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd_ View Post
Having lost all ability to relate with anyone, I avoid all social interactions with people and get easily annoyed when I'm interacting with them, it's gotten to the point where I also get physically ill whenever I am in large crowds or driving with a lot of other people on the roads. I just want to become a survivalist and completely withdraw from society, you all can have that rotting corpse, its yours.

Have I become a psychopath? Or have I finally had enough with being taken advantage of and no longer allow myself to succumb to abuse? Regardless something is changing inside of me for better or for worse, all I know is I'm no longer the same person I was.
Hey Lloyd, its been awhile since Ive seen you post so welcome back. I remember the struggles you have shared with wanting or talking about wanting a relationship with someone romatically and I also remember that sometimes your idea of what women wanted or expected didnt match up with what some other people tried to share. With that said, if you truly are just done with people and you know your mental health is well, then its perfectly fine to want a life of solitude. Call it the Jedi lifestyle or maybe even like Thoreau when he went away to the woods- if that makes you happy then go for it.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame,

give me truth.

Our life is frittered away by detail....simplify, simplify.

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation".

H. Thoreau

I think its important to make this choice cause you want to not as some sort of resigned protest to lack of relationships or out of anger.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-10-18), DeClutter (02-10-18), FlipperTheWhale (02-10-18), Lunacie (03-09-18), psychopathetic (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 08:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold

Hey Lloyd,

I don't know what brought you to this point, there can be many valid reasons for a person to withdraw and prefer a life of solitude.

With all the extra bagagge that most people on this board drag along, opening up to relationships can be twice as hard, and often we have to try a lot harder to maintain them.

Trying to fit in, to function in a "normal" way can be exhausting. And when you meet people who have little understanding of your struggles, or even take advantage of you, you can reach a point where you have nothing left to give. Ironically, relationships can sometimes lead us to abandon ourselves, and when that goes on long enough, there is no "social" energy left in us.

Perhaps isolating yourself is not always a bad thing, but an opportunity to refocus your life on the relationship with yourself. Were you can make room to become your own best friend.

Last edited by DeClutter; 02-10-18 at 09:05 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeClutter For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-10-18), kwalk (02-12-18), Lunacie (03-09-18), psychopathetic (02-10-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-18, 10:57 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,352 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:

Hi Lloyd, Do you still enjoy your routine activities when you are alone? Do you still enjoy driving or getting to where you are going when the roads are empty? Is it performing your tasks is burdensome enough and when you add-in people interactions it is even MORE burdensome? -LN
Old 03-02-18, 03:45 PM

Simon_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wow, that sounds exactly like me. Are you on medication for add by chance?

Any relationship is off-putting, if not down right impossible for me. My life is going down hill fast, I'm not inclined to take anyone along for the ride.
Old 03-08-18, 04:02 AM
Jr Member

freshish is on a distinguished road

I also have that struggle since my ex boyfriend split up with me. However, I assure you, you are not a psychopath.
Old 03-08-18, 07:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

loyd buddy, how u doin

it could be the hurt and alienation of attempted interaction has driven to avoidance

IF this is the case, there is no self help

you must get more intense psychiatric help

If this was something you are just ok with, well, it doesnt come off that way

speaking from experience

Dave D
aeon (03-08-18), Little Missy (03-11-18)
Old 03-09-18, 12:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

Oddly enough I find myself in the same position lately, having just left a new job I started in September, having felt exploited and abused. I did feel as though I had abandoned myself, because I wasn't eating properly or sleeping.
I too am in my 60's and do a lot of thinking back. I'm not socializing either because it's often so damn difficult and so much work, and for me it's not unusual to feel bullied or taken advantage of in some way when I do attempt to. So I'm down to one close friend with whom I feel completely safe and at ease. I am also starting to take better care of myself now that I have left that job.
Old 03-09-18, 09:13 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,000 Times in 14,796 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesandro1 View Post
I too am in my 60's and do a lot of thinking back. I'm not socializing either because it's often so damn difficult and so much work, and for me it's not unusual to feel bullied or taken advantage of in some way when I do attempt to.
I think its seriously, really important to take a look at what happens that makes you a target or victim of bullying or being taken advantage from. It doesnt matter if you live a life of solitude forever, finding out why that is will open a lot of doors that have remained shut.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-10-18, 10:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

I agree it is important to know, and I do. Not much I can do about it