ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should politics remain in Debates
Close Debates 1 5.26%
Keep debates open and REMOVE political discussion 10 52.63%
Keep debates open and MAINTAIN political discussion 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-18, 11:29 AM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,048 Times in 2,501 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Politics at ADDF

I'm still thinking this through as solid points have been made and it is clear that many of us are on the fence and unsure on which side of the coin we should be as there are a few that voted and then wished they could change their vote. I believe Namazu suggested a fair compromise that we would only discuss politics or government agencies in regards to treatment/healthcare, medication, and for me, perhaps the legalization of marijuana. It is difficult to discuss finding help for disorders without pointing out the bureaucracy of the journey.

As indicated previously, the conversations tied to politicians and political climates or perhaps exit strategies for nations, really aren't a subject that should be managed here. I do understand that politics may burden our lives and cause anxiety that may interfere with our health and for some it's better to discuss, for others to discuss causes more anxiety, especially when you find that you may differ so greatly from others or your friends are in conflict with your views. I have considered another private forum for just politics but I'm afraid that will still find itself spilling out into other areas of the forum due to the onslaught of insults and rhetoric. It also doesn't prevent the nation bashing that we tend to see from some members. For the time being there will be a moratorium on political discussion in Debates while I work with staff to build a new guideline or approach to the issue. Thanks

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Andi For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (08-27-18), Greyhound1 (08-30-18), Lunacie (08-27-18), mctavish23 (08-30-18), midnightstar (08-27-18), namazu (08-30-18), peripatetic (08-27-18), stef (08-27-18), tudorose (08-28-18)
Old 08-30-18, 10:33 AM

Thanked 10,187 Times in 3,203 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

Andi,

Excellent points as always

Your legalization remarks also reminded me of that "classic" segment from

Cheech & Chong's 1st album, on the same subject

"And now for a public service announcement on the legalization of marijuana,

from Ashley Roachclip, of the Jefferson Hairpie:"

"Take it away Mr. Roachclip."

"Uh, Mr. Roachclip?"

"Huh?" "Oh yeah, man."

"So like I just wanna say, like, um, oh yeah."

"Yeah, I just wanna say that all of you who don't believe in the legalization of

pot man, well you're all F'D!"

UR Welcome
Old 10-01-18, 03:58 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Politics is a very debatable subject as is religion. If I remember right the entire reason for having the debate section private is so members could discuss any topic they want without restriction. Like is full of uncomfortable awakward subjects that cause friction.

People have forgotten that disagreement even passionate disagreement can be done in a respectful manner. It seems that even those who do not have ADD struggle with their emotional control. Opinions have become fact because US laws no longer force opinions to be separated from factual news. Now more than ever ADDer need to learn how to distinguish between the two.

I just looked over a thread about spanking which turned heated. Neither politics or religion was part of the discussion but it still turned so heated that the thing had to be closed

People every where argue about all sort of things. Much like a facebook meme suggest with a picture of a rock suggesting people will argue about any thing - including a rock. Okay I tried to debate the face it was half a rock

People are going to fuss and fight. Having a place to learn how to disagree without being disagreeable is an asset to any community. Lacking this ability is why the US social climate has become such as an political or religious opinion can ruin friendships and tear apart families.

While there are places where hot button topics should be avoided such as work. Every society should develop within it a safe place where difficult topics can be discussed. ADDers need a place to learn how to handle different opinions without loosing their head, as a group we need to have a safge place for difficult topic that effect all our lives to be discussed openly but respectfully.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (10-02-18), Fuzzy12 (10-01-18), Lunacie (10-01-18), stef (10-01-18)
Sponsored Links