ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 09-06-18, 01:49 PM

Budkeiser is on a distinguished road
Sharing possible dx with patient…or not

I found something new after my most recent visit (also our last visit as he has moved on). I have always collected my record after every medical visit regardless of provider. I am surprised to read a "rule out" included in the dx. Since he is just a prescriber of medication, we never carried much of a conversation about anything personal. Just a few yes/no questions and out the door. I was not aware he was considering a condition, especially since he was just a prescriber. – "rule out" = possible dx, for those who need translation.

Do prescribers typically do that? Shouldn't a provider share a working theory of a condition you may have? (eg "I think you may be lactose intolerant", "I think you may be dehydrated", "I think you may have uveitis", "I think you may have yadda yadda", etc…). If I had never obtained my record, I would never had discovered the speculative idea. I am not even sure what to do with this new information or why it was on the radar.
namazu (09-06-18), Tetrahedra (09-08-18)
Old 09-06-18, 01:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

BrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the rough
Re: Sharing possible dx with patient…or not

A lot of times doctors don’t say anything so they don’t stress the patient out, I’m sure he would have told you if you had the condition.

On Adderall for ADHD, lyrica for Fibromyalgia, lexapro and viibryd for depression and anxiety, cosentyx for psoriasis, cyclosporine for IC,
The Following User Says Thank You to BrandyDW For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (09-11-18)
Old 09-06-18, 06:12 PM

It’s left at “rule out”, meaning it’s a possibility dx to consider, but has not yet been eliminated.
Old 09-07-18, 01:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

Doctors often put things into their notes that don't need to be immediately shared with their patient. If he/she shared every possibility with the patient, it seems to me that would be irresponsible. Usually notes are just the doc's way of reminding him/herself at a later time what might be important (or not). I know I've had some lab results that were outside the normal range, but not "off" enough to diagnose with it. It's not unusual for doctors to not share it with the patient until they are sure of a diagnosis.
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
ToneTone (09-08-18)
Old 09-07-18, 11:21 PM

I guess I should ignore it. If it’s important, someone else will discover it too. If there would have been a dx, he probably would have told my doctor or me so we could look into it.
Typically I can see all my lab results online. Some are occasionally out of range. They would leave the dx to my doctor.
I have had other providers leave notes for the doctor if they speculated something. Then my doctor & I discussed a plan to make a dx. This was like getting the horse before the cart, but leaving in the middle of it & not telling anyone.
namazu (09-08-18)
Old 09-08-18, 02:54 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

IME, psychiatrists tend to keep possible diagnoses to themselves. I think perhaps psychiatrists don't want the patients to overanalyze things and get themselves all stressed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
carrythestars (10-05-18), ToneTone (09-08-18)