ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Other Creative Endeavors
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-18, 09:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of light
Any musicians here?

Was wondering if there are any other musicians on here, and whether ADHD impacts that at all.

I've found that my abstract concept of time dovetailed very nicely with my musical ventures...lol

Daniel

I cease trying to be perfect, and instead stay faithful to my psychological and spiritual practice. - Dr. David Richo

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

DG
The Following User Says Thank You to DanielGM1970 For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (09-07-18)
Old 09-05-18, 10:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,638 Times in 5,750 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any musicians here?

Use to play guitar but I have no time anymore to play.haven't touched a guitar in about 5 years
Old 09-07-18, 11:01 AM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

As with most things, I have played just about every instrument out there at once time or another, got fairly proficient at them, but never had the focus or patience on to excel at any of them. I have the ear though, was even told by a classically trained college music theory professor that I had one of the best ears for music he's ever encountered. I just can't seem to motivate myself to stick with am instrument long enough to get good enough to express the insane musical thoughts pouring out of my head. It's frustrating...
acdc01 (09-07-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-18, 11:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky1 View Post
As with most things, I have played just about every instrument out there at once time or another, got fairly proficient at them, but never had the focus or patience on to excel at any of them. I have the ear though, was even told by a classically trained college music theory professor that I had one of the best ears for music he's ever encountered. I just can't seem to motivate myself to stick with am instrument long enough to get good enough to express the insane musical thoughts pouring out of my head. It's frustrating...
I feel ya. In a previous life I made a serious effort to make it as a professional musician (ok, to be honest, I was trying to be a rock star! lol), and the ADHD definitely got in the way of working on my craft. I started on the drums and had a really hard time sticking to the drills needed to take my playing to the next level, and I had a bad habit of both speeding up and stopping in the middle of songs if I made a mistake. Then when I switched to voice, I did a little better but again maintaining a regular practice schedule was impossible.

What the ADHD did help with was the "flow" of creativity, but when I fronted a fantastic band in college (back around '94 or so), I got fired because I couldn't make it to practice on time, one of the great regrets of my life.

My daughters roll their eyes when I use this story to teach them to be on time, because they've heard it so often, lol, but it did teach me to be on time for things!!!

D.

I cease trying to be perfect, and instead stay faithful to my psychological and spiritual practice. - Dr. David Richo

DG
Old 09-07-18, 01:17 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I've spent most of my life dreaming about being a professional musician. Even in my adulthood, going to concerts and live shows is one of my favorite things to do, and actually has proven to be very therapeutic for me.

I still have a couple of guitars, and my drum set, and every now and then I find the motivation to play around on them, and I've even tried to get a regular practice schedule going, but life always happens, ADHD always happens, and it always ends up tossed to the way side. I did spend about 12 years as a semi-professional EDM dj, back before it was an acceptable mainstream style of music. Granted, I was playing other people's music, but as far as the mixing wet I was told I was one of the best around this area by several people. Unfortunately, the ADHD stepped in, and as would be expected I had a terrible time making and maintaining friendships with the people who were involved in booking these events, so I didn't really get a chance to play out as often as I would have liked.
Old 09-07-18, 06:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,934 Times in 13,821 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish. I started learning several instruments. The flute, the violin and the piano but the only one I've really stuck with is the piano. And by this I mean that every few years or so I play the piano for a few months a couple of hours a day and then go back to not playing at all. I used to be fairly good at learning to play new instruments quickly but I suck at sticking with anything. I haven't played the piano in two years now.

I also love buying new instruments (even if cheap ones). At the time of purchase i get excitrd avoutlewrningto plays new instruments but I never follow through. Often I don't even play the instrument once after I've bought it. Apart from a million pan flutes and a few recorders the more notable instruments I've bought are a steel flute, a strange Indian instrument that I know nothing about and the bag pipes (which is surprisingly hard to.play. I barely got a sound out so got bored in ten minutes).

My problem is that when I try to get back into playing because I haven't played for so long Im Not fluent anymore and I get too frustrated to continue playing. Besides I've got a never ending to do list (that I barely ever get started on) so I mostly feel too guilty about spending time on other things.

Right now though I'm so desperate to start playing again that I'm considering cutting down on my hours at work.

I have something that I call flow too though it's different to how you mean ithink. Every few years when I get fairly proficient again I tend to lose myself in the music and in the process of playing and there's nothing that feels better.

Another thing that hold some back is that I can't keep time for the life of me. I've got no sense of rhythm and without being able to keep time I think I'll never be a great pianist or any other musician.

I'm rambling..apologies for the long post.
Old 09-08-18, 09:10 PM
Contributor

I can relate to all of that, Fuzzy. The frustration at having to re-learn is probably the single biggest hindrance to becoming proficient in playing anything. Props on actually learning the piano though, that's one I've always wanted to master, even tried to learn several times both on my own and through professional instruction, but I just don't have the patience to do it.
Old 09-08-18, 11:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

I was tortured with years of piano lessons and wish I had stuck with it, as I'm sure many of us have.

I tell people I'm "not a real musician" because I'm a singer and a drummer, lol. The easy stuff.

D.

DG
Old 09-08-18, 11:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

In all seriousness, it just struck me that drums and singing were perfect for someone with ADHD because they take the least amount of practice and drilling once you get to a certain level of proficiency. You can just play and goof off and it still sounds pretty good.

As a teenager the drums were a great way to vent a lot of frustration!

My mom blessed me with a good voice, and I've passed that on to my daughters, at least the oldest one so far.

D.

DG