ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-18, 03:04 PM

Srjs28 is on a distinguished road
Increased Dopamine

Since ADHD drugs generally just concentrate dopamine, which medications actually increase dopamine in the system? I asked this because I am overwhelmingly depressed for some reason. I canít shake it. I am worrying and have anxiety about everything as well. I canít get into see my doc until October 30th. So I was looking for options for me to research.
Besides work I have been in bed 90% of the time since last Tuesday
Old 09-08-18, 04:21 PM

benito is on a distinguished road
Re: Increased Dopamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srjs28 View Post
Since ADHD drugs generally just concentrate dopamine, which medications actually increase dopamine in the system? I asked this because I am overwhelmingly depressed for some reason. I canít shake it. I am worrying and have anxiety about everything as well. I canít get into see my doc until October 30th. So I was looking for options for me to research.
Besides work I have been in bed 90% of the time since last Tuesday

I regret your situation. What medications are you taking right now?

My meds

Morning: Vyvanse 30mg and effexor xr 150mg

night: effexor xr 150mg, lamictal 100mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 100mg and clonazepam 0.5mg
Old 09-08-18, 04:39 PM

I am currently taking
Adderall, Celebrex, cymbalta, strattera, amlodipine.
Just currently coming off of Xanax, abilify and buspar
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-18, 04:48 PM

Do you think it may be because of the withdrawal of abilify, xanax and buspar?? are you sad, irritable and/or want to cry?

My meds

night: effexor xr 150mg, lamictal 100mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 100mg and clonazepam 0.5mg
Old 09-08-18, 05:25 PM

All I want to do as of lately is just lay down , fall asleep and forget about life. I do have moments of when I could just break down.
The 3 meds were all tapered off separately in a matter of about 3 months. It’s just as of lately my depression is at an all time high. I have so much on my plate I can’t handle it.
Old 09-08-18, 10:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Since ADHD drugs generally just concentrate dopamine, which medications actually increase dopamine in the system?
I'm a bit confused about your question/statement. What do you mean by "concentrate dopamine" and "in the system?"

ADHD drugs have their therapeutic effect probably through dopamine and norepinephrine.

Are you trying to say that you think a dopamine-boosting drug will help your depression? I'm not sure it works that way. Otherwise people would just take Parkinson's medication for depression.
Old 09-08-18, 11:12 PM

I guess I thought that a med that would boost dopamine in your system would have a positive effect on depression. I am wrong in my thoughts? I googled meds that increase dopamine and it says that ADHD meds only concentrate dopamine and not necessarily will boost dopamine levels. That is where I was getting that from. I always thought that stimulants would increase your dopamine levels but looks like you are correct in saying that Parkinsons meds would have that effect. Looks like I to am confused. Mainly my thoughts for asking the question. Or is it an SSRI med that I am looking for?
Old 09-09-18, 12:32 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Again, I'm still confused by "concentrate" versus "boost" the dopamine. Are you thinking about dopamine releasing agents (amphetamine) versus dopamine reuptake inhibitors (Ritalin)?

ADHD meds are occasionally prescribed off-label to directly help with depression, because of their effects on dopamine/norepinephrine. You're already on ADHD meds, and they don't help with your depression, so perhaps your depression is not due to low levels of dopamine? IDK, I'm just thinking out loud!

Perhaps an MAOI like selegiline might fit your theory?
Old 09-09-18, 01:54 AM

Quote:
I guess I thought that a med that would boost dopamine in your system would have a positive effect on depression. I am wrong in my thoughts? I googled meds that increase dopamine and it says that ADHD meds only concentrate dopamine and not necessarily will boost dopamine levels. That is where I was getting that from. I always thought that stimulants would increase your dopamine levels but looks like you are correct in saying that Parkinsons meds would have that effect. Looks like I to am confused. Mainly my thoughts for asking the question. Or is it an SSRI med that I am looking for?

I'm worried about you. There is no possibility that you call your doctor and talk to him about what happens to you? It would be better if you did not extend this situation much. Regards.

My meds