ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-18, 10:00 AM

Vandeluca will become famous soon enough
Teen Girl ADHD questions and med questions

I have got question about medication for ADHD/general questions. We have made it to age 14 without meds. Not that this is a medal, but the reason I had not was because I was really trying without moreso, because she has another condition that really needed figuring out/lots of attention and I never wanted to add 'one more variable' in when trying to figure out those meds. That is ok, so I'm considering so I have some questions

1. In general do these meds help kids to improve executive functioning/planning or is it just for focus?

2. We have another condition here that runs hand in hand with ADHD (epilepsy) which is very controlled, but still we are on meds. I was wondering, in teen girls, when the period/puberty arrives, do ADHD girls ever become less focused? (in general). I swear that mine has become a bit less focused since that time. It is not Bart Simpson runing around or anything, just 'unfocused' more than normal to me.

3. I find I have Negative Nellie/Looking at the glass empty/Ms Complainer-can meds help shift this?

4. Over the years, the girls adhd/social component was my biggest concert. Though it's a lot better...I feel like I am always coaching/giving 'scenarios' that my daughter swears never happens in any other household except ours. I was wondering...Do the meds help this social piece. Have any of you just been so happy that you did it?

5. Lastly--are adhd meds the kind of thing that are 'structured' when they get it? For example, if she miss a seizure meds, she may get one. It is almost like they are addictive for lack of better word. What about the adhd meds. I feel like I hear people give them or not always, or not on weekends or summer, etc.

Thanks in advance..I don't even know what med to start with -as I plan to talk to the doctor. The med merry go round was stressful with the other condition. I wonder if I have what it takes this time around
V