ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-18, 04:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to all
Re: CPAP Diary

Will do, Benito, def look into it.

To qualify:

1. You can't be too overweight.
2. You have to have tried CPAP with no success.
3. Your airway has to close the "right" way when you have sleep apnea events at night (usually people who are very overweight don't qualify for this reason), so 75% of people pass this test. It's a mildly invasive outpatient procedure to test this.

Plus you have to qualify with your insurance company once the doctor approves you, because it ain't cheap and the insurance companies claim it's still an "experimental" treatment although it really isn't. Usually you have to submit a few times before you are approved. Private insurance companies are more willing than that of federal employees.

Success rate to treat the sleep apnea is 100% with the latest techniques.

Good luck with whatever you try!

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
Old 09-10-18, 06:57 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,244 Times in 7,590 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGoldberg View Post
3. Your airway has to close the "right" way
lol you lost me at #1

But also, I'm very much so having success with my cpap machine...as far as sleep is going, I'm pretty consistently getting more of it and it's MUCH more restful then I've had in years!

The surgery sounds pretty scary to me. It sounds freaky the way it jolts your tongue to move like that...I mean I know you're sleeping when it's working so you don't feel it...but what if you wake up in the middle of the night, or when you wake up in the morning?
Is it gentle? Does it freak you out at all?

I'm glad it's working for you so far though! I'd love to get more updates from you to see how it goes.

It's nice that there are other options out there for sleep apnea besides just cpap machines.

I'm just happy I've given this cpap thing a good honest attempt this time. I didn't last but 3 or 4 days with it years ago with my first try before I gave up on it.
Now I'm 12 nights in and I've no intentions of giving in. I've had a couple of off days...but dang, over all it's working!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-10-18)
Old 09-10-18, 09:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to all

Hi,

Yeah, it's freaky at first getting used to the jolt, but it really feels more like a muscle flexing than anything else. And your tongue actually barely moves at all; it's not like it shoots out of your mouth or anything crazy like that.

Actually, I've woken up in the middle of the night and gone to the kitchen to get something to eat and not even realized it was still on. So at this point I want them to set it to a longer period because the problem is now that I've been taking care of the insomnia, I'm sleeping LONGER than the 7 hours it's set too, so I'm not getting the full benefit! lol, ironic. So I'm dealing with some headaches and fogginess because of it.

It actually flexes once when you turn it on, so you know for sure it's been turned on, even though there's an indicator light on the remote.

Anyways, I'll give updates.

D.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
The Following User Says Thank You to DanielGM1970 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-11-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-18, 06:54 AM

benito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGoldberg View Post
Will do, Benito, def look into it.

To qualify:

3. Your airway has to close the "right" way when you have sleep apnea events at night (usually people who are very overweight don't qualify for this reason), so 75% of people pass this test. It's a mildly invasive outpatient procedure to test this.

Plus you have to qualify with your insurance company once the doctor approves you, because it ain't cheap and the insurance companies claim it's still an "experimental" treatment although it really isn't. Usually you have to submit a few times before you are approved. Private insurance companies are more willing than that of federal employees.

Success rate to treat the sleep apnea is 100% with the latest techniques.

Good luck with whatever you try!
I'm a bit overweight (25kg more than my normal weight) and cpap is doing very well. I am not a candidate for this type of treatment. Now I'm fine, but I saw interesting the idea of taking away the cpap forever. I'm swimming a lot more and losing weight (6kg less in 1.5 months). My intention is to continue like this and lose enough to be able to check if I still need the cpap. Greetings.

My meds

Morning: Vyvanse 50mg and effexor xr 75mg

night: Brintellix 20mg, lamictal 300mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 200mg and clonazepam 0.5mg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benito For This Useful Post:
DanielGM1970 (09-11-18), psychopathetic (09-11-18)
Old 09-19-18, 11:14 PM

psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

DAY 20:

3 weeks and not 1 single night have I skipped putting the mask on.

I'm really proud of this. I fought cpap pretty hard years ago when I first tried it...and in the back of my mind, I was really worried I'd fight it again.

It helps that I knew what to expect this time and that I actively wanted the machine.

...A few awesome observations.
  • --I think I've lost some weight. Not a ton or anything...but I can button my shirts now! Haven't been able to in months!

• --I have low oxygen...but I think that's improved a ton as well. I no longer get so breathless. I use to have a hard time taking deep breaths too. I'd try, but just at the end of drawing the air in...it'd get cut off and I wouldn't be able to draw in the last little bit or air to provide me with the satisfying feeling you get when you take a much needed deep breath. It was very frustrating.
    This doesn't happen nearly as much!

• --I'm able to get up and moving more. I use to have a difficult time just getting from my car, to the doors of a store. Now I can walk around quite a bit more before I start to get to that point.

• --The air pressure being blown from the cpap machine...no longer bugs me. I think I've pretty much gotten use to it, and also my lungs/muscles are starting to grow in strength.
    I no longer feel like I've got any struggle to breath with my mask on. In fact sometimes I think the machine isn't blowing any air at all because I just don't feel it. It's not till I remove my mask, or disconnect the tube that I know how much air it's pushing.

• --It's becoming pretty rare now for me to wake up with my mask off. In fact sometimes I wake up and can't feel my mask on my face...so I think I must've taken it off in my sleep...but then I move my hand to my face and discover that the mask is still on...lol.

I wouldn't say I 'love' my cpap machine. But I a happy with it for sure!

I continue to get more sleep then I have in a VERY long time. and it continues to be deep sleep with no tossing and turning. no waking up in panic and sweats, no nightmares...and no talking/singing/mumbling/screaming in my sleep. Oh and no snoring!

I did actually have 1 incident just 2 nights ago actually...I woke up screaming into my mask. /sigh...I use to do this quite a bit, but it stopped immediately once I started my cpap.
I hope it was just a fluke and that it doesn't become a regular thing again.

Also...I'm having issues with my diabetes right now (highs)...so the last week I've been waking up several times having to use the bathroom...it's been frustrating, and even though I'm able to fall asleep very quickly after, it is interrupting my sleep...this week I've been experiencing a lot of tiredness because of this...even though I am getting 8+ hours of sleep over all.

I'm happy. Happy with the machine, and very happy with myself.
I'm good at jumping into things with a lot of enthusiasm and motivation...then losing that steam, and giving up completely on what ever it is.

I really don't think this is going to happen with my cpap machine. I'm liking what it does for me too much, and I'm finally starting to really get use to it.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
benito (09-20-18), namazu (09-19-18), stef (09-20-18)
Old 09-20-18, 03:30 AM

benito is on a distinguished road

well done, psicho. Now that you're physically better, you could set yourself the goal of doing workout

My meds

Morning: Vyvanse 50mg and effexor xr 75mg

night: Brintellix 20mg, lamictal 300mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 200mg and clonazepam 0.5mg
The Following User Says Thank You to benito For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-20-18)
Old 09-20-18, 10:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,989 Times in 12,127 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

My granddaughter's diabetes numbers have been high lately as well.
We are at a loss to explain it. We've been watching her diet
and her mom gives her insulin as she's nodding off at night.
But she still wakes up with a wet bed despite wearing a pull-up
and having a sleep pad on her bed.

For awhile I thought my needing to wake up to pee several times each night
was related to having given birth ... it's not that uncommon.
Turns out while that may be part of the picture
the main reason is the DDD ... degenerative disk disease.
I got so tired, literally, of getting up to pee several times each night
that I bought some bed pads and started buying Depends.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-20-18)
Old 09-20-18, 12:18 PM

I wouldn't be able to bring myself to it...but getting up out of bed to goto the bathroom is alot easier for me then it is for you because I don't have body pains like you experience.

Also, just as I type up how well I'm doing...I had a rough go with cpap today haha.
I stayed up all night and went to bed at 7am...it was a bit frustrating because I had to be up by 10:30 for a group I goto...and it took me awhile to fall asleep.
Also...I felt like I was fighting the air being pushed into me again. Something I haven't dealt with lately.

I woke up an hour later feeling like I was suffocating from the air pushing into me. /sigh
So I took the mask off and tossed and turned and tried to fall back asleep. But I just couldn't.

Ah well...there's always naps! lol

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.