ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 09-11-18, 05:05 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,235 Times in 7,586 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Moving towards employment...again.

Let me just start off by saying that I have a HUGE fearing of becoming employed...and then quitting soon after.

It's what's happened the last 2 times I've become employed in the last 4'ish years.
I was SUPER excited about both jobs, and got tons of people both in the 3d world and online all super excited for me...and then bam...I became overwhelmed very quickly at both places and quit.

I had a dream job 2 years ago...something I think that if I'd have stuck with...would've stopped being a job, and would've become a career.
But dang...I only lasted a couple of months.

That out of the way...

I'm moving towards employment. Have been for a few months now, but have been trying to take it slow. I tend to jump into new things too quickly and put ALL my effort and attention into it, just to either become overwhelmed or bored of it...and quit.
So I'm moving slowly on purpose here.

But I'm now closer. I look to fill out and turn in an application within the next 3 weeks.

It's another dream job. Something I can see myself doing well into the distance future.

It'd be helping people with developmental disabilities with daily tasks.
It'd be with people that are well enough to not need to be in an institute (which our town has)...but at the same time...can't live without 24/7 assistance.
They live in several different group homes, and they've also got a big building (one of the largest in town) where they do all sorts of different activities.

1 of the greatest disapointments I had with my last job...working in a nursing home...is that my boss made it very clear (verbally), that I could not be spending so much 1 on 1 time with the lovely people that lived there. That I had too much to do and that I wasn't being payed to visit and be 1 on 1 with the lovelies. It honestly broke my heart...I felt SO amazing when I was with them visiting and listening and just showing them that I cared about them and that they were important to me! haha I'm getting goosebumps as I typed that.
That was pretty much the breaking point for me. That's when I really started going down hill with the job quick.

This new place I'd be working for though...it's ALL about being 1 on 1 with these guys! My responsibilities aren't to the facility...my responsibilities are to the people themselves.
THIS is what I love! THIS is what I want. This is what I'd hoped for in my previous job.

And I'm damn good at it. I'm good at caring for people, listening, and being sensitive, supportive, understanding...I love helping, and I'm just a big ol'softy...it's very natural for me to take on the role of a grandson or a nephew to people...sometimes even a brother.
I'm just nice, honest, caring person at heart...and I really think that once people start getting to know me, they can just sense that in me. They can relax around me.

Despite the fact that I'm a loner...I really do love people. And I love helping those who are a bit vulnerable. Elderly and the disabled and etc. I've got this "big papa"/"protector" side of me that doesn't get to shine nearly enough. When I'm able to let that side out though...it's just magical!

And things are just so well lined up for me at this place. I'm working with a case manager who worked there for over 10 years and knows all the right people to talk to...
The place is also BIG on hiring people with mental and physical disabilities of just about any kind.
Not only do they hire part time...but my case manager thinks she can get it set up where I'd only work like 3 or 4 days a week and probably under 20 hours for a period of time, and then re-evaluate things after a period of time (like a month or so) and if I'm feeling ready...then I could add on more hours from there.
This would be to help me from taking on too much too quickly and becoming overwhelmed like I have a long history of.
And...I'd most likely work either evenings or nights...which is perfect for me, as I'm not a morning person at all.

It just sounds so great on paper. Things line up so well. It's something I'm not only good at...but that I love doing...it'd be part time, it'd be very fulfilling where I'd be making a direct impact on people each day...and yeah...It just sounds all so great!

So anyhow...this post is already far longer then it needs to be. I do realized I'm ridiculous to expect anyone to read through such a long post.

Just wanted to post this up though. A part time job would do SO much for me guys. And it's not about the money at all. It's about what it'll do for my mood and giving me purpose and hope and making me feel productive and responsible again.
That's more important to me than the money.

I do have a LOT of fears though going forward. I'm sure I'll post more about those fears later...but that's for another thread.

Today I just wanted to let ya'll know that I've been working slowly towards this job for several months now...but now I'm just about ready to make that leap and put all my efforts into landing a position at this place.
I'm not 100% ready for this...but at the same time I realize that I'll never bee 100% ready and it seems to me that the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
benito (09-12-18), Emre22 (09-13-18), FlipperTheWhale (09-12-18), lisariver (09-26-18), midnightstar (09-11-18), namazu (09-11-18), Rebelyell (09-11-18)
Old 09-11-18, 05:09 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 22,713 Times in 13,412 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving towards employment...again.

I read it through quickly, psycho, good luck with the job

I'll post more tomorrow after work, bed time here now though
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-11-18)
Old 09-11-18, 05:15 PM

psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

/loves his sleepy head Midsy

(((Mids)))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (09-12-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-18, 03:07 AM

benito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Let me just start off by saying that I have a HUGE fearing of becoming employed...and then quitting soon after.

It's what's happened the last 2 times I've become employed in the last 4'ish years.
I was SUPER excited about both jobs, and got tons of people both in the 3d world and online all super excited for me...and then bam...I became overwhelmed very quickly at both places and quit.

I had a dream job 2 years ago...something I think that if I'd have stuck with...would've stopped being a job, and would've become a career.
But dang...I only lasted a couple of months.

That out of the way...

I'm moving towards employment. Have been for a few months now, but have been trying to take it slow. I tend to jump into new things too quickly and put ALL my effort and attention into it, just to either become overwhelmed or bored of it...and quit.
So I'm moving slowly on purpose here.

But I'm now closer. I look to fill out and turn in an application within the next 3 weeks.

It's another dream job. Something I can see myself doing well into the distance future.

It'd be helping people with developmental disabilities with daily tasks.
It'd be with people that are well enough to not need to be in an institute (which our town has)...but at the same time...can't live without 24/7 assistance.
They live in several different group homes, and they've also got a big building (one of the largest in town) where they do all sorts of different activities.

1 of the greatest disapointments I had with my last job...working in a nursing home...is that my boss made it very clear (verbally), that I could not be spending so much 1 on 1 time with the lovely people that lived there. That I had too much to do and that I wasn't being payed to visit and be 1 on 1 with the lovelies. It honestly broke my heart...I felt SO amazing when I was with them visiting and listening and just showing them that I cared about them and that they were important to me! haha I'm getting goosebumps as I typed that.
That was pretty much the breaking point for me. That's when I really started going down hill with the job quick.

This new place I'd be working for though...it's ALL about being 1 on 1 with these guys! My responsibilities aren't to the facility...my responsibilities are to the people themselves.
THIS is what I love! THIS is what I want. This is what I'd hoped for in my previous job.

And I'm damn good at it. I'm good at caring for people, listening, and being sensitive, supportive, understanding...I love helping, and I'm just a big ol'softy...it's very natural for me to take on the role of a grandson or a nephew to people...sometimes even a brother.
I'm just nice, honest, caring person at heart...and I really think that once people start getting to know me, they can just sense that in me. They can relax around me.

Despite the fact that I'm a loner...I really do love people. And I love helping those who are a bit vulnerable. Elderly and the disabled and etc. I've got this "big papa"/"protector" side of me that doesn't get to shine nearly enough. When I'm able to let that side out though...it's just magical!

And things are just so well lined up for me at this place. I'm working with a case manager who worked there for over 10 years and knows all the right people to talk to...
The place is also BIG on hiring people with mental and physical disabilities of just about any kind.
Not only do they hire part time...but my case manager thinks she can get it set up where I'd only work like 3 or 4 days a week and probably under 20 hours for a period of time, and then re-evaluate things after a period of time (like a month or so) and if I'm feeling ready...then I could add on more hours from there.
This would be to help me from taking on too much too quickly and becoming overwhelmed like I have a long history of.
And...I'd most likely work either evenings or nights...which is perfect for me, as I'm not a morning person at all.

It just sounds so great on paper. Things line up so well. It's something I'm not only good at...but that I love doing...it'd be part time, it'd be very fulfilling where I'd be making a direct impact on people each day...and yeah...It just sounds all so great!

So anyhow...this post is already far longer then it needs to be. I do realized I'm ridiculous to expect anyone to read through such a long post.

Just wanted to post this up though. A part time job would do SO much for me guys. And it's not about the money at all. It's about what it'll do for my mood and giving me purpose and hope and making me feel productive and responsible again.
That's more important to me than the money.

I do have a LOT of fears though going forward. I'm sure I'll post more about those fears later...but that's for another thread.

Today I just wanted to let ya'll know that I've been working slowly towards this job for several months now...but now I'm just about ready to make that leap and put all my efforts into landing a position at this place.
I'm not 100% ready for this...but at the same time I realize that I'll never bee 100% ready and it seems to me that the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.
Congratulations for the efforts you are making to make your life better. It's a big step that you start moving to look for a job and that also that responsibility with the people you're going to work with makes you feel so good. Do not worry about previous resignations. The fact that it happened before doesn't mean that the same thing will happen now. Give yourself your time and focus on the positive things.
Sorry for my English from Google translator. Today I'm not very focused.

My meds

Morning: Vyvanse 50mg and effexor xr 75mg

night: Brintellix 20mg, lamictal 300mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 200mg and clonazepam 0.5mg
The Following User Says Thank You to benito For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-12-18)
Old 09-12-18, 03:24 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,407 Times in 15,013 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Lovey: I so get where you are coming from. I have been on disability for like 16 years and after my youngest Ella left for school last Thursday I actually went into a depression which is why I was scarce around here for a few days. Jake is living at school. Becca is at the sober house( I honestly do not think she will want to come home here) and Ella started 10th grade. For the first time in years I felt my purpose...gone. My whole identity has been Mom or wife. I cried off an on for a few days and felt so purpose-less. I have had many dreams and impulsive wishes about what I wanted to do. I would like to go back to school for my teaching certificate to be a HS English teacher. I have a BA so it would be about 2 years. But I need to re-learn math because I have to pass the Praxis exam and I really suck at math. A lot of people will say they suck at math but I REALLY suck at it. I had to repeat Algebra 1 and Geometry in HS and barely passed.
I finally ordered a new laptop. We had to move some money around because I have to pay for my cap/crown and Ella's braces so we budgeted for a new laptop(if you saw what I had rigged here you would laugh) and the laptop will enable me to take review classes etc. I am so scared. I use to be way better with change but in my old age even good change scares me.
Sorry I have taken up your thread talking about myself. You know I love ya.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
benito (09-12-18), lisariver (09-26-18), psychopathetic (09-12-18)
Old 09-12-18, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Sorry I have taken up your thread talking about myself.
haha, no no! I always love hearing from you!

Sorry to hear it's been a rough week for you. Really happy you got a new toy computer though! I love getting new gear .

(((Sweets)))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 09-13-18, 03:04 AM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

DH just bought himself a new PC also after his old one became unusable. It was so dang expensive! I had told him to ahead and use my Mac for a while, but he's never used a Mac. Glad you're making plans on going back to school, Sarah. I really think most teachers are great!
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-13-18)
Old 09-13-18, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBV View Post
but he's never used a Mac.!
Poor guy . lol...I /heart my macbook.

What kind of computer did he end up getting?

I always tried to talk my parents into a mac...but they just couldn't bring themselves to paying so much on a computer.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 09-13-18, 06:16 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,278 Times in 13,952 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the perfect job for you. You'll be so good at that!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-18, 06:32 AM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

Good luck with your job Psycho

Also it can help you to feel better,improve your mental condition

You will be busy with something and you will feel happy because you enjoy helping others

Air Nomad Guru Laghima
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-18, 02:03 PM

Thanked 3,971 Times in 2,043 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Hope you get the job psycho!
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-21-18)
Old 09-25-18, 11:54 PM

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent! That would be very rewarding!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-26-18)