ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-05, 08:30 PM

info is on a distinguished road
Bipolar Dad

Hi all,

My dad was diagnosed with bipolar about 5 years ago. At the time he wasn't coping with work and went into a real low and then went on a terrible high after taking lithium and then back down to a low.

I'm pretty sure after two years he went off his medication. Ever since then he has managed to get away with being undetected by the world as having bi-polar. However, I know he's no the same person I knew 6 years ago.

Now he seems to not have any feelings and just likes to talk about himself and what he's doing in life, which is nothing that special. He doesn't seem to be able to feel for others. At times I wonder if that is really him or is because he's not taking his medication.

Unfortunately I have had no success in convincing him to go back on the medication, to be honest I find him to be very selfish (that's always been him), always putting himself before others and I've sort of given up on helping him.

I was just wondering if other people that have family of friends who have BP have similar problems.