ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-05, 12:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Marmalade_man is on a distinguished road
Vic/Marmalade_Man, Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Hi my name is Vic.

I am age 54 and now live near Subury, Ontario, Canada. Until 12 years ago I lived in Timmins about 300km (175 miles) north of here. Timmins was the home town of singer Shania Twain.

I am in the process of getting a diagnosis concerning ADD but am certain I have it based upon some online assessments, my Dr.'s comments and the massive amount of information I have found recently.

I have had ADD related problems all my life but never suspected what was wrong until a few weeks ago.

Recently a friend gave me a book, "Driven to Distraction" by Edward M. Hallowell & John J. Ratey [both M.D.s]. I see my life story on almost every page.

It was a big help to me. I went to my G.P. with it and the 83 "yes" answers to the 100 part ADHD questionnaire I completed.

My G.P. put me on a very low dose of Methylphenidate HCL, a generic version of Ritalin on
July 20, 2005 and the results are simply amazing.

I have always had trouble getting things done. For example, I usually cut the grass or do the dishes in a two or three session process. The grass may take a few days to complete. These are tasks that my wife thinks that I should be able to do in a few minutes.

Instead I get bored, frustrated or distracted and drift off to do other things. It usually takes me three hours to do the dishes in three starts and sometimes I don't have them quite finished when she gets home from work at
9:30 P.M. This frustrates her tremendously as she thinks I am just lazy. I really do want to do them but get distracted, drift off and completely forget about the work I should be doing.

The second night after getting Ritalin, my daughter and my wife went out for the evening and I did the dishes and cut the grass in a bit over one hour. This may seem nothing to most people but is a major accomplishment for me. I have done them promptly each time since then.

I have always had trouble focussing on the job at hand and prioritizing. Even after taking time management courses and making lists often I loose the list or get distracted or bored and start doing something else. At the end of the day, I often find I have worked on a lot of things, finished few and done little of the "important" items I intended doing.

I loose my keys, shoes, car, wallet, "to do" lists, money, important papers, pens, tools to do the job and the TV remote all the time.

It is impossible for me to learn simple instructions unless I am lucky enough to write them down and NOT loose the note.

At times I am able to 'hyper-focus' and concentrate on some tasks for long periods of time and to complete tremendous amounts of high quality work.

Other times when I am not interested and under stress, I can not even get started or accomplish any thing ... the day just slips away.

I find myself doing unimportant things while tasks that are important to myself and my family go untouched.

In high school, I did very well in subjects I liked and poorly in subjects I didn't like. I was always told my I.Q. was very high and that I could do much better.

Often I have been told I daydream or talk too much to others.

I get frustrated and don't like to follow 'rules' or wait in line. Often, I get frustrated as people don't 'get to the point' but I will ramble on for hours and repeat myself constantly.

In school, I often was disruptive.

I often interrupt people in conversation and finish off what I think they are about to say.

In college, I took only subjects I liked and although I spent much longer doing homework and exams than other students, I did very well. In some subjects, the professors used to allow unlimited time for exams. For one professor, that ended when I spent 5 hours doing a two hour exam. While I got an 'A', I was told I abused the system and ruined it for everyone.

Under stress I often find myself spending an entire morning trying to read one page.

As I child, I used to mirror write. I am ambidextrous and still can write with either hand and read upside down.

It was never a problem for me with puzzles that have the solution written so you are supposed to hold them up to a mirror to read them ... I can read them directly. Often I put things in similar [but wrong] containers when not paying attention. For example, I might pour my self a bowl of milk instead of a glass of one .

My wife has apparently told me for years to always put my keys and wallet etc. in the same place so I don't loose them. Until recently, I was never able to remember to do this. I honestly don't remember her telling me this trick before.

I have always had trouble sleeping because I couldn’t shut my brain off at night. Many thoughts always rushed through my brain and I usually got four to five hours of sleep at the most even with a sleeping pill. I haven’t taken or felt the need for a sleeping pill since starting on the Ritalin. If I get to bed by
11:00 pm, I get a full night sleep. If I stay up a bit later , my mind starts to race and I can’t sleep.

I usually have many, many projects on the go and while I usually get some of them finished on a regular basis, more go unfinished. For example, I have been building a summer cottage since 1978 and it is still not finished. It took me three years to finish a 12’ by 16’ deck at the rear of my house.

It is not unusually for me to have 10 books on the go in various parts of the house. As I often don’t bookmark, I have been reading a few of them for several years.

I might sit in the recreation room watching TV switching channels constantly {watching two programs at once) while reading two books on and off and every few minutes getting up to check the internet or burn a CD or DVD.

Often, I do things the 'hard way' but this seems to be the way I must do things because of the way my brain is wired. These methods seem easier for me.

I have developed special tricks to many tasks that others find easy. Likewise, I am proud that I help others do math using methods that are not normally taught in school. Over the years, I have had about 1.5 million visitors to my Fantastic Math Tricks page. Just search for Math Tricks google to find it.

I always found it impossible to clean up my desk, home office and garage. There were piles of things everywhere as keeping things in an “all out” fashion was the only way I could find anything. Thus we had tidy parts of our house where my wife rules and cleans and I had my “messy:” private places. It is strange that I spent a tremendous amount of time “cleaning” but this usually amounted to re-piling and attempting to organize my junk. Usually I got distracted and wandered off. Since starting on Ritalin, a month and a half ago, I have cleaned up almost everything. I found a book “ADD-FRIENDLY WAYS TO ORGANIZE YOUR LIFE” by Judith Kohlberg and Kathleen Nadeau that has helped tremendously. I had to get rid of a tremendous amount of junk but don’t miss it.

I was a clerical worker and office manager for 21 years. In tough times, the organization cut the work force, restructured the jobs, increased individual expectations. Under the much increased work I was extremely stressed. Eventually, I was ‘downsized’ in 1996 along with 13,000 other workers. Since then, I have had many jobs but most do not last long as I either don’t take instructions well or are so distracted that I don’t learn quickly enough to perform the jobs up to expectations. I am hoping this changes for the better.

I am currently unemployed and have a lot of trouble looking for work. I am seldom satisfied with my resume. I never seem to be able to get it just right. Soon, I will be desperate for money unless I find a good paying job. I always have trouble getting started looking for work but can do a lot once I get started.

I have always expressed myself better verbally but can write quite well when I have the time to edit carefully. Often I dash off things like this message that are rambling and far too long.

While I am sometimes moody, sharp tempered and difficult, I generally don’t consider myself depressed. I force my self to look at the good things in life although I am totally frustrated with my current situation.

Best wishes and thanks,

Vic

PS: Please excuse the long post. I will keep it short in future.
Old 09-08-05, 01:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,014 Times in 2,424 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the ADD forums, Vic!

Although long, it was an easy post to read with the breaks in it!

You'll find a lot of information and support here, enjoy!

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Old 09-08-05, 03:31 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,056 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the ADD Forums

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-05, 05:32 PM

scuro has disabled reputation
Looks like you have come to the right place. I'm near London Ont., hows the fishing up there?
Old 12-08-05, 01:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuro
<snip> I'm near London Ont., hows the fishing up there?
Fishing... Are there fish here? I never noticed.
Old 12-08-05, 02:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

stori813 has disabled reputation
Welcome Marmalade_man

Usually I'm not a fan of the long post.
But your post was worth reading.
It was very easy to relate too.

(Reading upside down) Do you also have dyslexia?
The only reason I ask is because I do that and I am dyslexic.

You said you force yourself to look at the good side.
And you are sharp tempered.
Couldn't hurt to discuss depression with your doctor.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Forums
Old 12-13-05, 03:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stori813
Welcome Marmalade_man

(Reading upside down) Do you also have dyslexia? Yes.

You said you force yourself to look at the good side.
And you are sharp tempered.

I only ment sometimes, particularly when interupted when I am focussing on something else. I am generally very happy most of the time. I seldom if ever feel down.
I now have a Dx - severe ADHD with depression in remission.

- Vic
Old 12-13-05, 03:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

stori813 has disabled reputation
Well, now I see why you're post was easy to relate too.
We have the exact same Dx. lol
Old 12-13-05, 09:15 AM

princessvalium is on a distinguished road
Welcome Vic!

I'm a recently-diagnosed Ontarian too(Toronto). I'm glad your meds aer working out for you so well!
Old 12-13-05, 07:28 PM

Ichpuchtli has a spectacular aura aboutIchpuchtli has a spectacular aura about
Wink Welcome, Willkommen, Bienvenue, Benvenuto, Bienvenido, Vitejte, 歡迎, 歓迎, 환영, Howdy.

Welcome to the ADD forums. I think I have read that book driven to distraction also very good.