ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Children
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-07, 06:32 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
An adult with pediatric onset bipolar...

I have been trying to look for information specifically regarding adulthood in people with childhood bipolar disorder. I accept the diagnosis although the Manic/Depressive aspect of it is now limited to nasty mixed states. As if hyperactive AD/HD isn't bad enough, I seem to have a lot of the childhood bipolar aspects, I have to vent some frustrations around being able to track my mood state and effectively responding to it, because there really is no cycle, I literally can go into a full blown mixed state, on medication, for no reason at all and the time of it's duration can be from 30 seconds to 3 months. I never really was treatment compliant as a kid and being a brat at times often resulted in a Haldol shot in the rear, so denial of having the illness is frequent even as an adult.
I am a bit frustrated when it comes to taking responsibility for it because it is so unpredictable. Add PTSD and ADHD (hyperactive) to it and at times I give a pretty accurate profile of hypomania (I miss those days).
The fact that I only have mixed states now and try to be responsible for managing it can often result in unnecessary breaks in my life due to a 30 second jump per say.
My question is toward any member or even parent of a child that can help with some strategies???? because the only treatment strategies I can find are not very helpful
Old 05-01-07, 09:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

justhope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the rough
Mspen...

I am stuck at work right now....but I have been doing all kinds of research and am starting to work with a "specialized" group of people who work with kids/adults who have "child driving" disabilities. I will be happy to look for you and do whatever I can to offer some kind of help..

I have discovered even now, they are still scratching their head's about Early Onset BPD. Since the symptoms are not typical. Dr. Barbara Geller has a model she has designed to try to track, and diagnose children/adolesants...because they just can't pin it down. I found quite a bit of info out of a book for parents...Called The Up's and Down's of Raising A Biploar Child. I know it's kid driven but it gives a really good breakdown of what is going on and what to do.

I have some other stuff, I'll see and get back to you.

Take care, you know I always bug you...and make sure you are ok...

Hope

Mother Is The Name for God in the Lips & Hearts of Little Children
Old 05-03-07, 11:27 AM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
yeah I was probably a 'founding father' considering it was unheard of to be a bipolar child when I was 9 years old, but the description has never fit and even now I still have it the way it's described in childhood and given that I never really accepted treatment I manage to only have mixed states now which is what my research (can you say hyperfocus) says happens when it goes untreated.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-07, 05:20 PM
Banned

Wish is an unknown quantity at this point
I highly recommend reading "The COBAD Syndrome: New Hope for People Suffering from the Inherited Syndrome of Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder by Dr. William Niederhut. Dr. Niederhut is an adult psychiatrist who has seen many adults with childhood onset bipolar disorder and adhd. He discovered COBAD syndrome after he recognized the symptoms in himself and his two young daughters. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...1420867015&z=y