ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-04, 04:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Kimalimah has a spectacular aura aboutKimalimah has a spectacular aura about
Red face Kimalimah - Germany

Greetings world... my name is Kim and I live in Germany with my husband, two sons, and two cats. My husband and I are both originally from Minnesota, but have lived here for 15 years. Both kids were born here, one in Cologne and one in Bamberg. My first born (age 14) was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 3, my second son (age 12) with ADD at the age of 5, and this year I finally confirmed my suspicion and was also diagnosed ADHD at the age of 46.

My oldest is an extreme case. He responds well to medication (currently Concerta), but even with medication, he is very hard to manage and struggles enormously to find his place in this world. We started, at the age of 4, with individual therapy where I was included so that I could learn how to best respond to his needs. We also were in a parents support group and he also received "occupational therapy" to help with the coordination problems and overall "tension".

With my youngest it was difficult to tell if his problems came from within or from living in the "chaos" generated by his brother. However, with testing it was determined (at the age of 5) that he is also ADD (not hyperactive), but that he was very skilled at developing his own coping mechanisms. He is our dreamer.

I finally had myself also thoroughly checked out this year because I was "cracking under the pressure" and was considering medication to help get me through. I didn't want to take the "wrong" medication, though, and therefore started by confirming ADHD. I am currently on a no-name form of Ritalin. I have incredible difficulties getting it in, but when I do it makes a huge difference.

We have, throughout the years, been in various therapies (family and individual) with breaks inbetween to apply what we've learned. We have had enormous luck, for the most part, in finding highly qualified, well-informed, and motivated professionals to work with.

There is awareness of ADHD here in Germany, but also a lot of mis-information. There is also the problem of the breakdown in the medical insurance system which is making it ever more difficult for us. The options for medications are heavily restricted and a bit behind the times. If your not privately insured, you have to fight tooth and nail to get the time-released versions of Ritalin.

Another sad fact are the waiting lists for psychological help. Our son, reaching puberty, decided to stop all medications and had a total melt-down. In order to keep him in school, he agreed to start a new therapy. That was September. His first appointment was in late March.
Thankfully, he agreed to go back on his meds, but even so, he was not able to salvage the year.

That brings us to the school system. We are also removing him from the school, because he has such a bad reputation that we don't feel he would get a fair chance even with new teachers. We have found that most, if not all, teachers don't have a clue when it comes to ADHD. We have educated as we go and some have responded well, others not. It's sad, though, because with a little training they could help so many kids!

Well, I've problably written far too much for just an intro, but once started I don't know where to stop. I hope this manages to get posted at all, to tell you the truth. There are so many "buttons" to push and I don't know that I've done it right. Here's hoping...

Kim
Old 08-08-04, 10:24 AM

triple*eee is on a distinguished road
I am new too, but wanted to offer my support.

Having a school system that doesn't know a lot about ADD/ADHD would be very difficult.

Here in the states we have the 504 plan, It allows children diagnosed with ADD/ADHD (who want it) to have special considerations. (ex. sitting closer to the teacher , extra time taking tests, etc...

So far, we have not used the plan for my daughter. She is doing fine with medications.

I understand why you would want to switch schools for your son. Once teachers and students judge another child with ADD/ADHD it's hard to change their perceptions.

But, i would caution switching a lot of times. A fresh start can be good but not over and over.

A lot of people choose home schooling (not something I could do , but many do)

Take care and again welcome,

Denise
Old 08-08-04, 12:24 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,056 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Kim,

Welcome to the ADD Forums! I can certainly appreciate the challenges that you and your family face, and can only imagine how much harder it is in a country where there is likely more misinformation than in the United States. I look forward to reading additional posts from you.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-04, 04:18 PM

jaimegerise has disabled reputation
Welcome Kim!
Old 08-08-04, 06:23 PM

Garry has disabled reputation

As I am very lazy when it comes to typing so I have created a welcome page and ADDed a link here to get you there

My Welcome Page

Garry

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Old 08-09-04, 08:53 AM

Draga has disabled reputation
Hi ya & Hugs Kim! Glad to welcome to the forums.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 08-11-04, 08:18 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Welcome to ADD Forums!!!!
Old 05-16-05, 02:02 AM

beeblebrox is on a distinguished road
Hi Kim,

I'm in Germany too and am well aware of the problems facing ADDers here. I'm also taking a no-name form of Ritalin: Medikinet, it's called. I was told that it was a bit "milder" than Ritalin.

Anyway, I'm new here too, but wanted to say howdy and welcome.

Leah
Old 07-26-05, 10:12 PM
Jr Member

batgirl is on a distinguished road
I just wanted to say pleased to meet you all!! I'm new too so I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes by welcoming you.

BG
Old 08-02-05, 09:17 PM

Faith is on a distinguished road
Hello All! I'm new also-a few hours ago actually-and haven't even had a chance to introduce myself. But I'm adding to the thread to support Kim with "I feel ya!" (and which would not surprise me if I were to discover that many of us here "feel" Kim with no spoken or written word available to express the empathy to it's depth) It would have been wise for me to seek out a site like this a long time ago. A community of people who are my kind of "normal" (:
Old 08-02-05, 09:46 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,056 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome, Faith! Looking forward to reading your own intro

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 08-04-05, 09:21 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,349 Times in 6,095 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow kim reading your introduction from last years is cool how do you say that "you've come a long way!!!!!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 10-14-05, 03:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

ClarityWhere is on a distinguished road
Tammy, love your quote!
I'm new here, too - now I'm looking forward to seeing recent posts by Kim!
Old 10-19-06, 12:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

thewfh will become famous soon enough
Hi all..

Just wanted to say "hi" too. It feels good to browse through everyone's posts. I don't feel so alone.
Old 07-10-07, 01:44 PM
Jr Member

PintJunkie is on a distinguished road
Iím new here as well.

I was recently diagnosed as ADD. My older sister has ADHD and to this day is still un-diagnosed. Growing up she struggled with drugs, acting up, promiscuity, etc. She was never medicated and it caused so much grief and trouble for my parents that it almost tore our family apart and got my father kicked out of the military.

I always resented her for being such a bad kid. Now that I know what everything is about, I feel really bad for her.

Reading your post makes me think at how different our lives could have been if she was properly diagnosed.