ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-07, 11:25 AM

Thanked 6,421 Times in 4,675 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation
heya!
I want to give you a list of books - but I have only read ADDF and wikiP type references over the last 5 years
{Stabile,meadd823,Nova,qinkin,Eboy,Zach326,DB,CF,H F,carla,KV,Ian,IM,VI,SP,SL,SC oh my! S*
and a whole bunch more including
Hyperion,Barbyman,Scuro

...and tried to understand what the guys could see by following the white rabbit

... doesn't work to read a book (for me) - need to identify a question - and then I can read.
I wonder whether we're entering a hypertext world - where books themselves merge into a single story.

In 'general' + 'science' sub-F
- I'm fond of calling the 'tale of mind' as 'tale of man'
... when I was a little younger - I did do the book route - and now have well over a hundred text books in IT - but none read cover to cover ...

... actually turned into an exercise in building a library - that was my first 'job' at school ... I knew that a structured classification of an area - without opening the books - wasn't enough - an expensive way around to getting to an overview - but without any detail underlying.

Usually 'got' bored post big-picture...

(the one subject I haven't 'big-pictured' is maths - hanging around the Wolfram site - to work out the structure of maths
why? is this so difficult to do?
(I think the answer may be upon us soon thanks to (from Stabile) - Stabile, Witten (string guy), Go..del, Hilbert, Albus and the collective efforts of humanity ...

... peculiarly - the idea of - the world being disproven as 'flat' will be revisited - but not of course for correction back - rather forwards ...
4 wards - into the future - remember o! 13
:-)
... for more than it helping you to ADDF:science forum

-*-

yupsy ... the tough bit is finding a question - and then holding onto one's hat - as the answer is sought.

So - here's a question ... how do we define the limitations of our (finite and hence limited?) mind in understanding the (not finite) world {realm,universe} (and hence infiinite) outside our head?

I want to give you a list - but I don't have one.
Can give you an idea though -
ask the questions -
question the answers ...
(*all* yourself though)

(here) and elsewhere
... trust me
- this next bit is of great importance ...

personal enquiry, honest investigation - development of mind
leads to the most marvellous
wholly unexpected pay-off*.

:-)

* importantly - nothing to do with the $
which importantly - need be removed from your motivation for learning.

Perhaps this relates to my problems with ASP - freedom of everything - but not the pseudo-free competitive - not 'not working' with others because of our free brand kinda' free ...
I just wonder whether Linux'll be swept aside - as we re-enter the distributed model of thin clients ...

... which brings us back to mind

-> 'a distributed model'

... Speedo is our resident supercomputer, distributed system expert (btw)
Old 05-12-07, 12:16 PM

formax will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_UK
(the one subject I haven't 'big-pictured' is maths - hanging around the Wolfram site - to work out the structure of maths
why?
I remember once going into hyperfocus studying a math exam, and I just read the math as if it where plain text.Sorta Neo goes 0110011001-style experience. I aced the exam, not remembering the structure of mathematical proves, but just following what then seemed a natural flow of thought.

Quote:
So - here's a question ... how do we define the limitations of our (finite and hence limited?) mind in understanding the (not finite) world {realm,universe} (and hence infiinite) outside our head?
1) Definition does not necessarily implie understanding, au contraire. Wrongly defining a subject may lead to general misconception.

2) The only limition to mind is the thought of a mind having boundaries. No one has ever maxed out his/her mind, far from it.

3) The universe is nothing but a playground for genetic replicators.

Quote:
* importantly - nothing to do with the $
which importantly - need be removed from your motivation for learning.
To be honest this was my first motivation to begin in IT. Until I've met the wonderful world of AI.

Quote:
-> 'a distributed model'
The general misconception of intelligence is the importance of centralised control. This is what interested me in swarm intelligence. Decentralised distributed superpower!

Out of our minds : Learning to be creative - Ken Robinson
Cradle to Cradle : Remaking the way we make things - William McDonough & Michael Braungart
Asking the Right Questions : A Guide to Critical Thinking - M. Neil Browne & Stuart M. Keeley
Gödel, Escher, Bach : an Eternal Golden Braid - Douglas R. Hofstadter
Swarm Intelligence - James Kennedy & Russel C. Eberhart
Old 05-12-07, 12:22 PM

ps thanks for the pointers

I think I've got a pretty good picture of where I want to go ( buy every other science book on amazon )

Cradle to Cradle : Remaking the way we make things - William McDonough & Michael Braungart
Asking the Right Questions : A Guide to Critical Thinking - M. Neil Browne & Stuart M. Keeley
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-07, 12:51 PM

Thanked 6,421 Times in 4,675 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation
or ... alternatively ... :-)
... just ask a buncha' ADDers ...

you never know - one of the 'collective' may just have wotcher after

2) The only limition to mind is ... ... ...
->- yay!
3) The universe as playground for 'genetic replicators'** ...
... ...

->-
sb as a cheerleader - pom poms in the air

'3,4,13
hey formax
you're so fine
you're so fine
you blow my mind
hey formax ... hey formax ...

-> and now a message from our sponsor

'formax for president'

hee hee hee

... ... ... wilkommen bienvenue et welcome to club ADDF (dude).
Old 05-12-07, 01:09 PM

When do I receive my membershipcard?

Or is my brain enough an unique identifier to pass as a life long membershipcard?

Old 05-12-07, 01:20 PM

befor I forget : Vielen dank, Merci Bien et Thank you

Old 05-12-07, 01:31 PM

I wonder if brains one day will be scanned as if they were mere RFID-tags...

EEG=MC˛

Old 05-12-07, 01:34 PM

This is about the time I stop my monologue or move it to the appropriate sub-section

Old 05-13-07, 12:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough
welcome to the forum, formax good to have you here.

A child's mind is like a shallow brook which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education and reflects here a flower, there a bush, yonder fleecy cloud... -Helen Keller

Old 05-13-07, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

Old 06-24-07, 04:27 PM

Little less than 2 months ago I discovered ADD.

I first read about the symptoms on a website and googled the next 2 weeks to find answers. I was convinced I had ADD, the storyboard of my life was a blueprint for ADD. I always got to hear I was lazy as a kid, didn't try hard enough in school,... I formed a very negative image of myself over the years. Until last month I decided to see how smart I am. I started doing online IQ-tests to see in what end of the 'spectrum' I would end up.

I'm in a relationship with a phd-cum-laude-student and always saw her as the smart half of us. So we started doing IQ-tests together to compare our differences. We were both surprised by my results being higher then hers (she's the smart one remember, this can't be!). I registered for a mensatest since I aced the pré-test in half the time. And I'm now a mensa member... I've been trough a vortex of emotions the last 2 months. From lazy and dumb to highly gifted with possible ADD (I'm still awaiting the results from the neuropsychiatrist&psychologist). I couldn't care less about the Mensa to be honest, all I want is some answers to my learning problems. To be able to achieve all the things I want without ADD(symptoms) getting in the way!

Has anyone here had the same experiences? From not knowing to ADD-conscious to highly gifted?

Old 06-24-07, 06:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

Theodor is on a distinguished road
Hi and welcome to the forum! (a litle late )
Quote:
Originally Posted by formax
Until last week I searched help, my jaw dropped, my eyes opened up. Last week has been a rollercoaster of emotions and revelations to me. After years of accepting the fact that I'm not as smart as I thaught I was, I was tested on intelligence. I took different IQ-tests all having the same result, 130+ scores. Which led me to take Menza intake tests. I finished the test in half the prescribed time with a flawless result. I'm waiting for a full screening next month.
130+ Not bad! I got only 125+ It's really good to realize that you're not that stupid people told you...

Don’t run out of altitude and ideas all at the same time...!
Old 09-10-07, 09:09 AM

The last 1.5-2 months have been more of the same rollercoasterride-ish feelings.

The psycho&neuro tests came back negative which came as surprise to me, or not really since I didn't have a good feeling with the tests to begin with.

They were conducted by a professor which is regarded as the best in the field for my country. Sort of done by the best in the field since the biomedical test was done by his assitant and the psychological tests were done by an incapable psychologist.

The electrodes kept falling of my head during the preperations for the biomed (2 to 3 times) and then a little past half the test all electrodes fell of again... the professor was called an said enough data was collected to make a diagnosis. The week after I had a second appointment with the psychologist to do the psych-tests. She treated me as if I was 10 year old not paying attention. I had an overal bad feeling with the whole experience.

Two weeks later I had to go back to discuss the results. A convinced professor told me the 'good' news that I didn't have/had ADD. He concluded by saying that the source of my attention deficit wasn't ADD.

He then forwarded me to a psychologist working in the field. After 2 appointments this turned out to be an ever greater disaster... She was as bad as the first one, or even worse.
The only thing she suggested was to help me make a shedule... I am perfectly capable of making shedules... but I lack the ability to stick to them. Something she couldn't help me with.

Last week I went to an institute dealing with problems related to highly giftedness. The psychologist there couldn't believe the outcome of the tests performed at the professors practice. They clearly stated I'm very likely to have ADD and want to check the professors' results for errors. An individual intelligence test at the institute also had a higher outcome then the one taken by mensa.

So for now I'm awaiting an appointment with a psychiatrist to talk over the possibilities of therapy in combination with drugs.

I never knew finding some answers would be this hard to achieve.

Old 09-10-07, 12:01 PM
Contributor

TeLL will become famous soon enough
before I was diagnosed with ADD, I had seen 5 or 6 counsillors who told me I was just a lazy sh*t who should just make an effort and everything would work. finally I saw a psychiatrist who diagnosed me.
alot of people just don't want this to exist, simply place the blame on the person instead of accepting it. or the tests they took simply weren't done correctly.

finding awnsers about ADD has been the thoughest ride of my life, it'll take time but I'm sure that you'll get things right. ORRRR you get yourself a controlling girl who runs your life for you (although not much of a solution, it eliminates parts of the problems :P)