ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-07, 09:56 PM
Contributor

dyingInside is just really nicedyingInside is just really nicedyingInside is just really nicedyingInside is just really nice
Problems with onions???

OK, this sounds weird, but when I eat anything that contains RAW onions I get super-sleepy (like it's going to rain). I have to pick onions off of burgers and such, to avoid crashing in the middle of the day. When onions are fully cooked (sauteed/fried) then I don't feel so bad afterwards. This probably doesn't relate to ADD but it might. It could be that onions make me dehydrated, but why doesn't everybody get tired from eating them? Has anybody else noticed this?
Old 12-28-07, 10:02 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
Re: Problems with onions???

I am allergic to Onions I get this rash so I can understand the adverse reaction thing, but I can't eat them so my post really isn't much help. I just wanted to post because I understand.
Old 12-28-07, 10:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

lars is a jewel in the roughlars is a jewel in the roughlars is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingInside View Post
OK, this sounds weird, but when I eat anything that contains RAW onions I get super-sleepy
That is really amazing to me. I do not experience this, and I happen to really love onions.

I would love to learn more about this. I've never heard of anyone experiencing anything like this from onions.

Have you ever experienced anykind of allergic reaction like mspen1018 described?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
~ Dr. Seuss

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-07, 11:16 PM

Thanked 1,015 Times in 638 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

Yes, I have heard of onion allergies. I have also heard of people with fish allergies recently (new to me).

There are a lot of chemicals in onions: propenthial S-oxide (a sulfur compound that makes us cry), GCPS (another chemical), for starters
Old 12-30-07, 12:12 AM

lars is a jewel in the roughlars is a jewel in the roughlars is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensU_girl View Post
There are a lot of chemicals in onions: propenthial S-oxide (a sulfur compound that makes us cry), GCPS (another chemical), for starters
What chemical in onions causes sedation?

I've heard of onion allergies too, however I've never heard of anyone experiencing a sedating effect like the one described here.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
~ Dr. Seuss

Old 01-05-08, 06:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

mrsmith will become famous soon enough

It is quite common for people who mediate to become sensitive to onions, garlic and similar food (In addition to meet...).
I take it as a sign that it is bad, but most of us are not sensitive enough to notice
Old 06-02-08, 12:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

Wisefolly will become famous soon enough

I think allergies can cause fatigue, but I'm not sure. Cooking the onion breaks down the protein. When you have an allergic reaction (instead of a sensitivity), your body is reacting to the protein. If those proteins break down when cooked, then you won't have as much of a problem.

I am not allergic to apples, peaches, pears or a couple of other fruits that make my mouth itch. However, they have a protein similar to birch or ragweed (I forget which). Since I'm allergic to those things, I react to the fruits. However, I only have the problem with raw fruit, not cooked. My allergist told me that this is because the proteins break down when it is cooked.
Old 06-02-08, 01:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all

I love raw onions myself.

Interested in why they could make a person sleepy.
People with fructose intolerence are told to avoid onions according to this.

Another idea is fructan: "Vegetables with the highest quantity of fructans included garlic, artichoke, shallots, leek bulb, and onions".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructan

Quote:
Chocolate: 9.4%[3]

Onion: 1.1-10.1%[1]
Hmm that suggest chocolate would have to have the same effect in the amounts you likely eat. So fructan metabolism might not be it.

Another substance in onion is quercetin but its may even blocks substances involved in allergies. It mentions it can down-regulate histidine decarboxylase.
Which makes me think anti-histamine like action.

Interesting histidine decarboxylase knock-out mice had a hard time staying awake.

Quote:
mice lacking brain histamine are unable to remain awake, a prerequisite condition for responding to behavioral and cognitive challenges.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercetin

Quote:
Foods rich in quercetin include capers (1800mg/kg)[1], lovage (1700mg/kg), apples (440mg/kg), tea (Camellia sinensis), onions (higher concentrations of quercetin occur in the outermost rings.
Quote:
it inhibits both the manufacture and release of histamine

Atomoxetine increases histamine release and improves learning deficits in an animal model of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Methylphenidate and atomoxetine increase histamine release in rat prefrontal cortex.
Old 06-02-08, 03:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all

I forgot the cooked part. Onions get sweeter when cooked that could be the fructose polymer fructan breaking down. Suggesting fructan again.

Quercetin has a high melting point so I'm assuming its not destroyed in the cooking process. Different strains of onions may have different levels. And the ones being cooked maybe low in quercetin.

Various saponins in onions, "Among the tested compounds, elburzensosides C1/C2 and agapanthagenin showed the highest activity in reducing induced contractions as measured by the reduction of histamine release by about 50 %".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saponin

Quote:
Onion (red variety)
"As active compounds in onion extracts, thiosulfinates and cepaenes could be identified. They exert a wide spectrum of pharmacologic activities".

Five alk(en)ylsulfinothioic acid alk(en)yl-esters isolated from onions and four synthetic thiosulfinates inhibited 5-lipoxygenase of porcine leucocytes, histamine release and leukotriene B4 and C4 biosynthesis of human polymorphonuclear leucocytes, thromboxane B2 biosynthesis by human platelets and allergen- and PAF-induced bronchial obstruction of guinea-pigs. The anti-asthmatic and anti-inflammatory effects of onions depend in part on the thiosulfinate moiety.

Cooking onion certainly alters the concetration of some of its sulfur compounds. Based on the simple fact they get milder.

If we had a $50,000 HPLC machine we could fractionate raw onion and cooked onion extract and find what fraction caused the problem. Determine that it has been reduce in cooking. Then make a 50 mg sample or so and send it off for NMR analysis to figure out what compound it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to theta For This Useful Post:
dyingInside (06-03-08)
Old 06-03-08, 12:27 AM
Contributor

dyingInside is just really nicedyingInside is just really nicedyingInside is just really nicedyingInside is just really nice

Theta are you a biochemist?

Thanks for the info.

I was hoping to hear from anyone experiencing the same problem, but no luck yet. Obviously it's not something that ADDers commonly deal with. I don't have any allergic reaction, just extreme fatigue.

Evidently it's not fructose/fructan because I can eat chocolate till the cows come home and I won't feel tired (theobromine, I love you).
Old 06-03-08, 06:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Theta are you a biochemist?
No.

Quote:
I was hoping to hear from anyone experiencing the same problem, but no luck yet. Obviously it's not something that ADDers commonly deal with. I don't have any allergic reaction, just extreme fatigue.
Looking at not science based sources:

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/531839

Quote:
actually its a any meal has more onion get you fell sleepy!!!!
http://www.iris-publishing.com/sleep/curiouscures.html

Quote:
The Onion Cure

Cut up and onion and put it in a jar. As you go to bed, open the jar, sniff the onion and then close it and place it on your bedstand. Within 15 minutes you'll be asleep.

Source: Corvallis Gazette Times quoting Joan Wilen, 6/18/97
Comments
The normal amount of time it takes to fall asleep (sleep latency) is 10 to 20 minutes.
IT MAKES MY EYES WATER
The onion cure is a savior. IT has worked many times fir me. It only took me about eight minutes to fall sound asleep. The best part was that I stayed asleep all night. That is very hard to do when you have a very serious case of insomnia such as I do.
Some people think the opposite.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0191911AAfnuJk

Quote:
Fill a jar with onion slices and put the lid on in.
Each time you get sleepy while reading, shake the jar real hard and then take a solid wiff. You will burst into tears and it will suck. Then, go right back to reading.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0041019AAnytSA

Quote:
After taking your last meal of the day, take a half medium onion and chop it into small pieces, cut out a half medium tomato into small cubes spread a spoon of virgin olive oil and sprinkle just a bit of salt so that you can stand the taste and eat it immediately. No matter how hot you may find the onion, do not steam it. Let me know how you do tonight. God bless you.
http://www.wenwen.ws/health/diet-fit...-k14t01289.htm

Quote:
Onions do induce sleep. Onions are excellent for insomnia. It causes a lot of people to feel sleepy in about 10-20 minutes afater ingesting a reasonable raw protion of it. It is probably due to its high content of glutamic acid which is converted in the brain into glutamine--an aminoacid--which binds with vit. B6 to induce that sleepy state through the formation of a couple of brain hormones.

Look in the internet for Onion Cure for insomnia, and you will find many inputs regarding it

Glutamic acid can not pass the blood-brain-barrier last I heard so I doubt that
explanation.

http://naturecure.ygoy.com/2008/04/2...-for-insomnia/
http://www.tipking.co.uk/tip/5154.html

Some mention cooked onions have same effect.

Quote:
Relieve insomnia by eating a boiled onion at bedtime.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Home-Remed...mnia&id=213978

Quote:
A strange but effective treatment is eating onions during bedtime. This is known to induce sleep. Using either stewed Spanish onions or the garden variety of onions will do. Two or three of them are taken. If you cannot stomach this, turning them into onion soup or onion jelly is a recommended alternative. Onion soup is simple. Onion jelly on the other hand is made by shredding onions and simmering them in a little stock until tender. And then the onions are added into a pot of boiling water with a squeeze of lemon. These are all cooked together.

Since many people say merely whiffing raw onion does it and others say eating onions even cooked does it, I assume there is a compound in onions that can make some people sleepy. Pehaps cooking lowers that compound and one would have to eat more cooked onion for the same effect.
The Following User Says Thank You to theta For This Useful Post:
dyingInside (06-03-08)
Old 12-15-10, 03:17 AM

innerjon is on a distinguished road

I get this TOO!!! everyone thinks i'm crazy or says don't eat onions. I think you are right about them dehydrating you cause I feel it does the same to me. The taste won't go away for days and I fall asleep almost instantly. when i wake up i'm super thirsty. Some people say its the allium within the onions but this is greater in garlic and i don't get the same reaction to garlic or eggs either as some have suggested with the moving of heavy metals within the body.I will test the dehydration theory with asparagus due to its strong dehydration properties.
Old 12-15-10, 03:29 AM

innerjon is on a distinguished road

By the way i'm working on another theory related to this. Do you happen to have any autoimmune disorders, crohn's, psoriasis, etc.?
Old 11-10-17, 05:54 PM

Whimsy Wenzel is on a distinguished road

I realize this is a much older thread-but still wanted to reply- I too get extremely sleep when eating raw onions as do a couple othere in my family- in doing research online I discovered that onions have trypthamine (sp) same thing as in turkey - that can make you sleepy- its not an allergic reaction as others have referred to on this post- its a chemical in the onion that is affecting you.