ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-08, 05:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

timmtc is on a distinguished road
I need some help please

I'm currently a university student taking 20mg Ritalin SR up to 3 times a day. I've been on Ritalin for about a year and a half now. Initially I saw my doctor every month to get my scripts, but he said I can also call in a refil to the pharmacy, and he can fax over my script to them.

So I called the pharmacy requesting a refill for my perscription (which I have done for the past year) and they told me my doctor declined it. I called the doctors office and he's out of town until Friday. The receptionist said he may not be able to write these types of perscriptions anymore (mind you he is a GP, not a Psychiatrist). She said she would get back to me on Friday to let me know for sure.

First of all, I am pretty angry. The script I am refilling was filled on the 17 of January (they are a months supply but I tend to make each script last almost two months) so I am certainly not abusing it by any means. I am completely miffed right now. It's RIGHT in the middle of exam time - I have one on Friday, Monday, a 15 page paper on Thursday and a 15 page paper the following Monday all due. I have enough Ritalin to last me till this sunday.

I'm clueless as to why he would suddenly not be able to write these scrips anymore. What should I do? If I wait till Friday only to hear that he can't write these scripts, im stuck for Ritalin for next week which is midterm and paper week and I guess I would have to find a new doctor? Should I just go to my university student health centre and get a refill there, and get a referral to the campus Psychiatry clinic?

I am really confused at this point. I don't want to go behind my doctors back but if I wait until Friday to find out that he won't write this script anymore, im screwed for next week. On the other hand I would rather see a Psychiatrist who deals with students and ADHD, perhaps try a different combination of meds as I am not sure Ritalin is the best for me.

Help!