ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-28-08, 04:17 PM

SpasticCalliope is on a distinguished road
Help with a side effect - constantly rubbing the tongue on the back of the teeth

I just found this forum, so hello everyone. If this has already been asked, I'm sorry. I scanned through the threads and didn't see it, so here goes.

I'm ADD (obviously - why else would I be here?) and I'm currently taking adderall. For the most part I don't mind it. I like it better than concerta, anyway. Here's the thing, though. When I'm on it (it happened on concerta too - I'm guessing that any similar drug will do this) I seem to develop a nervous habit/nervous tic/something. I constantly rub the tip of my tongue against the back of my bottom teeth. That might not sound so bad, except that I do it non-stop for hours. Even if I notice I'm doing it and stop myself I start right back up the instant I start paying attention to something else. After I do this long enough, my tongue starts to really hurt. I've even ended up with a cut that took forever to heal.

So basically I'm wandering if anyone else has experienced this kind of side effect, and if they've discovered a way to deal with it. Does gum help? I've noticed that smoking does not help. Has anyone gotten this side effect on adderall but not another medicine?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpasticCalliope For This Useful Post:
dalek (06-30-08), NowIKnowWhy! (08-30-08)
Old 06-28-08, 09:24 PM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about
Re: Help with a side effect - constantly rubbing the tongue on the back of the teeth

I talked to my doctor about a month after starting adderall and added 20mg of celexa per day. The celexa reduced my anxiety tremendously.

More recently I've been taking clonidine to furthur reduce the physical anxiety from amphetamines. Clonidine has also decreased the amount I chew on my fingernails.

BobC
Old 06-28-08, 09:47 PM

centsster is on a distinguished road
Re: Help with a side effect - constantly rubbing the tongue on the back of the teeth

I noticed that I was biting my lips all the time, which I wasn't sure where it came from, but the doctor said it was a side effect of adderall. It went on for a few weeks. But since I lowered my dose, it's gone.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-08, 07:05 PM

dalek is on a distinguished road

I am so glad that I saw your post. I thought that I was kind of crazy because I do exactly the same thing as you. I constantly rub the tip of my tongue against the back of my lower teeth, but one tooth specifically. Constantly rubbing the back of the tooth up and down. I have done it so often that I have created cuts into the tip of the tongue and caused infections to take hold.

I was prescribed Adderall at 60 mg for approximately eight years. I think that this behavior is definitely a tic and it developed after about four to five years.

I am no longer taking Adderall (now on Provigil and starting Vyvanse) and the tic is very slowly diminishing after less than six months off Adderall. Hopefully, it will disappear someday.

The best thing about your post is now I now that I am not alone with this tic. I never brought it up with my doctor becuase I thought that he would think that I was "crazy" and/or stopping prescribing the Adderall.

I have Googled Adderall and amphetamine-related tics and never found anything relevant to my situation.
Old 07-03-08, 02:05 PM
Contributor

Nocturnal is on a distinguished road

Happens to me as well. I pick at my finger nails and any rough skin patches on my finger nails. Like you, I tell myself to stop then immediately once my mind is occupied by something else it starts up again. Very irritating. Unfortunately it hasn't really stopped over time.
Old 07-03-08, 10:51 PM

ttjc is on a distinguished road

Do you have a chipped filling/tooth? Or perhaps a rough edge on one of your teeth?
The Following User Says Thank You to ttjc For This Useful Post:
dalek (07-04-08)
Old 07-04-08, 03:15 AM

butterflywolfe is on a distinguished road

It causes "Tics" or Torette like symptoms. I move my nose a lot on it and I still do it off of it just not as much so I guess once the problem is there it doesn't go away. It's on the side effects on the paper the pharmacy gives you when you fill your script.
Old 07-04-08, 03:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all

Could be a stimulant stereotypic motor behavior. The thread below could be the samething.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54270
The Following User Says Thank You to theta For This Useful Post:
dalek (07-04-08)
Old 07-04-08, 08:32 AM

dalek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttjc View Post
Do you have a chipped filling/tooth? Or perhaps a rough edge on one of your teeth?

I do have a rough edge on one of my bottom teeth. It is really bizarre because I rub the back of that tooth with the the tip of my tongue for the very fact that it is rough. I ignore the other smooth teeth.

Chewing gum does help me stop the tic temporally.

Last edited by dalek; 07-04-08 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: add more
Old 07-04-08, 08:49 AM
Forum Guru

curseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the rough

The add meds may be making you notice it more. The dentist can file it smooth if it's minor. I have always chewed my nails, the inside of my lip, etc.
Old 07-04-08, 01:52 PM

ttjc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
I do have a rough edge on one of my bottom teeth. It is really bizarre because I rub the back of that tooth with the the tip of my tongue for the very fact that it is rough. I ignore the other smooth teeth.

Chewing gum does help me stop the tic temporally.
The reason I asked that is because before I started taking meds, I had a tooth that had a rough edge and I would constantly find the need to do exactly what you are doing. After I went to the dentist for a cleaning a couple of months ago and he filed it down, I stopped!

I'm just learning about the tics that come with the meds now. It could be just a tic.
Old 07-06-08, 07:46 AM
Contributor

edge of reason has a spectacular aura aboutedge of reason has a spectacular aura about

i have noticed i do this sometimes. Shrugs. No big deal. i also catch myself chewing when im not eating anything. It isnt like it's a really noticeable movement, so i dont worry about anyone pointing it out. Compared to the possible side effects one can have, i prefer to have something as harmless as this.
Old 07-07-08, 02:40 PM
Contributor

Nocturnal is on a distinguished road

Yeah I also get random muscle tics. Like I'll twitch. Sometimes my arm will move, my chest muscle will twitch, etc. It's weird but I kind of have gotten used to it although it still annoys me at times.
Old 08-25-08, 10:53 AM

Bethanne is on a distinguished road

OMG...this is a HUGE issue for me. I do this too and my tongue always has one or two sores on the tip because of it. It is soooo painful! I'm in constant pain and I don't know what to do.

I currently take 30mg of adderall once a day.
Old 08-25-08, 03:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

merlin8015 will become famous soon enough

I'm on Focalin and I do this once and a while