ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-08, 02:11 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

DesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really nice
Talking Hello from Tucson, Arizona

I ran across this site when doing a search for Strattera and side effects. After browsing around a bit, I found that to be notified of new stuff I would have to register.

I explored for about an hour, I signed up! Seems like a GREAT resource.

My brief history (ok, I'll try to be brief):
Now that I know more about ADHD, I realize I had it since childhood.

I read about it as an adult when it got an official name, but since almost everything referred to hyperactive children, I paid little attention to it.

One day a friend of mine casually remarked "you know you really should see a doctor about your ADD because you'd be a lot less frustrated." I said "I don't have ADD" because I still envisioned children running around bouncing off the walls. He said "yes, I'm pretty sure you do." Well, it turns out he knew what he was talking about. He'd been diagnosed and treated and it turned his life around. He just didn't talk about it before.

So he pointed me to a resource on the internet that provided a brief self-assessment. It told me that I did exhibit some symptoms of ADD. So I searched more and found a more extensive test. I took that and it concluded that I did, indeed, have adult ADD. It even figured out the subtype. It recommended I see "a professional".

So I printed the test and the answers. I went to see my family doctor and said "I think I might have ADD". He said "No, you don't because you're sitting there perfectly calmly." I told him I'd taken a test on the internet and he said "oh the internet is worthless" and moved on to discussing my allergies. Yes, I switched doctors.

I called my insurance company to see what people do when they think they have ADD. They pointed me to a psychologist for evaluation. She looked over the test, asked more questions, and we discussed it. She concluded I did have a strong indication of ADHD. She said we could do "coping techniques" or she could refer me to a psychiatrist for medical treatment, or we could do a combination. I thought pills sounded like an easy fix, so I went with that option.

Finding a psychiatrist that: (1) worked with my insurance, (2) was familiar with ADHD, (3) was taking new patients, (4) handled adults, and (5) was near me was a HUGE challenge. But once I found one, she was GREAT! (This was when I lived in Denver, Colorado)

First, we tried Wellbutrin. It was fairly new and said we might kill 2 birds with one pill (smoking cessation was the other bird). It did nothing for my attention or my smoking. It did give me incredibly bizarre dreams.

So she gave me Strattera. I took 40mg, once in the morning and again in the afternoon.

In just a few days, I noticed that it was working! I'd always driven myself nuts finding things that I hadn't put back where they belonged. I went searching for a hammer that I'd used a few days prior. I was stunned that I'd actually put it back where it belongs! (The last place I looked, of course.)

After a couple of weeks, however, I realized it was causing me a quite distressing side effect. Rather than explain the details, I'll just use the medical term for it: anorgasmia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorgasmia

The psychiatrist then suggested trying one of several stimulants, which had a proven history. I declined because I was getting organized to move and didn't want to be doing drug experiments in the midst of that.

After moving, I just contended with my ADD. That worked for a while. I again realized how much frustration I was going through and started the "doctor search" all over again. It was worse in a smaller city.

I finally resolved that (I hope the insurance does, in fact, cover this doctor). The new doctor suggested trying a stimulant because of the success record. After explaining my reluctance about stimulants, he agreed to try a lower dose of Strattera - 25mg this time. Maybe the side effect would be gone.

So I've been taking it for a few days now. I haven't had an "opportunity" to see if the old side effect happens. But what I am experiencing is a slowness in urination. I found (from this site) that it's pretty common. I am noticing a reduction in the ADD "symptoms", which is great. If this happened before when I took it, it wasn't as pronounced.

It's mostly just annoying that it takes longer. I'm supposed to take just the morning dose for 4 days, then add the afternoon dose. If the urination slowness gets worse, I'll call the doc. Otherwise I'll just contend with it until our next visit. The results are worth some minor annoyance.
OK, sorry. That wasn't so brief.

So if Strattera ends up being not the best choice, I guess I'll have to try a stimulant. What worries me about that now is that I had a minor heart arrythmia 6 months ago -- atrial fibrillation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrial_fibrillation. I'm concerned that it might recur if I take a simulant. I guess that will be my next thing to explore on this site.

I think this site is great because of the actual patient information. I have learned that the drug manufacturers don't give you all of the information about the products. They provide you with some basic stuff, but they shield you from LOTS of stuff. And, sadly, many doctors rely only on the drug info from the manufacturers.

Another great site I discovered is http://askapatient.com/ This site is actual experiences (good and bad) that people have when taking different medicines. Obviously someone is more likely to report BAD experiences than good ones, so keep that in mind. Not all drugs are listed there but that's because no one has taken the time to make a new entry. It's not the site's fault -- it's the user's fault.

So that's me. I'm off to explore the site some more. And thanks to everyone for their contributions here!

Dave
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DesertDave For This Useful Post:
Bluerose (08-01-08), Grafter (07-28-08), Louder Than Love (07-28-08), mykill (07-28-08)
Old 07-28-08, 02:12 PM
Contributor

planetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Hello from Tucson, Arizona

Hellooooo Dave.

Dave (planet)

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
The Following User Says Thank You to planetdave For This Useful Post:
DesertDave (07-28-08)
Old 07-28-08, 02:15 PM
Contributor

mykill has a spectacular aura aboutmykill has a spectacular aura about

Welcome, Dave!
The Following User Says Thank You to mykill For This Useful Post:
DesertDave (07-28-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-08, 02:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to ADDForums!

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mary For This Useful Post:
DesertDave (07-28-08)
Old 07-28-08, 03:29 PM

Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,807 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It did give me incredibly bizarre dreams.
You too? My husband stumped his psyc when he mentioned this cause the doc had never heard of that side effect before. As for (a lot) of the rest, you sound just like him. If it weren't for the fact that you're two hours south of us I'd swear he registered and didn't tell me.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Lark For This Useful Post:
DesertDave (07-28-08)
Old 07-28-08, 03:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Louder Than Love is a jewel in the roughLouder Than Love is a jewel in the roughLouder Than Love is a jewel in the rough

Welcome Dave, Nice to meet you.
Old 07-28-08, 04:48 PM
Contributor

lostranslation is a jewel in the roughlostranslation is a jewel in the roughlostranslation is a jewel in the rough

Glad you're here, DesertDave!

Dx: Alcoholism, ADHD, PTSD, BP II, and PMDD.

Meds: Ritalin, Lamictal and Zyprexa PRN. Med list may change without notice, because I don't notice stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to lostranslation For This Useful Post:
DesertDave (07-28-08)
Old 07-28-08, 07:21 PM

xstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome, welcome, welcome!! what more can i say, i couldn't read your post bit too long but never mind! glad you've joined us
Old 07-29-08, 07:14 AM
Forum Guru

curseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the rough

Welcome Dave!!!
Old 08-01-08, 10:30 AM

Thanked 3,337 Times in 1,909 Posts
Bluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond repute