ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Exercise
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-08, 06:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,349 Times in 1,288 Posts
mADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome To The ADD Forums Get Fit Club!

Hello,

I'd like to welcome anyone that wants to join us in getting fit. Exercise is more than just keeping or getting your body into a healthy state, it also releases dopamine, something we ADDers often need in our brain chemistry. This group is created to assist and encourage one another to get fit and/or lose weight. We will be posting our weight gains and losses, along with listing the days that we've exercised above and beyond the regular daily grind of life. Losing weight is great, but exercise is important regardless, even if we don't have weight to lose.

So, tell others, and join in with us in getting fit.

Below are the rules for the group.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to mADD mike For This Useful Post:
auntchris (10-19-08), BouCoupDinkyDau (10-18-10), bumblebe (03-01-09), David (01-02-09), Grafter (08-18-08), Ian (12-02-08), irishdel (02-03-09), LostInTheStars (10-25-08), meadd823 (08-19-08), meriellyn (10-21-08), natez311 (10-25-08), nsterrett (10-04-08), Prusilusken (08-20-08), RamblinDad (10-13-08), SolarLife (09-28-08), tocamexr2 (10-01-08), toodistracted (09-19-08)
Old 08-17-08, 06:14 PM

mADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Welcome To The ADD Forums Get Fit Club!

ADD Forums Get Fit Rules

1. Weight changes must be posted each Friday. We don't need to know your current or starting weight, just post a + or - and number of pounds gained or lost. If you stayed the same, just put a zero.

2. Please list the days that you exercised above and beyond what you normally would. Regular work that you do around the house, or work that you do secularly, doesn't count. We are looking to encourage one another to work out more than we normally would, after all, it is our current situation that is a result of the work we currently do, so we all need some extra attention to exercise.
A typical post on Friday might look like this:

mADD mike
-1 for the week
Worked out: M,Th, F, Su

See, it doesn't have to be anything complicated. You can abbreviate as you wish, and you're welcome to tell the story of your week as well in your post. Let us know what you had to overcome, what you liked, something that worked for you, or whatever you like.

3. Everyone starts with a black medal in their signature for being part of this group. You stay in this group, and advance in medals, not with weight loss, but with exercise. We want to know that you are working to get fit. Of course, losing weight should come with it, but even those that are their ideal weight can benefit from exercise, especially as ADDers. We don't want to discourage anyone from joining that wants to join just because they don't need to lose weight. Some of us do, some don't, but we all need exercise regardless.

So, if you fail to report on Friday or to exercise for 2 consecutive weeks you are still welcome to work with us, but your medal will go back to the black medal. If you can't post on Friday because you are out of town, or just forget, just post sometime during the week and I'll look for it, but try to post on Fridays to make it easier on me to keep track. We hope to encourage one another to be persistent, even if just one day a week, and to report so as to encourage others.

Medals, based on you reporting exercise on Fridays, will go as follows:
First 2 weeks = Black
2-4 weeks = Green
5-8 weeks = Blue
9-12 weeks = Bronze
13-16 weeks = Silver
24 weeks+ = Gold

I'll work on something really special for a year, but let's start here to kick things off.

Here is the url to your black medal to kick things off.
To make it work correctly, do the following:

1. Click on the following link for the medal.
2. Copy the full url that is displayed at the top of your browser.
3. Then use that url in your signature, under option 1, and it will show correctly.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...ckMedal150.jpg

You can also put a link in your signature to this thread. By doing so, you are encouraging others to come see what we're doing and maybe they will join in too. Something like:

Come join other ADDers in getting fit!

4. This isn't a rule, but encourage others that you may know to participate. A person can join at any time they like. A person is also welcome to leave at anytime they like, and will go back to a black medal if they decide to join in again. Together we can help others to make an improvement in their health, both physically and mentally.

Last edited by Grafter; 08-19-08 at 09:01 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mADD mike For This Useful Post:
moss man (01-03-09), tocamexr2 (10-01-08)
Old 08-17-08, 06:46 PM

Now, to kick things off, our first weigh-in will be on Friday, 8/22/08.

So, go ahead and weigh yourself and we'll just have a short week to kick things off. Feel free to post as you wish in the thread and we can all keep an eye on it to encourage one another.

If you have any questions or comments about this group or idea, just send me a pm and I'll be glad to help.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-08, 09:28 PM
Contributor

20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds fun. So we post to this thread?

Follow this to the ADD Forums Get Fit Club:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...682#post627682
Old 08-17-08, 09:43 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough

sounds good....i am game.....I pooped out with my exercise today.....

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 08-17-08, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20trackedmind View Post
Sounds fun. So we post to this thread?
Yep, post right here and I'll be keeping track of things for everyone. We'll kick things off officially tomorrow. I've got my exercise plans together for tomorrow, I just hope have the energy to do anything after work. My wife and I have 3 large homes to clean tomorrow. Combining the 3 houses, we have roughly 12 bedrooms, 3 kitchens, and 10 bathrooms to clean. Add in living rooms, great rooms, play rooms, basements, etc., and we have plenty to do. Oh, and we have an office to clean first thing tomorrow morning.

So, if I can muster up the strength to exercise above and beyond that, surely others can too. You would think that I was in good shape with all the cleaning, but being tired afterward and completely sedentary, along with eating out all the time because we both work quite a bit, and you put some pounds on. Well, I do anyway, my wife, not so much.

Now that I've said all of that, I guess I have to exercise tomorrow, huh.
Old 08-17-08, 10:09 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough

Yes it sounds like you've made a commitment Mike to exercise tomorrow......ME TOO......I am going to take a walk during my break at work....whether or not my co-worker wants to join me.....

Here's to exercise!

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 08-18-08, 08:37 AM
Forum Guru

curseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the rough

Okay I made my own thread about what I plan to do today. I'm going to try, but I'm not giving up my Friday pizza-I'll just eat one less slice, soon to be Thursday pizza as that's going to be hubby's day to be responsible for dinner when nursing clinicals start next week, and that's my 9 hour day.
Old 08-18-08, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curseandablessi View Post
Okay I made my own thread about what I plan to do today. I'm going to try, but I'm not giving up my Friday pizza-I'll just eat one less slice, soon to be Thursday pizza as that's going to be hubby's day to be responsible for dinner when nursing clinicals start next week, and that's my 9 hour day.
C&B, don't worry about the pizza. This is about exercising, which is beneficial for us all regardless of diet. I'm certainly not discouraging eating better, and I myself intend to try to do so. That is a huge downfall for me in losing weight, but if I didn't change my diet and still worked out, it is progress, and some shots of dopamine for me. So, I'm still better off just exercising. Don't think you're the only one to eat some pizza. I'm an addict to pizza, and Italian food in general, though I'll try to do better.
Old 08-18-08, 09:25 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

justcallmedorie has a spectacular aura aboutjustcallmedorie has a spectacular aura about

Ok, sooo, I am working the Couch to 5K program, and this is my 5th week. I plan on hitting the pavement around 5:30 in the morning (dog in tow). I hope to walk/run Tuesday through Friday of this week, weather permitting and by the end of the week I should be up to running 20 minutes without stopping. Ho ho ho, we'll see. Tomorrow is warmup walk for 5 min, run 5 min, walk 3 min, run/walk for two more "sets" then cooldown for 5 min. The next day will be warmup walk for 5 min, run 8 min, walk 5 min, run 8 min, then cooldown for 5 min. I plan to do that for 2 days, then Friday is the 20 minutes of running day. AAACK! I can do it, I can do it!

Just for the record, I quit smoking on May 26th and I follow a low carb way of eating.

I look forward to exercising with you guys! Thanks so much for this thread. (I really want a gold medal!!!)
Old 08-18-08, 12:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

amythyst will become famous soon enough

Sign me up! This is such a great idea and I look forward to sharing the experience and getting/giving the support we need to reach our goals.

I've been "working on" getting fit and eating right for way too long now...although I am much more active and eat healthier than I ever have I haven't made much progress in fitness or weight loss because I never stick with it long enough...I work out a week or two and then I stop for a month or two.

Follow this to the ADD Forums Get Fit Club:
Old 08-18-08, 12:52 PM

Thanked 1,558 Times in 770 Posts
Grafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant future

Oh, yea. I'm in. I'll be getting a goal plan up sometime this evening.

I'm not so concerned about weight loss as I am about getting the benefits of keeping active.

I was doing pretty well until about a month ago. I'm ready to get back to it.
Old 08-18-08, 02:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

qhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in! I've been wanting to build up a habit of exercising since forever and I REALLY want to get extremely fit.

Still don't know what I'll be able to do since everything in one of my ankles got tore up and I still can't hike/run/jump rope...
School is a society sanctioned torture system designed to rob people of their sanity and to give them a falsely inflated ego upon completion where one gets a piece of paper saying "I sat on my rear in crowded classrooms for x years and only spit up what they told me to". --me
Old 08-18-08, 03:06 PM
Contributor

Colin is on a distinguished road

I have gone to being fit enough to cycle around scotland in 1993, to being too tired/(sleepy) to get dresed for the last 5 years so as a result my fitness is zero.

I might get meds soon though so that wil take away the tiredness.
Old 08-18-08, 07:41 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

justcallmedorie has a spectacular aura aboutjustcallmedorie has a spectacular aura about

Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me...when I got home I decided to do my Couch to 5K run/walk intervals on the treadmill so I would have them done for today (I'll do the same thing outside in the morning). I really really want a gold medal...did I mention that already-LOL?