ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-08, 08:13 PM

Dangchil is on a distinguished road
My life has been quite difficult so far - Dangchill from Idaho

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website. I'm a 38 year old father and husband. I'm a teacher at a University. I have a very peculiar symptom and don't know exactly what causes this. Different doctors have said differently; some OCD and others ADD. I've tried SSRIs, but it did not work at all. I've used Dexedrine but that gave me numerous sleepless nights and serious anxiety. Besides, the symptom did not dissipate much. This is my symptom by the way:

I want to focus well when I study. I consciously tell myself that I need to focus when I read. Somehow my sub-consciousness revolts. While my eyes follow sentences in the book, I keep bothered by objects on and around the desk. Anything that is around distracts me. For instance, a pencil next to my book distracts me. So, even if I read a book, I am not actually reading it because I cannot focus on what I read. I pick up the pencil and put it away. Now, a cup bothers me. I put away the cup, then page numbers on the book bothers me. Taking notes, I think, might help me. When I start taking notes, my fingernails bother me. It is a constant battle. I want to cut off my fingernails and put them away.

This happens not only when I study, but also occurs when I read the newspaper, take a walk, or play tennis. I've had this scourge for the past 20 years. I always wanted to be a scholar, and I've been pretending that I was good at what I do. Now, however, I'm somewhat tired. I wonder whether being a professor is really a right thing for me or not. I'm just tired.

Does anyone have a similar symptom? Has any of you heard about people who have this type of problem? Long time ago, my psychologist made a presentation of my symptom at a big conference hoping to find any professional who has dealt with this, but she could not find any.

Any kind of advice or information would help. Twenty years…. I think I have reason to be tired.
Old 07-21-08, 08:25 PM
Forum Guru

curseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the rough
Re: My life has been quite difficult so far

welcome to the forum
Old 07-21-08, 09:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to ADDForums!

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-08, 02:20 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,251 Times in 8,589 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forums Dangchil.

You could check this thread http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21320

See if any of this matches your experience.
Old 07-22-08, 09:00 AM

Thanked 3,337 Times in 1,909 Posts
Bluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond repute

Old 07-26-08, 10:26 PM

debbiejj is on a distinguished road
Re: My life has been quite difficult so far - Dangchill from Idaho

I believe from your letter that you are getting ready to turn the tables on " your pretend life style."

You have had it! Ain't playing this game anymore. Watching people have genuine fun, and your screaming inside while wearing your, "I'm having fun too face. " ????

I've seen 20+ doctors and been prescribed 100's of meds.
(A few were FUN, and immediatly recalled ).

I'm from Pittsfield, IL. About 45 mins. from Springfield. If I told which direction, it would be a lie.! Oh yeah, just for fun i'm dyslexic. FUN. it's inside you, trying to get out. just got to get it out of the breech position!

I
Old 07-27-08, 10:37 AM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forums dangchill. Yes, distractibility is a hallmark trait of ADHD.

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 09-14-08, 09:43 AM
Jr Member

dreamdweller is on a distinguished road

Difficulty concentrating and distractablility are classic ADD symptoms, however you are saying you are University professor, which presumably means you have a PhD or a similar post grad qualification. So I am curious as to how did you manage to get so far with you r formidable concentration problems. It is not that I doubt that lief is hard for you in this department. It is just I am struggling with the same problems and it looks like I will have to give up on my MA since I can't complete my assignments on time.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 09-17-08, 04:57 PM

JenB is on a distinguished road

I have never experienced that exact symptom, but often I will find I have been reading something but have no idea what I have just read. I will go back and read it again, but the same thing happens. The only solution that has come close to working for me is to read it out loud in sections and then have a conversation with myself about what I just read. Almost as if I am explaining to someone else what I am reading.

Also you said you are 'pretending to be good at what you do' but are you pretending to be good at it or are you actually good at it? Do others think you are good at it? I know I would have done a lot better in school if I had more professors that understood what it is like to learn with ADD!