ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-09, 08:27 AM

Gandalf is on a distinguished road
toe walking

Hi,

I've been a toe walker for as long as I can remember. When I was young my parents took me to doctors to get help. The doctors decided the best option was to wait and see. Perhaps I would grow out of it! I haven't (now 21). I occasionally notice adult toe walkers in public (huge calf muscles). Are there any toe walkers on these forums who have found answers to why they toe walk?

I have been diagnosed with ADHD but there seems to be little linking toe walking and ADHD.

Thanks
Old 01-26-09, 08:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

elegy is a jewel in the roughelegy is a jewel in the roughelegy is a jewel in the rough
Re: toe walking

I don't constantly tip toe, but I do it a LOT. When I don't have shoes on, I pretty much always walk on my toes. I'm also very light and thin, so I scare the crap outta my family walking around the house! Lol. I'll walk up to people and they'll turn around and BAM I'm just there. They can't hear me, heh.

I worked with kids with autism and other developmental disorders a couple years ago, and there was a little girl who, among other things, would only walk on her tippy-toes. Constantly. It actually became a physical problem, because her legs weren't developing right.

"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. "
Old 01-26-09, 04:41 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

You know, I'd never really thought of that. . .but yeah, I actually do walk on my toes quite often. Not tip-toes, but from the ball of my foot forward. The heel doesn't hit the ground at all.

Wonder why that is?

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-09, 05:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,632 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Toe walking is, believe it or not, a physical characteristic of neurologic disorder. I used to wonder about it too. I was a service assistant in a group home for developmentally disabled adults while I was in nursing school. Easily 80% of my clients had the tendency to one degree or another. What I discovered was that it was a trait in those whose fundamental issue was neuro-developmental and most prevalent in our autistic clients. It was not a common trait among clients whose brain injury occurred after birth.

Next time someone disbelieves you when you say that you have ADHD, you have a subtle and not widely known "proof".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (01-26-09), keliza (12-25-12), Lunacie (08-12-10)
Old 03-02-09, 07:52 PM

nurse11 is on a distinguished road

I am 19 years old and have always walked on my toes when barefoot- walking, standing, whatever! It always felt much more natural, and I never knew whether to attribute it to dancing for 8 years or my innate desire to be taller (I'm just 5' tall), so it is very interesting that people are correlating this with ADHD. (I was just diagnosed this past summer, but have had symptoms throughout my life. I'm currently taking Concerta 27mg.)

Also, I simply cannot walk slowly. I hate wasting time, and I always walk fast. At least I give others a laugh when I'm seeing fast-walking across campus on my short legs
The Following User Says Thank You to nurse11 For This Useful Post:
gemini-dreamer (12-25-12)
Old 03-02-09, 08:41 PM
Contributor

Johnnny will become famous soon enough

i walk on my toes a lot, sure has made my ankles and calves strong
Old 03-02-09, 08:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

firstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to behold

Also, I simply cannot walk slowly. I hate wasting time, and I always walk fast. At least I give others a laugh when I'm seeing fast-walking across campus on my short legs

I walk on my heels in shoes but toes barefoot. I've only met one other person who walked faster than me. He is much taller with longer legs! My mom was 4'11" and could keep up with my dad (6'1"). She taught me...

My mom and I are both inattentives...

Visit the Exercise Forum here to check out the Get Fit Club, a group of people changing their lives for the better by caring for themselves enough to exercise.

"Spend a day in my head before you tell me what my problem is!"
Old 03-03-09, 04:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

Zerbinetta is a jewel in the roughZerbinetta is a jewel in the roughZerbinetta is a jewel in the rough

*Points up* What he said, heels in shoes, toes barefoot. I went to see a fysiotherapist who made me demonstrate my walk on a treadmill:

"No, not on your toes, just walk normally."
"But this is normal for me."
"Right..."

And in a slight variation on a theme explored by several others in this thread: before I started my medication, I was literally incapable of cycling slowly. I used to bike a little over 5 miles (8 km) to school and back every day at breakneck speed; my quadriceps were such that I had to buy my jeans two sizes too large at the waist, or I wouldn't be able to pull them up over my thighs.
Old 03-03-09, 06:06 PM
Forum Guru

Logic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to all

I go up on my toes when I'm frustrated, agitated, angry, or when I miss meds (my flatmate likens this to 'a cat on a hot tin roof'), once I settle down, I begin walking 'properly' again. Apparently, I used to run about on my toes when I was a toddler too.

Logic
Old 03-03-09, 08:45 PM

s_mitchell is on a distinguished road

I also walk on my toes all the time. I thought it was from wearing heals but now that I read the other posts I'm not so sure.

I also speed walk everywhere. I'm not so bad driving but walking is definitely always at top speed.
Old 03-04-09, 05:31 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 20,272 Times in 8,238 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought I had problems with all my sinews being too short or inflexible. I can barely even touch the ground with my fingertips with my legs straight.
The same goes for my hands. They dont bend back easily.

Humans are caterpillars who do not know they can become butterflies.
Old 03-04-09, 06:40 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,464 Times in 641 Posts
FinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to behold

I have a tendency to walk on OTHER people's toes, which really gets me into a lot of trouble in crowded places....
hanikamiya (12-24-12)
Old 03-04-09, 09:13 AM

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

“Persistent tiptoe gait after the age of 2 years in children without discernible neurological or orthopedic abnormality is termed "idiopathic toe walking" (ITW). This diagnosis is made after other disease processes have been excluded. The most common cause of toe walking in childhood is cerebral palsy; however, the differential diagnosis of toe walking includes conditions such as muscular dystrophies, tethered cord syndrome, diastematomyelia, and other neuromuscular diseases. Typically, patients with ITW commence this toe-to-toe gait at the initiation of walking, which occurs at a normal age. There is a positive family history in about 30% of cases.
If left untreated, this pattern of gait has a tendency to persist, and although initially, there is full passive dorsiflexion, an equinus contracture develops with time.”

Phaedrus

The Following User Says Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
firstdesserts (03-04-09)
Old 03-04-09, 05:31 PM
Jr Member

Briebird is on a distinguished road

I DO IT TOO. Pretty much all the time when I'm barefoot, but not in shoes. It feels a lot more natural and stronger somehow?

Wow, amazing. I had no idea this was so prevalent. I thought I was the only one or at least one of the few :c)
Old 03-06-09, 03:12 AM

Thanked 4,518 Times in 1,785 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: toe walking

My husband calls me "tippy" because I always walk on my toes when barefoot. If I think of it, I can drop to my heels, but I'll always end up on my toes when I stop concentrating on it. I walk normally in shoes.

I used to think that I did this because my father objected to what he called "elephant feet," i.e., loud heels thumping around on the upstairs, but now I think that it's sensory. I feel the floor less when it's just the toes.

I also walk extremely fast. I can only think of one person who can outwalk me. My 6'0" hubby complains that he can't keep up with me. I'm fine getting stuck behind slow drivers, but God forbid anyone walk slowly in front of me. People make me insane in grocery stores.

Here's a funny thing to add for those of you who are horse owners. Both of my horses were/are exactly the same. They outwalk and outtrot everything around them. My first horse was a 15.2 hand mutt who could trot faster than most other horses cantered. And my current horse, a 14.3 hand Morgan, can outwalk and outtrot any horse in the barn. She's 24 years old and she still just FLIES! Trail riding is a nightmare because she wants to be with her herd but can't stand to walk as slowly as the other horses do. Heh heh.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.