ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-23-09, 01:39 PM

BushidoSamurai is on a distinguished road
Re: Ways on how to amplify or increase the effects and benefits of stimulants drugs!!

I disagree when people say not to eat before or after taking adderall. People build up tolerance b/c they aren't getting proper nutrition. They get rail thin and look really unhealthy.

Don't expect to get all high. You're just suppose to feel alert or like you mind is completely awake and working.

I've been on addy for 3 months. I still feel that high feeling the first 2 hours. But i eat very healthy throughout the week and workout also.
Old 03-23-09, 09:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

fredonian will become famous soon enough
Re: Ways on how to amplify or increase the effects and benefits of stimulants drugs!!

All things in moderation, I've found there are healthy ways to do such with positive benefits. Keep in mind however that if one allows themselves to get carried away into something unhealthy or overstreatching (such as too much coffee or increasing doseage) you will ultimately end up the looser in the longrun. I'm not a doctor and what I state is only what has worked for me. What worked for me, may not work for others. What has helped me are the following.

1: aerobic exercise (20-30 minutes) daily
2: healthy diet with salads and fruits
3: drink plenty of water during the day
4: get ample ammounts of sleep at nightime
5: avoid taking (xr) doses 6-8 hours before bedtime
6rug vacations during weekends or select times during the month help stint tolerance for some.
7: Coffee or caffeine on occassion but only in moderation (TAKE NOTE THE FOLLOWING)

Coffee may be a fair booster for some as it has been for me, but ONLY IN MODERATION. It can easily be overdone as I've come to learn. Caffeine may enhance the side effects and mild euphoria of adderall which can make it easier for one to push their limits. One may end up staying up too late (or worse taking a late dose of adderall) and missing out on good nights sleep. Initially this may seem to be sustainable for a period of time, but ultimately one will eventually wither down into a pathetic and counter-productive state of being.

Just my 10cents worth...........
Old 04-06-09, 06:52 PM
Jr Member

traveller is on a distinguished road

I find that physical activity helps me to increase the effects of Adderall when I feel like my concentration is fading but it's not been more than 5 hours since the last dose, so it's not yet time to take another one.
Basically when taking Adderall, I end up working in front of the computer for extended periods of time so I'm just sitting and not moving at all (except when going to the restroom). So every hour or two I'll try to break myself away from what I'm doing and run around the room for a bit or something stupid like that. Or I'll take a short walk outside. Of course this is beneficial not just when taking Amphetamines, but I've noticed that with Adderall, the good effects are way more noticable, i.e. by concentration will increase a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to traveller For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (08-25-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-09, 07:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

hermitpermit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
I find that physical activity helps me to increase the effects of Adderall when I feel like my concentration is fading but it's not been more than 5 hours since the last dose, so it's not yet time to take another one.
Basically when taking Adderall, I end up working in front of the computer for extended periods of time so I'm just sitting and not moving at all (except when going to the restroom). So every hour or two I'll try to break myself away from what I'm doing and run around the room for a bit or something stupid like that. Or I'll take a short walk outside. Of course this is beneficial not just when taking Amphetamines, but I've noticed that with Adderall, the good effects are way more noticable, i.e. by concentration will increase a lot.
Agreed. Some people need to move, and our society almost casts shame on the kid who can't sit still. I knew a guy who would play lacrosse, then run 5-7 miles every day because he was just so hyper. Office buildings are terrible.
Old 04-08-09, 10:26 PM
Jr Member

traveller is on a distinguished road

Sitting still is not a problem by itself when I'm taking Adderall -- I can sit still for hours. What I meant was that after sitting still for a while, I often feel like it's wearing off, i.e. I'll feel kinda tired and my thoughts become slightly clouded again.

If that happens, I'll get up and walk around for a bit or do some other physical activity (like household chores when I'm working at home). After that, when I sit back down at the computer, my concentration is back to normal and I feel like the pills just started working.
Old 04-08-09, 10:46 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,566 Times in 2,692 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitsalad2005 View Post
There's been a lot of times that I seemed to make my adderall last longer simply by staying busy and focused. For me, it kinda seems like I can make the beneficial effects (being alert/concentrated etc) last a surprisingly long time if I really focus.
I've found this too! (with ritalin), once I really get focused on something, I can sometimes work 2-3 hours after I normally would have felt the meds wear off.

As for increasing the effect of stimulants, I drink coffee and tea, but I've never noticed a synergistic effect with the ritalin.

If you feel the need to increase the effect of your medication, maybe you're not on the right dosage?
The Following User Says Thank You to APSJ For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (08-25-09)
Old 04-09-09, 01:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Yo does anybody notice a change in side effects when we do these things? (are they not so bad?)
Old 04-14-09, 10:59 AM

drphoebejigs is on a distinguished road

If I haven't had at least 8 hours of the sleep, the drugs will not work.

Vacations are really important--even if they're only a few days.

Try to have food in your stomach.

Exercise is also important.

Honestly, I think the worst to do is drink coffee, combine with other stimulants. That's what drug addicts do. Just try to live a healthy life as if you weren't on the drug. . . It's supposed to supplement you, not the other way around.
Old 04-14-09, 02:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

RecruitDir is on a distinguished road

With integrity anything that will prolong the drug beyond it's intended period of effect or make it stronger is abuse. If the dose isn't cutting it go to your doctor and get a perscription increase. If s/he will not up the dose, there is a reason find out why and pursue your recourse. If your request is to avoid substances which will prematurely neutralize the theraputic benefit - this is a different story. But I am not comfortable that the latter is the intended purpose of this thread. Taking magnesium with your evening vitamin to replentish what is lost is fine, taking it before a dose to make it stronger or last longer is ill advised.
Old 04-14-09, 08:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

Kerstin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drphoebejigs View Post
If I haven't had at least 8 hours of the sleep, the drugs will not work.
YES. Adderall will somewhat help a bad night's sleep, but the effectiveness will be SIGNIFICANTLY decreased.

I agree with the above posters about simply living a healthy life will help you bet the most benefit from Adderall, or any medicine for that matter.
Old 04-15-09, 12:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecruitDir View Post
With integrity anything that will prolong the drug beyond it's intended period of effect or make it stronger is abuse......

Taking magnesium with your evening vitamin to replentish what is lost is fine, taking it before a dose to make it stronger or last longer is ill advised.
This is just to cut down on the needed Adderall, with hopes of lessening the side effects. I don't get why people freak out whenever someone does something not advised by a doctor. Would you listen to your auto mechanic if he told you you needed a list of 10 repairs? Then why should I give my doctor that authority? Fine, call it abuse.
Old 04-15-09, 01:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

KillZone can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecruitDir View Post
Demoez,

You mentioned that after a break the euphoria starts back up; however, euphoria is a negative side-effect, just ask any perscribing Dr. I'd feel better if your response was I can focus better and pay attention to detail on a lesser dosage. It sounds as if the HIGH is being chased - which is an abusive behavior. The med is only a tool.
Lol... Euphoria is listed as a normal side effect. The bad side effects are something like heart palpitations. You're doc is lying to you, because they don't want you taking the med for the wrong reason. The Euphoria = an average side effect and should be enjoyed.
Old 04-15-09, 01:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushidoSamurai View Post
I disagree when people say not to eat before or after taking adderall. People build up tolerance b/c they aren't getting proper nutrition. They get rail thin and look really unhealthy.

Don't expect to get all high. You're just suppose to feel alert or like you mind is completely awake and working.

I've been on addy for 3 months. I still feel that high feeling the first 2 hours. But i eat very healthy throughout the week and workout also.
Euphoria is a "High" The feeling you get on Adderall is Euphoria. Stop telling yourself it isn't. Whats wrong with admitting it?
Old 04-17-09, 08:20 PM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about

I was a bad boy yesterday, and had 8 beers before bed. (I only drink AFTER my meds have worn off)

Woke up with beer breath, (not good if you are a cab driver) so I did my old trick of taking a shot of garlic syrup. then I took my Adderall.

Seemed to give a boost in intensity and duration.

Today, (in the afternoon, which is my morning) I took my adderall, and another shot of garlic syrup to conferm my observation.

I will update tonite (morning for most people)
Old 04-17-09, 11:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School MBD View Post
I was a bad boy yesterday, and had 8 beers before bed. (I only drink AFTER my meds have worn off)

Woke up with beer breath, (not good if you are a cab driver) so I did my old trick of taking a shot of garlic syrup. then I took my Adderall.

Seemed to give a boost in intensity and duration.

Today, (in the afternoon, which is my morning) I took my adderall, and another shot of garlic syrup to conferm my observation.

I will update tonite (morning for most people)
Really? I might want to try this. What brand and were can I find this?