ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 09-14-09, 12:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

bandie08 will become famous soon enough
Question Why do medications like Adderall and Vyvanse decrease your appetite?

I am on Vyvanse and I can't eat anything because I get full. I am just not hungry. I sometimes feel sick after I eat something when I take the medicine. Its a side effect but why does that happened?

Trumpet + ADHD = Fun
Old 09-15-09, 01:39 PM
Jr Member

IronFusion is on a distinguished road
Re: Why do medications like Adderall and Vyvanse decrease your appetite?

Decreased appetite seems common. No appetite is no acceptable. Try eating larger, but nutritionally proportioned, meals while not on the medication. It is important to keep your caloric intake fairly level through the day, and additionally more important to keep blood sugar levels up (up being steady @ normal).
If you also typically become thirsty then factor that into your eating habits. It is much easier, and very beneficial to eat lots of small, snack, portions of food while on the med. If you're starting with a baseline feeling of thirst, then eating crackers or a piece of bread is not a smart choice- eat something luscious instead. I've generally found that sticking to a particular diet aids in general, alleviates not being able to eat a large(r) meal in one sitting, and actually allows me to eat more in the long run. Find a way to read the on-med ques to hunger. How long have you been on vyvanse?
Having the issue, as common as is may be, and additionally thinking of changing your dietary habits a bit is enough reason to speak with your doctor.
Oh- the alteration of the kinetics of dopamine in the brain is the largest contributing factor to decreased appetite
Old 09-15-09, 05:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,312 Times in 1,326 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Decreased appetite is almost a "rule," it is so common. Stimulant medications at one point were prescribed for weight loss.

To answer your question, though, the answer seems to be "we don't really know." I managed to find one article (Davis et al, 2007) which implicates a genetic combination with dopamine transporter DAT1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis et al
Response to psychomotor stimulants is highly variable across individuals. Such inconsistencies are influenced by many factors including drug dose and polymorphic differences in genes that encode proteins, such as the dopamine transporter (DAT1), which are relevant to the site of action of these substances. The current study used a double blind, crossover (methylphenidate vs placebo) design to assess DAT1 genotype differences on appetite ratings to a snack-food cue in subjects with binge eating disorder (BED) (n=32) and healthy age-matched controls (n=46). ANOVA results indicated a significant genotype x diagnostic group interaction whereby BED subjects with at least one copy of the 9-repeat allele showed a significant suppression of appetite in response to methylphenidate compared with controls with this allele, or to subjects with the 10/10 genotype (irrespective of diagnosis) whose drug response was indistinguishable from placebo. The most probable explanation for these findings is that some, currently unknown, genetic variant, which is overrepresented in those with BED, interacts with DAT1 to suppress appetite in response to stimulant administration. The current findings have implications for treatment response to drugs currently in use (or being developed) for the treatment of overeating and overweight.
Other than this, I'm coming up blank. Typically appetite is associated with serotonin, not dopamine or norepinephrine, which is what stimulants primarily work on as far as we know.

Davis C, Levitan RD, Kaplan AS, Carter J, Reid C, Curtis C, et al. (2007). Dopamine transporter gene (DAT1) associated with appetite suppression to methylphenidate in a case-control study of binge eating disorder. Neuropsychopharmacology, 32 (10), 2199-206.
really (09-18-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-09, 06:22 PM

unthought has a spectacular aura aboutunthought has a spectacular aura about

It has something to do with the pleasure/reward system and dopamine, one of the neurotransmitters increased by stimulants. Eating less on impulse and more for need perhaps, less for pleasure, less of a drive for things....

http://www.bnl.gov/bnlweb/pubaf/pr/2002/bnlpr052002.htm

Obesity and addiction linked to low amounts of dopamine.

And of course dopamine is used for controlling movement, activation, emotional response, ability to experience pleasure and pain.

Interesting to note that a lot of the side effects of antipsychotics and dopamine blocks, like akathisia, restlessness, tardive dyskinsia (uncontrolled movements, tics, etc), are the effects of losing control of your muscles, and other systems in the brain. There are many side effects or symptoms you can get from antipsychotic use that are very similar to ADHD symptoms. Another example is that ADHDers tend to have poorer motor coodination and control, evident in things like they have a tendicey to slump and have curvature in their backs and spine, posture, and sloppier hand writing, stuff like that, which most find improves when they get on stimulants.
Old 09-18-09, 06:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

bandie08 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFusion View Post
How long have you been on vyvanse?
Um about a year and a half. I was on Adderall but my doctor switched me to vyvanse.

Trumpet + ADHD = Fun
Old 09-21-09, 04:33 AM
Jr Member

Tossdingo is on a distinguished road

Amphetamines (like many ADD drugs) stimulate the sympathetic nervous system, which is the "fight of flight" system. While the doses taken (hopefully) aren't enough to get us into that kind of panic, by stimulating that system our bodies respond by decreasing appetite/saliva production, increasing heart rate, dilating pupils, and other stuff a critter might need to happen when running away from a bigger critter.

As for stuff to eat, I just bring packages of fruit/veggies/granola etc. with me and snack on it throughout the day. I can definitely relate to how bad a full-sized meal can look while on the drug.