ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 09-18-09, 01:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

innaminute will become famous soon enough
Question Question for those of you who take Strattera at night

Hi there,

Last night was Day 2 on 40mg of Strattera. I was on 25mg for a week which had its share of side effects, but Day 1 of 40mg brought on a whole new world of oddities.

Day 1 of 40mg, I took it at 8:30am. By 12:00 I had to leave work. I was still able to work at home, but I felt really ... awake and found it hard to verbalize my thoughts in any manner aside from typing. LOL.

So, yesterday I decided to switch to evenings. I went to my psychologist after work who said I was the personification of laid back. I didn't feel laid back! She said I seemed a little out of it, and I certainly was. I'd talk and then I wouldn't have anything to say anymore, so I'd finish my thought and just sit and wait for a question or try to find something to talk about. LOL (Usually never a problem for me!)

I took the medicine at around 8:00 last night and went to bed at 10:30. I think I finally fell asleep at 11:30 or so, tossed and turned, woke up at 2:50, and fell back to sleep probably around 4:00am. This morning I slept in until 8:30 or so (have today off) and I felt somewhat more awake than I typically do.

My question to those of you who take Strattera at night is:

What time do you take it? Do you take it immediately before going to sleep? Or do you take it earlier in the evening?

Do/did you feel any of these insomnia effects, and if you do/did, how long did it take before they went away?

Thanks so much!

-Innaminute (because I'll get to it innaminute).
Old 09-18-09, 02:30 PM

unthought has a spectacular aura aboutunthought has a spectacular aura about
Re: Question for those of you who take Strattera at night

I took 60mg QAM and QPM (8am and 8pm). No noticeable change on sleep paterns.
Old 09-18-09, 10:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

Thank you, unthought.

I'm going to try taking it right before I go to sleep and see what happens. I'm hoping once I get accustomed to the medication, this will decrease. The good news is that even though I didn't sleep well last night, I didn't experience the crappy side effects that I was feeling when taking the meds in the daytime, today.

So, here's hoping.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-09, 11:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,419 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute

I take mine at night. I don't sleep well in general, but when I consistently take my meds I think sleep better. But, I have been on Strattera for somewhere around 9 months. Since I don't sleep well most of the time (since I was a little kid), I don't think I'd be a good gage to go by.

I usually take it between 9p and 12a. Typically just before I go to sleep.

It's only your second day on 40mgs and only a week or so on Strattera, so you might be a bit off for a couple weeks. Hang in there. Patience is needed with this med.

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
The Following User Says Thank You to livinginchaos For This Useful Post:
alan1 (04-04-10)
Old 09-19-09, 02:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginchaos View Post
I take mine at night. I don't sleep well in general, but when I consistently take my meds I think sleep better. But, I have been on Strattera for somewhere around 9 months. Since I don't sleep well most of the time (since I was a little kid), I don't think I'd be a good gage to go by.

I usually take it between 9p and 12a. Typically just before I go to sleep.

It's only your second day on 40mgs and only a week or so on Strattera, so you might be a bit off for a couple weeks. Hang in there. Patience is needed with this med.
Thank you, livinginchaos.

I am not the most patient person in the world.

I took it last night at around 11:30, went to bed at 12 (well, probably at 12:30 - takes me about 30 minutes at least to settle down enough to stay in bed) and I woke up about 3 times ever 2 - 3 hours (more than normal) and it took me longer to get back to sleep than it normally does.

Tonight will be day 4 on 40mg, and hopefully things settle down.

One thing I forgot to ask my doc is if I'm supposed to take the 80mg in split doses, or all at one time (once I ramp up to 80mg on Wednesday).

Again, thanks for all the input.
Old 09-19-09, 02:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,419 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute

You've spent only a week on each dose (25, 40, the jump up to 80?) with a soon to be big jump?
That's a pretty quick titration for Strattera. Are you having any other side effects?

Patience is a hard thing to master for many of us with ADHD. But, it's definitely needed with Strattera. Hang in there!

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Old 09-19-09, 03:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginchaos View Post
You've spent only a week on each dose (25, 40, the jump up to 80?) with a soon to be big jump?
That's a pretty quick titration for Strattera. Are you having any other side effects?

Patience is a hard thing to master for many of us with ADHD. But, it's definitely needed with Strattera. Hang in there!
Yup, a week on each dose. My Psychiatrist said he could have me go up to 80mg right after the week at 25mg, but that he wanted me to go slowly. Apparently, slowly is a relative term, eh?

My side effects thus far:

At the first few days of 25mg:
  • Tingly scalp, skin, goosebumps
  • Feeling of an empty head (which was nice)
  • Not really feeling like I could verbalize much.
  • A slight headache.
  • (Gosh it's hard to remember what I felt)
  • Dry mouth, dry eyes.
  • "Out of it" feeling which kind of went away if I ate something.
  • Feeling hyper maybe 20 - 30 minutes after taking it, followed by...
  • Sedation a few hours after taking it, which could account for the "out of it" feeling. Like I could just fall asleep.
  • My allergies seemed to vanish - I could breathe clearly.
  • These mostly went away by the end of the week.
  • I was also taking it during the day.
The first day at 40mg:
  • Tingly scalp, skin, goosebumps
  • Not really feeling the sedated feeling - I seemed to have more energy but felt really out of it and like I had a hard time communicating via my voice. Typing was easier. LOL.
  • I left work early because I couldn't handle being around people feeling that way!
Days 2 and 3 on 40mg:
  • Day 2 took it around 8:30pm, felt hyper, had a hard time falling asleep and was restless via the night. Dry mouth. Not sure of anything else cuz I was asleep for 'em.
  • Day 3 (last night) took around 11:30pm and just had a real hard time sleeping through the night. Dry mouth when I woke up.
  • Today I haven't taken it yet, but this morning when I woke up I felt slightly sedated and out of it, but that wore off. Right now, I'm not feeling any out of it/sedated effects, and I'm feeling most like myself.
So, not sure if that answers your questions

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I have noticed a few "glimmers of hope" just in the last 10 days.

I am still hyperfocusing - if I'm deep in concentration researching or writing something and I'm interrupted, I get very jarred and apparently look pi$$ed off! And then I get frustrated trying to remember what I was thinking or saying... Will Strattera eventually help with that?

Thanks again.