ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 12-25-09, 12:35 AM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Very slow moving people

Slow people frustrate me.

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
Old 12-27-09, 11:08 AM

Kryistina is on a distinguished road

Slow people drive me bat nuts! I will, if blocked at a store by a flaming turtle race of slowpokes, walk exaggeratedly behind them, like a cartoon character, until I can finally find a way to squeeze past, at which point I walk like a road rage driver, speeding past them, cutting right in front of them, then speeding off to 'catch up' with where i would have been had I not been trapped behind them!

Oooh, it's like I ave steam billowing from my ears, times like that! Luckily, I'm only that rude when I'm in a HUGE hurry and the store is completely packed...

I never DRIVE like that though, too dangerous.

But I feel "like a snail on Trazodone" when I have to talk to people sometimes. I have to purposely slow WAY down so most people can follow what I am saying...

At my most recent DR appointment, I was told that I had only 15 minutes to talk about what i was there for. Since I had brought a list with 6 issues on it, I told the NP to listen fast. LOL I got through all 6 items, in detail, in less time than she had given me, acquired a referral to an allergist, a psycotherapist, someone else (I forget now), and two blood tests scheduled for the very next day. She was really sort and nasty with me though, and I don't think she enjoyed the experience one bit! LOL Serves her right for being snippy with me to begin with, at the start of my appointment!

Best proof of my ADD of the whole thing though; the one thing I neglected to write down, I forgot to talk about at all, until I was all the way home. :P

Yep, slow people make me crazy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kryistina For This Useful Post:
Covenant (12-27-09)
Old 12-27-09, 11:14 AM

Almost forgot, I have been a speedwalker since i mastered putting one foot in front of the other.

I once won a local 'olympics' challenge (walking race, no running allowed). Got the gold there, no problemo! *snicker*
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-09, 06:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Covenant has a spectacular aura aboutCovenant has a spectacular aura about

Hehe nice to see you can turn the fast-walking into something positive. Completely agree with the above, in high school we had a building with a corridor that went around the entire building so in breaks we used to just walk around the building and I pretty much always got to hear that I should walk slower cause they felt like they were trying to set a record :P Really can't enjoy such a slow walk, unless I happen to be with a person that I'm really having a good talk with, guess it has to do with being focused on the person and diverging your energy into that, rather than moving around

And the cutting and right and left, squeezing through every possible opening when I'm walking around in the city or in a store, is so recognizable . Always try to go early and get my shoppings done before the entire city get's flooded. Although these days apparently all moments of the day are busy moments in cities though . It's really not that I dislike buying, or shopping. It's much more the having to get there, through all those people that makes it such a pain .

On another note: the talking slowly is recognizable to. The hardest part for me is when you know what another person is going to say, and they still expect you to sit and listen . Or when they're meandering around the clue of a story and you're just really eating yourself up over not shouting at them to GET TO THE POINT! Must say that it can be positive if you know this about yourself. When I have to explain schoolwork to fellow students or anything like that I usually just take a deep breath and focus on trying to give a good and clear story to the person in front of me in a calm manner. So in that way you kind of put your energy into giving them a good story, so that they can learn their things better, and simultaneously you force yourself to be calmer, more focused, and at the same time to repeat the subject matter, which can never be a harm .
Old 12-29-09, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
The hardest part for me is when you know what another person is going to say, and they still expect you to sit and listen . Or when they're meandering around the clue of a story and you're just really eating yourself up over not shouting at them to GET TO THE POINT!
*pretends to pull out hair* Yeah, ya know?!? AAAARGH! LOL

Have I mentioned yet, that it's such a joy to be around like-brained individuals for a change?
Old 12-29-09, 07:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,006 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

It can take me forever to do some things: eating, getting ready, etc. But on the flip-side, I can walk/drive really fast and get frustrated with slow-**** stupid people.

I seem to function in two speeds: too slow or too fast. Mind you, from my perspective, time is moving just as fast in either mode.
Old 12-29-09, 01:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,805 Times in 6,170 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

well, I read quickly and can translate "faster than my own shadow" (plus vite que mon ombre!)
BUT I tend to be one of the slow people in stores, public transportation etc - because I'm distracted by something...
*hides under table*
Old 12-29-09, 04:42 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,113 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

I realized that my frustration with people moving slowly comes from my ability to think fast and come up with solutions fast.

I expect people to arrive at the same conclusions that I do... the logical ones... as fast as I do, and when they don't, I get very agitated/antsy while waiting for them to do so.

It gets even more irritating when they come to a completely illogical conclusion!

But then, I have to realize that this is the way my brain works, and they must have some sort of 'thinking deficit'... poor souls!

As far as driving goes...

I can be a real dumb*ss and push the limits while zooming down the highway... but thankfully most of the time I am not like this.
When I recognize how I am being (mostly now by realizing the tenseness in my body), I work hard at relaxing myself.

Driving is hard because I try to do the 'logical' thing like passing someone at a decent speed instead of slowly creeping alongside them.. making for a dangerous situation should either of us encounter a problem...
moving to the right-hand lane(the 'slow' lane here in the U.S.) when I do not need to be in the left lane, or else someone who wants to go faster is coming up behind me...
watching the on-ramps and moving over to the left lane early enough to allow the oncoming cars unimpeded access to the freeway...
stuff like that.

I have come to enjoy walking in crowded situations because I started viewing it as a challenge.. a game... I try to move as fluid as I can between people.

It's fun to be looking ahead, guessing the other people's next moves, adjusting my speed or body placement in order to gain the easiest path, the open spot ahead....
It does get frustrating though walking into a building only to have the people in front going really really slow... or stopping right inside the doorway to look around and figure out where they should be going!

To me, it's all about respect for each other (minding that you don't get in other people's way if you can prevent it), and thinking ahead or fast enough to make your decisions and get on with it!

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
Old 01-06-10, 11:02 AM
Contributor

brain chatter is on a distinguished road

I've been known to go the slow route.... but mainly the fast lane.... Christmas time is the worst.... last minute shopping (as always) and all those people.... who move like turtles. Get in, get out that's my style.
Old 01-06-10, 04:33 PM
Jr Member

Addlepated is on a distinguished road

This is one of my pet peeves! I guess it wouldn't matter so much if not for the fact that the worst of the slow people don't seem to have any clue that they take up space in the universe and consequently (and magically) just ONE of these folks has the ability to clog an entire supermarket aisle, hallway or sidewalk by themselves. *aaaargh!*
Old 01-06-10, 04:38 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addlepated View Post
This is one of my pet peeves! I guess it wouldn't matter so much if not for the fact that the worst of the slow people don't seem to have any clue that they take up space in the universe and consequently (and magically) just ONE of these folks has the ability to clog an entire supermarket aisle, hallway or sidewalk by themselves. *aaaargh!*

Exactly how I feel. Thanks.
Old 01-06-10, 10:41 PM

crumbaugh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmykeys View Post
Do they drive you crazy? My husband is so slow at doing everything. He is slow eating, slow moving, slow talking.....that is our major source of frustration. I am extremely quick at everything.

When he even changes the channel, he is slow. I don't understand. It's so incredibly frustrating.
My husband too, and it drives me crazy.

I have come to just hate talking to him on the phone as every sentence for him begins with LONG pauses that make me want to tear my hair out at times.

Love the man desperately but he's seems to be getting slower and slower with age and my tolerance level for the behavior can be very low if I'm feeling really stressed by other things.

We're stuck together forever though, and I don't think he's likely to change... and honestly, he shouldn't have to change to suit my preferences since his slow behavior isn't actually hurting anyone.

I'm trying to change my outlook on this reality in my marriage and see it as a chance to practice patience (not a strong suit of mine).
Old 01-07-10, 01:41 PM
Contributor

Dr. appointments kill me. A while back, sitting in a empty waiting room... 1hr after appt. time... I asked the receptionist what the hell was going on? When she returned I was taken right in to the exam room.
20 min later and fuming cause I could hear the doc in the next room just BSing with the patient, I demanded an explanation. The doc finally came in and I let loose...full guns... she fumbled to explain as I was yelling how much time and $ she just cost me....and that my time was just as valuable as hers..... I'm sure more, I was making about $200/hr at that time.... anyway, I threatened that I would be sending her a bill, she told me I should leave, and I proudly walked out... yelling at her the whole way.

I know I could have handled that a lot better, but THAT was just plain rude!
Old 01-08-10, 02:09 AM

mpw123 is on a distinguished road

I always get rude looks from people at the mall when I'm squeezing through the gaps between them just to move at my own comfortable pace.
Old 01-19-10, 08:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

crazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpw123 View Post
I always get rude looks from people at the mall when I'm squeezing through the gaps between them just to move at my own comfortable pace.
Me too!

I sometimes even feel awkward to say "Excuse me" cos I know they'll give me weird looks or say something!

Even though I hate slow-walking people, one of my friends always walks fast for no reason and it does annoy me at times. If I'm not in a "fast-walking" mood! And if I said slow down or something he'll just go "stop complaining" and then the others will snigger and I'll get more annoyed!
I think maybe it stems from childhood bullying - often they would try and get away from me by running off or walking fast. So maybe in the back of my mind I'm worried my friends these days are doing the same thing? I dunno.

And when people are talking to me and taking AGESSSSS to get to the point!! GRR! Drives me insane!! Sometimes I actually start bouncing up and down or flapping my arms cos I'm so impatient!

"You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same."

"Be crazy because there's no time to be cool."

"Don't follow in my footsteps, I run into walls."

http://www.facebook.com/cheekymonkey1990