ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-10, 05:41 PM
Jr Member

ruggermc will become famous soon enough
Newly ADHD Diagnosed 29yo Male - ruggermc from MO

Hi everyone, I am glad to have found a place to ask questions and get insight on my experiences with adult diagnosed ADHD.

A little background on me. When I was in college I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety. I tried a few different medications(serzone, lexapro) throughout my twenties until a few years ago I finally stuck with a low dose of Paxil(20mg).

A few months ago a new doc I am seeing said that a lot of my behavior as a youth and young adult could be explained by ADHD, it was really quite a revelation for me but supposedly my teachers had told my parents about it early on. They declined to seek medical help for me, instead trying to work through it naturally.

So here I am now, 29yo, married, career'd, mortgage'd, recently diagnosed and prescribed with Vyvanse, still on the low-dose paxil, and working on figuring out how much of my depression/anxiety comes from ADHD and how much is just me being me. Hopefully I will be able to find the right mix of meds and doses.

I am glad to have found a place like this and hope to find some insight and information.

-Thanks!
Old 02-02-10, 06:29 PM

bziebarth is on a distinguished road
Re: Newly ADHD Diagnosed 29yo Male

I can certainly feel for your situation. I was diagnosed at age 27. I am now 32 years old. I do not pretend to know everything about ADHD. I can share with you my experience and the things that have helped me.

Purchase the book, "Driven to Distraction". This was my first step. I did not believe that ADHD even existed. I even had a debate with a co-worker that people with ADHD were not taught to cope as children. She convinced me to read this book. It changes my life. After reading this book, I made an appointment for my ADHD test. Even though you have already been diagnosed, this book will still give elevate your insight into ADHD.

Purchase the book, "Answers to Distraction". This book is a follow up to "Driven to Distraction". It is written by the same doctors (who have ADHD). They run a research center for ADHD. "Answers to Distraction" provides strategies for coping with ADHD and even natural remedies. Every strategy was tested in their center and proved effective.

I found it very helpful to realize that ADHD is not a disability. There are many people that are very successful with ADHD. In fact, ADHD provides the ground work to achieve more than other people. We have the gift to "think outside the box". I believe completely in learning from successful people. I chose to research famous people with ADHD. This offered many great stories of people (i.e. Bill Gates, Sir Richard Branson, and Ty Pennington) that have ADHD.

Now that I am 32, I have had five years to research ADHD and learn about myself. I have not outlined every step that I have taken or piece of research that I have read. I have outlined the initial steps that I took after being diagnosed. I hope that this will start you down the path of ADHD understanding.

Last edited by novagal; 02-03-10 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: guidelines
The Following User Says Thank You to bziebarth For This Useful Post:
ruggermc (02-02-10)
Old 02-03-10, 03:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

Lost Focus will become famous soon enough
Re: Newly ADHD Diagnosed 29yo Male - ruggermc from MO

Welcome! I am right there with bziebarth about the book selection, and I am currently reading Answers to Distraction myself, with Delivered From Distraction sitting in my office waiting to be cracked by me once I finish this one.
Sponsored Links