ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-10, 08:32 PM
Forum Guru

CrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud of
Re: Behavuors Internet Verses Life

I *wish* I could regulate myself better in real life when it counts more! Unfortunately, I tend to blurt out everything on my mind, often interrupting people and saying things that are inappropriate I hate hate hate that about ADHD!!

On the internet, since everything is in writing, it gives me more time to think.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrazyLazyGal For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (05-17-10), APSJ (05-17-10), peripatetic (05-19-10)
Old 05-17-10, 10:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,125 Times in 1,637 Posts
Song of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant future

I am diff on line in the sense that I do not (to often) blurt out things and regret it later. On that note though, I am learning to have relationships in real time from the internet practice. This is the only place I have ever messed up and tried again...and again...and again...usually I just embarrass myself and run and hide. So I agree with meads statement...more refined here, and for myself would include getting better there.

Last edited by Song of Mercy; 05-17-10 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: added
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Song of Mercy For This Useful Post:
APSJ (05-17-10), danelady (05-20-10), meadd823 (05-19-10), peripatetic (05-19-10), Retromancer (05-18-10), ruby-lang (05-22-10), sarek (05-20-10)
Old 05-19-10, 11:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

birdchica is on a distinguished road

I'm actually more chatty in RL than on the internet, it takes more effort for me to stay on topic when I'm typing than when I'm talking to someone. I try to be nice, sometimes too nice both OL and RL, I'll hold back on saying something that might cause problems. The big exception to this is if I end up on a tangent about something that I'm passionate about, then I can't shut up!! The internet does give me a chance to ask questions that I'm too embarassed to ask in RL, very grateful for that.

Sometimes I'm a leaf, being carried by my whims and random thoughts
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdchica For This Useful Post:
APSJ (05-20-10), Song of Mercy (05-20-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-10, 01:21 AM
Contributor

ditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud of

I am very reserved online and in real life. I can't believe some members have only been on here for a couple of months or weeks even and have blown past me in number of postings!

In real life, I think too much. Online I think too much. I care too much about how how my words will come across online as well as in person, so I edit, edit, edit (in real life this is just thinking too much about how to say something the "right" way) as I'm sure I have offended in the past without intending it. Even when I feel like I've thought it through it often seems to come out the way I intended, so many times I say nothing at all or simply delete what I've written.

I am also fairly dyslexic and must reread so many times I can't justify the time it will take me to finish posting... in real life this just sounds like stuttering/stammering.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ditzydreamer For This Useful Post:
APSJ (05-20-10), birdchica (05-22-10), peripatetic (05-20-10), Song of Mercy (05-20-10)
Old 05-20-10, 10:41 AM

yanshcher is on a distinguished road

I am different in online than in my real life.

I think everybody is different in online from their real life. The matter is somebody accepts, somebody doesn't and somebody doesn't even know that they are behaving differently.
Song of Mercy (05-20-10)
Old 05-20-10, 12:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,125 Times in 1,637 Posts
Song of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzydreamer View Post
I am very reserved online and in real life. I can't believe some members have only been on here for a couple of months or weeks even and have blown past me in number of postings!

In real life, I think too much. Online I think too much. I care too much about how how my words will come across online as well as in person, so I edit, edit, edit (in real life this is just thinking too much about how to say something the "right" way) as I'm sure I have offended in the past without intending it. Even when I feel like I've thought it through it often seems to come out the way I intended, so many times I say nothing at all or simply delete what I've written.

I am also fairly dyslexic and must reread so many times I can't justify the time it will take me to finish posting... in real life this just sounds like stuttering/stammering.
I do not want to derail the topic, yet I feel compelled to touch base here.

I also think way to much. It can be really frustrating. I do not have the challenge of dyslexia, other than that I am very similar. For me, I have been mentally abused in my life. As a child I payed a price for saying the wrong thing, like to the point that I learned to pre-plan every word I said and at one point became so mentally distraught that I went mute for two weeks.

All I really want to say is that there are no correct number of posts, no correct length of posts, and no correct content within the posts. The only rules here are to remember that children access the site and certain words are unacceptable. Also, this is a world wide community and topics and/or posts that encourage hate or demean others will not be tolerated.

I have posted some crazy stuff, depressing stuff, inspired stuff, funny stuff, boring stuff, pointless meandering stuff....I have found a sense of acceptance in this community that freed me up to open up and be a bit more confident, a bit more expressive. Sometimes I still post stuff or have feelings about posts that make me uncomfortable...but never have I been mortally wounded here.

So, I just wanted to encourage you to let your self enjoy the forum and post as you feel comfortable. I would even encourage you, when you are ready, to post courageously, dyslexia withstanding...if perfect spelling keeps you from expressing yourself then let some of the less detracting typo's stand. We are all here together, we really are a community.

Song
APSJ (05-20-10), danelady (05-20-10), ditzydreamer (05-22-10)
Old 05-22-10, 07:29 PM
Contributor

Andrea715 is a name known to allAndrea715 is a name known to allAndrea715 is a name known to allAndrea715 is a name known to allAndrea715 is a name known to allAndrea715 is a name known to all

I need to find out where you guys are because I don't see people like this around me, I need to move to MN or WA or So Cal )
Old 05-22-10, 08:05 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,142 Times in 1,772 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

Day before yesterday I saw a couple of bikers wearing jackets with "Hell's Angels -- Washington" emblazoned on the back. Passive aggressive Hell's Angels ... the mind reels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea715 View Post
I need to find out where you guys are because I don't see people like this around me, I need to move to MN or WA or So Cal )
-- Oscar Wilde
Old 05-22-10, 10:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

vja4Him will become famous soon enough

I'm pretty much the same online as in real life. I try to be careful online though, not to give away too much information that hackers might try to use.
Old 05-22-10, 10:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

ruby-lang has a spectacular aura aboutruby-lang has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song of Mercy View Post
I have posted some crazy stuff, depressing stuff, inspired stuff, funny stuff, boring stuff, pointless meandering stuff....I have found a sense of acceptance in this community that freed me up to open up and be a bit more confident, a bit more expressive. Sometimes I still post stuff or have feelings about posts that make me uncomfortable...but never have I been mortally wounded here.
I think "confident" is the key word for me. Otherwise, I'm just as taciturn online and IRL.

I believe we human beings need a place where we can just rant or do something silly once in a while and not have people telling us to shush and conform.
The Following User Says Thank You to ruby-lang For This Useful Post:
Song of Mercy (05-23-10)
Old 05-23-10, 06:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

Nyarlathotep has disabled reputation

This made me think of that classic list of internet alter-egos:
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Here's me:

Quote:
Evil Clown is very quick with a joke, but his jests always have a barb. He has little patience for in-depth discussions and will often disrupt exchanges between serious forum participants by introducing irrelevant topics, fatuous quips, and offhand comments. His greatest thrill is to taunt and humiliate weaker or more plodding Warriors with his snappy ripostes. Not a particularly powerful Warrior, Evil Clown will attempt to avoid defeat by accusing his attacker of having no sense of humor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyarlathotep For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (05-23-10)